Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed there has been some talk about paint chipping behind the front wheels/ front of the rear wheels and along the rocker panels. GM has a service bulletin (#03-08-111-002D) out addressing this problem. It calls for the installation of a "protector kit" (part# 15783524) which retails for a price of $280.15. Has anyone on here had this installed yet? If so, what did the kit consist of ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,919 Posts
I have the same problem with my '04 Envoy XUV! :hissy:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OurZoo said:
I have the same problem with my '04 Envoy XUV! :hissy:
Your vehicle has the same service bullitin# but they(GM) uses a side step package part#12498007 to help correct the problem.

BIGBOS said:
So it retails at 280, but since its a "problem" is it free?

If you have a decent service dept at your dealership they should take care of you:yes: If you dont, you might hear "Implementation of this Service Bulletin requires case-by-case review and approval by your Area Service Manager PRIOR to the performance of any repairs." :weird:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,919 Posts
Thanks for the part #. I don't think I'll be putting those nasty things on my truck. Guess I'll have to touch it up on my own and/or deal with it. :duh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
521 Posts
I've pretty much quit driving my Trailblazer until this issue is resolved as I'm pretty fed up with the number of chips on the rockers and rear doors and there isn't even that much debris on the roads in my neck of the woods.

I've already pulled off the factory painted rocker panels and I'm going to be replacing them with the nonpainted black plastic ones. Then I'm putting mudflaps on behind the front wheels and getting some 3M paint protector custom cut for the bottoms of the front and rear doors.

So for the time being I'll be practicing my paint chip repair skills on the original rocker panels so I can the tackle the ones on the doors. Bleh.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,026 Posts
Silver_06 said:
I've pretty much quit driving my Trailblazer until this issue is resolved as I'm pretty fed up with the number of chips on the rockers and rear doors and there isn't even that much debris on the roads in my neck of the woods.

I've already pulled off the factory painted rocker panels and I'm going to be replacing them with the nonpainted black plastic ones. Then I'm putting mudflaps on behind the front wheels and getting some 3M paint protector custom cut for the bottoms of the front and rear doors.

So for the time being I'll be practicing my paint chip repair skills on the original rocker panels so I can the tackle the ones on the doors. Bleh.
how did you make out??

I'm noticing this too, my service dept is "looking into it" and did not sound too enthusiastic about the TSB I gave them:duh: (one posted above) are there molded flaps for these?? and without any insignias etc.?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
521 Posts
TonyGXP said:
how did you make out??

I'm noticing this too, my service dept is "looking into it" and did not sound too enthusiastic about the TSB I gave them:duh: (one posted above) are there molded flaps for these?? and without any insignias etc.?
So far so good...Linky. Plain black mudflaps on order from GM.

Pulling the painted rockers off was a pain in the butt. There are scuff panels on the front and rear door sills that just do not want to come out. GM could have used a more forgiving expanding metal clip to snap the parts into the body but didn't for whatever reason. I'll be using some double sticky tape when I reinstall the parts.

The black rockers list for $174 ea. if they have to be ordered from the dealer.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Called GM today to see what is in this protector kit. They said it had 5 items in it which consist protective film and adhesive.

TonyGXP said:
how did you make out??

I'm noticing this too, my service dept is "looking into it" and did not sound too enthusiastic about the TSB I gave them:duh: (one posted above) are there molded flaps for these?? and without any insignias etc.?
Let me know if your service dept "slow walks you". I have a phone# that might speed things up:yes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,026 Posts
Greg said:
Called GM today to see what is in this protector kit. They said it had 5 items in it which consist protective film and adhesion.



Let me know if your service dept "slow walks you". I have a phone# that might speed things up:yes:
thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Find a new service dept....immediately

Let me tell you how it goes when a "know-it-all" customer comes in with a TSB in hand...most technicians have experienced the hypochondriac car owner that lives and dies by TSBs. This customer's car will experience a TSB symptom even if the TSB isn't for his model/engine/transmission variant. Every technician has experienced this.

Now how to deal with it...Be straightforward about your desire to keep your SS in perfect shape. Ask to speak the manager and ask him to call the ASM for approval to be "proactive" about this one. Remind him that you bought this vehicle not as a beater...but as your pride and joy...do it nicely. You'll find some shops are better than others about looking into TSB information...those are the ones you want.

I've approached my dealer on both the foglights and the protective film...both times I've been told yes. We are still waiting for the foglight brackets...but the film will be done tomorrow...under warranty.

I waited until the tech that was working on my SS the first time told me that he saw a problem before I told him that I used to wrench for GM and that I now teach their tech program...I figured I would soft sell my opinions the first time around! It worked great and I now have a tech that I would trust my Chevys to. I've got a Pontiac tech that I'd trust with my life...not there on the Chevy...but I feel like it will be an easy trip.

My dad's first 1k Solstice was just entrusted to this Pontiac tech to lower, cat-back, and CAI for us...go read about the crazy Pontiac dealers on the Solstice forums...these guys are so desparate for a car to show off...that some have given test drives in a customer's vehicle! You're darn right you better be able to trust a dealer and a technician. I stopped by the Pontiac dealer last night to check on the girl and she was locked up tight in the shop instead of out back in the lot...gotta love dependable techs!!!

Take your time and find a shop you can trust. There are some dealerships...not stealerships...still out there. I'm not saying anyone posting on here has shoved the TSB down the service writer's throat...just pointing out that honey will get you more than vinegar at a good dealership.

Have a great one!!! I'm gonna go wash the black beauty again...lol.
 

·
Banned
chevy
Joined
·
12,260 Posts
GaryTucker said:
Let me tell you how it goes when a "know-it-all" customer comes in with a TSB in hand...most technicians have experienced the hypochondriac car owner that lives and dies by TSBs. This customer's car will experience a TSB symptom even if the TSB isn't for his model/engine/transmission variant. Every technician has experienced this.

Now how to deal with it...Be straightforward about your desire to keep your SS in perfect shape. Ask to speak the manager and ask him to call the ASM for approval to be "proactive" about this one. Remind him that you bought this vehicle not as a beater...but as your pride and joy...do it nicely. You'll find some shops are better than others about looking into TSB information...those are the ones you want.

I've approached my dealer on both the foglights and the protective film...both times I've been told yes. We are still waiting for the foglight brackets...but the film will be done tomorrow...under warranty.

Take your time and find a shop you can trust. There are some dealerships...not stealerships...still out there. I'm not saying anyone posting on here has shoved the TSB down the service writer's throat...just pointing out that honey will get you more than vinegar at a good dealership.

Have a great one!!! I'm gonna go wash the black beauty again...lol.
I didn't mention the TSB til after they said "well its not our fault rocks bounce up."
 

·
Registered
2006 chevy
Joined
·
538 Posts
OurZoo said:
Thanks for the part #. I don't think I'll be putting those nasty things on my truck. Guess I'll have to touch it up on my own and/or deal with it. :duh:
Yikes..I agree.
 

·
Banned
chevy
Joined
·
12,260 Posts
If they woould fix the damn paint I would PAY for the protective film and whatever guards I need to prevent it from happening again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Please don't think I'm slamming anyone...

I don't mean my post earlier to come across as saying "you did something wrong"...I was just trying to give some insight from the service side of things. Believe me, I feel GM should have done this right in the first place...the TSB has been out for awhile if I recall. There is no reason that a reputable dealer won't do this repair under warranty without any cost to you. All it requires is a call to their ASM to get their approval. I believe this constraint is to prevent dealers from buying up a bunch of discounted running boards...yes, when a part goes on a TSB, it is discounted...imagine that! I've seen it happen before...some dealer will figure out that the discounted boards are cheaper to order and install than ordering boards on the stock units...he or she will buy out the supply for a short time...and wreak havoc on all the other dealers that are trying to service customers' needs.

GM has to do restrictions in cases like this because of the screwy :weird: dealerships that will abuse the system. I think you'll find the dealerships that are reluctant to do this repair may have some issues already with their ASM and don't want to call them.

Hope this clears up my post earlier...
 

·
Registered
2006 chevy
Joined
·
204 Posts
Would a dealership that DIDN'T sell you the vehicle still be compensated if they perform the TSB? I am assuming that GM picks up the tab if the ASM approves it?

Eric
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
steined said:
Would a dealership that DIDN'T sell you the vehicle still be compensated if they perform the TSB? I am assuming that GM picks up the tab if the ASM approves it?

Eric
Yes:yes:
 
1 - 20 of 130 Posts
Top