Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car: 2007 Trailblazer SS AWD, 110,000 miles

Regular maintenance done as manual prescribes.

The trans fluid and screen changed July 5,2011 by trusted local mechanic who claimed trans fluid spued from dip stick before draining fluid. He refilled with 4 and 1/2 quarts of recommended fluid and checked for a clogged vent. Eight days later now the trans won't shift but will drive to 35mph.

We took the SS to the dealership where they said my mechanic may have clogged a port??? That was found not to be the problem. They then said it may be a faulty celenoid. That seemed also not to be the problem.

Now the dealership says it seems to be getting worse and they suggest a $3400 rebuild that will take several weeks.

Your thoughts, suggestions, and comments are welcomed...

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
566 Posts
Run as fast as you can away from the dealer and take it to a reputable transmission shop......That's what THEY do.....Fix transmissions and only transmissions.....Better diagnosis and probably a better $ deal $.....should only have the car a few days....not several weeks....

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
1,357 Posts
Run as fast as you can away from the dealer and take it to a reputable transmission shop......That's what THEY do.....Fix transmissions and only transmissions.....Better diagnosis and probably a better $ deal $.....should only have the car a few days....not several weeks....
:iagree: He's absolutely right... :yes:

·
Registered
413 Posts
And good tranny shops will know little tips and tricks to improve the tranny for both longevity and functionality, like using improved later model year parts whereas the dealer will use strictly the OEM overpriced parts.

Out of warranty, there is no reason to ever go to the stealership unless you really have to.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the input. I will be trailering the SS to a recommended tranny shop on Wednesday for a second opinion and diagnosis. The shop owner claims $2500 max on a worst case senario and a two to three day turn around.

I'll report back at the conclusion of the job...

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Honestly for 110k on a stock trans in an SS, consider yourself lucky. Most dont make it over 50-60k.

If you plan to keep your SS for a while, buy a built trans and skip the standard rebuild. RPM Transmission or Phoenix Transmissions make stronger than stock transmissions starting at $2000. Still have to have it installed, but they're built really well and Id trust one of them over an unknown shop's build.

Whatever you do, RUN from that dealer.

Just my :m2:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Add an external tranny cooler. Heat is the #1 enemy of automatic transmissions. Every vehicle I have ever owned I added a cooler and NEVER had a failure. My '93 Blazer with the original 700R4 is at almost 400k Km and still running (currently using it off road on our wood lot). I always use the biggest cooler possible and is the first thing I add.

Second thing I did was use synthetic fluid. Nowadays with Dexron VI, it's already synthetic so that's all good.

One thing I noticed on my TB is that the cooler lines run pretty close to the catalytic converter. I'm thinking of wrapping them in header wrap or some sort of other cover, like what they used on the heater hoses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts