Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call from my buddy the other day...His buddy's going to sell me his SS rims and Tires with possibly 2 summers of tread left (depending on how I drive) for $500. He got new tires for his aftermarket rims and just wants the money he spent on those out of the stock SS'rs. Rims have never been curbed or lashed but he said the clear coat looks funny. Im thinking about stripping the clear coat and polishing? Any help, ideas, or opinions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,339 Posts
That's what I did.
My clear was a little cloudy looking, so I took the tires off and used a stripper to remove the clear coat (I could have done it myself, but it was better watching the stripper do it:D).
Then I polished them up. I thought about having them re-cleared but decided to just keep them polished.

While some may strip the clear off with the tires on, I'm sure the stripper isn't good for the rubber so I took them off.

Stuff I used was called DAD'S - or something like that. Spray it on - hose it off. It took two treatments plus a little to remove it - but I'm happy with the results.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
1,002 Posts
i saw pics of wheels before that were supposedly polished to a mirror like finish then had a clear powdercoat done on them. if thats what was done it look really good.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I did.
My clear was a little cloudy looking, so I took the tires off and used a stripper to remove the clear coat (I could have done it myself, but it was better watching the stripper do it:D).
Then I polished them up. I thought about having them re-cleared but decided to just keep them polished.

While some may strip the clear off with the tires on, I'm sure the stripper isn't good for the rubber so I took them off.

Stuff I used was called DAD'S - or something like that. Spray it on - hose it off. It took two treatments plus a little to remove it - but I'm happy with the results.
What steps did you have to take after removing the clear to get them polished? Sanding involved? Or just a polishing compound?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,339 Posts
The stripper didn't hurt the original finish at all, so I just used a lot of elbow grease and Mothers to improve upon the factory finish.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your wheels look great!!! Can't wait to get mine, Ive got 2 more weeks of school n then going home for the summer. Hopefully i can make enough cash to get the rims ASAP

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The guy said they're not for sale unless i buy them...So theyre pretty much locked up :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts