Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer LT
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know when the StabiliTrack Service light and StabilTrak indicator light come on together most users end up changing the steering wheel sensor or whatever, but could a failing front bearing cause these lights to come together as well? My StabilTrack is functing perfectly - I felt it engage today while drivings through a mass of snow and slush shittiness - but both lights have been on since startup this morning. My front bearings are both new last fall, but they were not the best brand, just cheaps that were available on the spot, and I have heard the passenger side doing the squeaking sound thing several times in the past two weeks. Probably going to need another better one. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
461 Posts
If the pickup is too far away from the tonewheel because of a really bad hub bearing -- then you can have a problem. Rare --- but possible.

If the tonewheel is contaminated with left over metal shards - then YES you can have a problem. This happens a lot more than misalignment problems too.

The StabiliTrack« works in the same playground as the ABS as they both use the same sensors.

I also believe that if a tonewheel is not reporting good numbers, then the ABS should be squawking too.

You can run a signal trace of the output from either of the tonewheels by getting into the output cable connex and putting a meter there to watch for a wig-wag* signal. Spin the wheel - off the ground, of course --- and watch for a signal.
  • * digital, really... but readable by any decent analog meter - the ones with the pointer, not a readout screen.

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer LT
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hasn't happened since! I was waiting a few days to see if it would pop up again, but nothing. Guess that is a good thing. Bearing is still lightly squeaking but otherwise it's service as usual.

·
Registered
461 Posts
You know - don't you - that bearings are supposed to be silent? ANY noise indicates that it will fail --- as it already IS failing.

If indeed, your wheel hub bearing assembly is squeaking like you said - it should be replaced before you have a catastrophic failure.

I find it hard to believe that a hub assembly is actually making noise - it might be bent sheet metal or an object stuck between the rotor and the caliper - a rock, a pedestrian's hip flask - almost anything but not a noisy hub assembly.

Noisy hubs don't last very long ------
-------- very few miles, really ---------------
-------------- again, if you are actually hearing a hub -----
------------------------- which you should not be able to hear----------
-------------------------------- in the first place -----
---------------------------------------just sayin'

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,325 Posts
It is very common on our vehicles that when hub bearing start failing they make noise. And this noise (vibration) will sometimes disrupt the wheel speed sensor signal and cause ABS and Stabiltrak issues.

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer LT
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The squeaking could be something else entirely as I have a busted strut on the same side, and the bearing has less than 4000km on it. There's NO roughness to the ride as there was when I replaced the bearings last fall either. Here in Canada we're on near complete lock down so I'm only really guessing about what's going on until it's OK to visit a garage again. If the bearing is the problem I will get it fixed ASAP. Probably at the same time as a new pair of struts if all goes well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts