Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, I've had it 2 days and I already have the bug. First stop is probably the most obvious, a high flow filter. So, does anyone have the K&N part number, or is there a better option? Also, I was over on the GTO forum, and there was some talk about K&N filters frying the MAF and actually causing a loss in power. What's up with that?

Also, has anyone monkeyed with the airbox yet to increase airflow?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
If its 1009E, isn't that the same number as the I6 uses? - If so, Wal-Mart carries them. (Actually they carry most of the popular K&N part numbers AND the recharge kits).

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Yea, all TBs use the E-1009 filter element, but K&N doesnt have an intake yet, so if that is what you are looking for, have to wait and see.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
1,966 Posts
Yeah I saw that K&N kit, it appears to have a backing shroud now. I may order one up to test but I think I'm going to end up fabbing one out of SS tubing and powder coat it to use the stock box since it seems to seal very well.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
106 Posts
I had the grille off of mine the other day and that cold air vent in between the light is a joke. They left the airbox open on the bottom and a half dollar sized hole to feed it. I can't imagine that their isn't room for improvement...

·
Registered
2007 gmc
11,894 Posts
Just added a K&N filter to the SS

I have to say there is a deffinate improvement in power. The stock filter looked like a Fram filter. The engine deff. needed more air.It was choking when I stomped the gas. Now it just goes.. so far the mileage looks to be a little better.Not I am trying to figure out how to replace the accordian tube from the box to the throttle body>:)

·
Registered
2006 chevy
1,966 Posts
The accordian tube is just part of it, the big problem is the resonators and the fact that it necks down cosiderably where it meets the airbox. Thats what our cold air system will address :)

·
Registered
2006 chevy
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I installed my K&N lastnight. Man, that airbox is a pain in the @[email protected]#@ to get into. You are right though, the factory air filter was junk. When I finally got the lid off, the filter had fallen off of the intake tube. The results seem pretty good, especially on the top end. The next project will be to open up that hole behind the headlight since that silver dollar sized hole doesn't seem like enough. I can really feel the air suck through that headlight vent now!

Thoughts on the factory box. It seems to be pretty well sealed/shielded from the engine compartment. What I thought was screwy is the big black box attached to the intake tube right after the filter (it is inside of the airbox cover). What the heck does that thing do? It seems like it would screw up the airflow to me, but I didn't have time lastnight to "delete" it. I may look for a piece of tubing to use instead of the factory coupler that includes the box. Additionally, the tube that runs from airbox to the throttle body has some kind of serious whacked out design. Again I would think a straight tube would make a huge difference in airflow as opposed to the maze that is the factory tube. Only issue is there is some kind of sensor that plugs into the side of it (what does it do???).

All in all the factory box is a pretty good design, it just needs some tweaking and a more direct link to the throttle body. Thoughts???

·
Registered
2007 gmc
11,894 Posts
westbayou said:
I installed my K&N lastnight. Man, that airbox is a pain in the @[email protected]#@ to get into. You are right though, the factory air filter was junk. When I finally got the lid off, the filter had fallen off of the intake tube. The results seem pretty good, especially on the top end. The next project will be to open up that hole behind the headlight since that silver dollar sized hole doesn't seem like enough. I can really feel the air suck through that headlight vent now!

Thoughts on the factory box. It seems to be pretty well sealed/shielded from the engine compartment. What I thought was screwy is the big black box attached to the intake tube right after the filter (it is inside of the airbox cover). What the heck does that thing do? It seems like it would screw up the airflow to me, but I didn't have time lastnight to "delete" it. I may look for a piece of tubing to use instead of the factory coupler that includes the box. Additionally, the tube that runs from airbox to the throttle body has some kind of serious whacked out design. Again I would think a straight tube would make a huge difference in airflow as opposed to the maze that is the factory tube. Only issue is there is some kind of sensor that plugs into the side of it (what does it do???).

All in all the factory box is a pretty good design, it just needs some tweaking and a more direct link to the throttle body. Thoughts???
the big black thing is the resinator... it quiets down the intake,(who wants quiet in a SS???) This weekend I am going to dig in and see what I can come up with. The senor is the MAF (mass air flow sensor) Measure the incoming air to adjust fuel/air ratio. Be gentle with it, not cheap to replace.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The sensor I was talking about wasn't the MAF (well aware where that is located), it is further up on top of the engine, it almost resembles a PCV valve that plugs into the side of the intake tube up on top of the engine (the part that makes the tube a maze more or less.) The resonator inside the box definitely needs to go then, just need to find a smooth tube piece to replace it with.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I did the K&N yesterday and saw that tube in the resonator on top of the engine. I don't know what it does either, but if you forget to plug it back in for an hour, it doesn't set any codes:duh: Chris, do you know what it's for? Will your system have a hole for it or will it go away?

As for the resonator in the box, I'd almost like to just block it off and leave it. It looks like it anchors the filter. If the hole were plugged, it probably wouldn't hurt anything to remain, right?

·
Registered
2006 chevy
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good point on it anchoring the filter. I am betting it would be pretty easy to seal the hole with a little tape or something, and put a small amount of resin in there to fill it. Once it cures, sand it smooth on the inside, and then you have a nice smooth surface with no resonator, but you can still use the resonator as an anchor.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
1,966 Posts
Wavydavy GTO said:
I did the K&N yesterday and saw that tube in the resonator on top of the engine. I don't know what it does either, but if you forget to plug it back in for an hour, it doesn't set any codes:duh: Chris, do you know what it's for? Will your system have a hole for it or will it go away?

As for the resonator in the box, I'd almost like to just block it off and leave it. It looks like it anchors the filter. If the hole were plugged, it probably wouldn't hurt anything to remain, right?
The tube going to the resonator is the PCV fresh air tube and as such will be part of our kit.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So Chris, does that mean if I fabricate a direct tube to the throttle body, and thus eliminate the resonator on top of the engine, all I need to do then is tap the pipe and use a grommet to re-install the PCV valve? I am pretty confident I could fab up something nice assuming that is all I would need to do. Eliminating the resonators seems like it would do a lot for airflow. You seem to know a lot more about this than most, so your help/input is GREATLY appreciated!

·
Registered
28 Posts
GTPprix said:
The tube going to the resonator is the PCV fresh air tube and as such will be part of our kit.
Cool, too bad I sold the Speed Inc. induction tube from the goat when I put the maggie on, might have been able to cut it down and use it.

BTW, how'd the move go?

·
Registered
2006 chevy
1,966 Posts
Westbayou by all accounts that should be fine :)

Wavy, moving day is tomorrow. The weather up here really screwed things up :( (Hence the reason the ECM/TCM stuff isnt for sale yet lol) Wanna come up and help me move? hehe

·
Registered
28 Posts
GTPprix said:
Westbayou by all accounts that should be fine :)

Wavy, moving day is tomorrow. The weather up here really screwed things up :( (Hence the reason the ECM/TCM stuff isnt for sale yet lol) Wanna come up and help me move? hehe
My brother-in-law flew down last week from Metro, his plane was delayed in leaving because the water truck froze up and they couldn't get any water in the plane. I'd come up, but, uh, oh yeah, I only have the two wheel drive TB. I guess I'd better stay here, sorry.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
1,966 Posts
Bwahhaahha SAVED! LOL This packing **** sucks, I should have left my cluster tools unpacked :\ Ah well I'll get you car stuff finished ASAFP.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts