Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so i have a 2007 tb 4x4 without the DIC and for about the past month the service stabilitrac lights (both the slippery when wet symbol with wrench light and the stabilitrac off light) have been coming on (solid) while driving. In the owners manual it states this this means the stabilitrac system is disabled due to a system fault. When i turn the vehicle off and restart it, they are gone but still are periodically coming back on. There is no certain condition that I have noticed when they come on (happens when both in 2 hi or auto 4wd) but i have had the car in with the dealer where I purchased it from 3 times and another chevy dealer once. Here are the service notes from the first service visit: SCAN CHECK COMPUTER. HISTORY CODE C0455, STEERING WHEEL POSITION SENSOR. RUN SYSTEM CHECKS, REPROGRAM EBCM WITH UPDATED SOFTWARE CALIBRATIONS, TEST DROVE/RECHECKED. UNABLE TO DUPLICATE CONCERN. ABS/STABILITRAC SYSTEMS OPERATING AS DESIGNED. Well after that visit, the issue is still occurring periodically and i have brought the vehicle back to that dealer twice and another dealer once and they are not duplicating the issue (of course) and they stated that there are no history codes in the computer when they scan it. Also there have been times when im driving and i break traction (snow and ice on ground where i live) the rear wheels act like they are locked and will bark/hop when making turns for a few minutes after the wheel slippage (even when not set to 4wd). In the loaner vehicle i was given by the dealer (also a 2007 TB) i have not duplicated the rear wheel locking issue under the same driving conditions. This is also not being duplicated on my TB by the techs because both issues are only happening occasionally and seem to only happen when i'm driving the car. Am i going crazy or does anyone else have any idea what is going on with my TB? I cant keep on wasting my time bringing it back and forth to the dealer and having them say that nothing is wrong. Whenever the warning lights come on, I dont have the convienence of driving straight to the dealer to show them the issue...does my car just hate me? Tonight when the warning lights came on, i drove straight to an auto parts store and left it running so the warning lights could not reset and had them plug up a code reader which did not read any kind of an error code. Can anybody shed some light on this situation? Thanks. :confused:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
Do you have a G-80 locker? Sounds like you do and has the diff. fluid ever been changed? Auto parts stores can only read engine codes, not trans, brakes, or any other driveline codes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, everything is stock with the diff. I only have around 17k miles on the vehicle, so would the diff fluid need to be checked yet? I havent noticed any leaks. I dont do any off road driving so i havent been hard on the car. Im supposed to drop it off at the dealer again 2morrow and they said they are going to check to see if there are any problems related to the ignition system. I am just hoping that the warning lights will come on while im driving there so i can prove to them that they are coming on. Hopefully this will be my last trip there and they will figure this out.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
35 Posts
mine does that periodically...i kinda think it might be a dirty sensor...but mine only does it in the winter.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
84 Posts
Mine did the same thing and the dealer said it wasn't a problem he said that the sensor just needed to be reset (via turning the car off and on again) but I don't know what the problem is because my stabilitrac still works even when the warning lights are lit.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
The G80 locking diff is an option, stock. Check your glove box label for the option code "G80". This means you have the locking diff, which will do what you describe on the locking up thing, especially when the fluid needs to be changed.

The symptoms you describe are a lot like when the reluctor wheels that the ABS/Stabilitrac use get dirty, and send some funny readings to the computer. Take the rotors off and see if your reluctor wheels are really dirty... Not just "dirty", but they should look stepped, almost like gear teeth. When I say "dirty", I mean the steps down are all filled up with mud/grit/metal shavings, and the reluctor wheel looks smooth. My granddad had that happen to his Silverado 2500, and the ABS would do funny things on him.

Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dropped mine back at the dealer for the 4th time this morning and was actually able to speak directly to a tech. After telling him what has been going on, he said that more than likely it is the steering wheel position sensor for the warning light issue. As for my issue with the rear wheels barking/hopping while making turns (after breaking traction) he said that there is a service bullitin for that and they are going to flush the diff which is supposed to stop that issue. Thanks the_chevys_exy for linking me to this thread...i searched before i started mine and must have looked over this. I'll also let you all know how mine is doing after I get it back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I just wanted to update that I picked my TB up on Weds morning and so far it seems that it is fixed (knock on wood). They were finally able to duplicate the stabilitrak warning lights and ended up replacing the steering wheel position sensor and flushed the diff.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,251 Posts
Well I just wanted to update that I picked my TB up on Weds morning and so far it seems that it is fixed (knock on wood). They were finally able to duplicate the stabilitrak warning lights and ended up replacing the steering wheel position sensor and flushed the diff.
Under warranty? I have to have this done as well, its annoying to see those lights on the dash.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
619 Posts
Mine did the same thing when I first bought. It happened around 3 times, both the stab light and the wrench light came on. It use to do it on small pot holes or small bump's. Everything seem's to be okay now.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
Same problem...

I am a new forum member and owner of a 2008 Trailblazer so I thought I would post my question here.

The StabiliTrak Indicator Light and StabiliTrak Service Light come on during startup which is normal, but occasionally they will come on a short time after I start driving the vehicle. It does not happen all the time and it seems to be more frequent in the cold weather.

I took the vehicle into the dealer service and they hooked it up to their scanner. No codes present or in history. They suspect a steering wheel position sensor is malfunctioning. With the scanner hooked up they turned the wheel from left to right but could not duplicate the code. They have seen this before on Trailblazers.

So my question...is this a do-it-yourself type of fix (replacement)? Is it an inexpensive fix?

mptc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts