Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2008 chevy
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always wanted to, just never took the time to. I did the first conversion in the Firehawk (or Trans Am) from all red to all blue... So I got the motivation the other day to do the SS finally and so happy I did! :)

Took stuff apart, no biggie on doing it, wasn't complicated. The main cluster was probably the easiest since all the stock bulbs were elevated and didn't have to push LED prongs through the circuit board like I did on the headlight, foglight, rear wiper and HVAC controls. I did have to remove the needles, but with a fork was no problem at all. Easy to reinstall too. When the cluster was out, I also changed the blinkers to blue... just to match. :) On all the LEDs, just used a 470ohm resistor for each one.

Headlight/fog/dome switch was pretty straight forward, just remove the stock bulb and solder a LED on each of the 4 bulbs. I actually did the 3 top and didn't realize there was a 4th one for the dome light button at the very bottom. I used a 470ohm resistor for each stock bulb. I also swapped out the head, fog and headlight cancel button indicators for blue LEDs. They were actually 5mm LEDs stock, so that was a simple replacement. I used 5mm LEDs at first, but they were pretty bright so I swapped them for 3mm and looks perfect.

HVAC was pretty easy, like the headlight switch. Just swapped them out for all 3mm LEDs with 470ohm resistors. I did NOT do the 4 (total) bulbs for the hot/cold lighting as I didn't want to not want the red to turn to purple. Whenever I pull it back out again, I will put white LEDs on those 4. Looks a little out of place IMO.

It probably was a problem, but below each resistor I put a piece of electrical tape on the boards. Just to be safe from shorts. It really wasn't too bad to do, but did have to take it all apart and test each bulb to find the polarity of them and write it down. I have that info if anyone would need it.

I tried like hell to find something to make the DIC and HVAC LCDs match before I put it together, but places were closed. I have an idea to do it, simple fix I believe. Just to note Also this was just the dash lighting, I still have a LONG road ahead of me because I still have to do all 4 door switches, the rear HVAC controls and the steering wheel lights. Hopefully will knock that out a switch at a time during the following week. More pictures to come, just wanted to share what I've got so far. :)

·
Registered
2008 chevy
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8,770 Posts
BADASS!! I'm jealous! yeah i know, i did this mod too, but i can be jealous right? :D

·
Registered
2007 chevy
1,268 Posts
that looks great i dont have the balls to mess around with that stuff.

·
Registered
2008 chevy
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The door switches as well as the seat memory switch done. They look purplish in the pictures for some reason, but look normal in person? They are more dim than the dash guages, but from the factory they're more dim than stock as well. I may open back up and swap the 5mm in each socket for two 3mm.

Steering wheel tonight. :)

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,568 Posts
i gotta finish mine up still... u forgot the steering wheel controls... did u do the rear window controllers yet? ive had nothing but problems with that one..

·
Registered
2008 chevy
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steering wheel tonight. :)
The rear window door switches don't light up, at least mine don't. if you're talking about the rear wiper, yep tha's done. Wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
2008 chevy
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If anyone wanted to try to tackle this, here's some invaluable information to eliminate the PITA part, as well as possiblity of frying something of testing each socket. I will update it tomorrow when I do my steering wheel controls tonight.

DISCLAIMER: I ASSUME NO REPSONSIBILITY FOR ANY ERRORS

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
4 Posts
can i get some contact info for your supplies. this is a mod ill will do int the future.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
963 Posts
Putting this on the mod list, looks great. I just replaced some panel bulbs in my daughter's Tribute, those were in sockets and I just put the stock bulbs back in, no LED's. I've done my interior lights and reverse lights with LEDs but the the gauges look great. Thanks for posting up the diagram and photos.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,568 Posts
The rear window door switches don't light up, at least mine don't. if you're talking about the rear wiper, yep tha's done. Wasn't too bad.
didnt see u say the steering wheel sorry... i mean the rear seats power window buttons... unless that was somethign that got discontinued along the way.. i knwo mine light up...

·
Registered
2008 chevy
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll be doing my steering wheel tonight, seems easy though tiny!

Dang, guess they discontinued them. I figured mine light up and looked last night and nada... Sweet, 2 less switches to do at least though the front doors was the easiest part thus far.

I still gotta do the rear HVAC, but I'll do that when I get my vinyl in so I can just pull it out once. I'll have to remove the dash one last time to do the DIC and front HVAC LCDs... Good to go after that!

·
Registered
2008 chevy
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any suggestions on an easy way to get them the steering wheel housings off? I can get them off but there is little to no room to plug them back up... Do you remove the center of the steering wheel or anything? Just trying to figure out how I"m going test the polarity of them... Any help is appreciated!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts