Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, 05 Envoy SLT, 34000 miles. I have an underhood whine/howl when it is cold that tends to go away when it is warm. When I start it in the garage I hear the whine/whistle sound only but last week we had sub-zero high temps and when I would start it to warm it up before going home from work it will squeel the belt for 10-15 seconds, only in severe cold when the vehicle has sat for several hours. I took it in to the dealer and they replaced the idler pulley and it sounded fine when I left the dealers warm shop. When it sat outside my noise came back again. I have an appt. for it on Tuesday again and am planning on parking it outside the dealer Monday nite so the mechanic can start it when cold, hope the belt squeels for him. Any ideas on what the problem is??? Dealer said I won't have to pay my deductable on my extended warranty again since they didn't find the problem the first time so thats good. Ideas appreciated.

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
You may want them to look at the tensioner pulley as that get noisy too when it gets cold. You can tell if it is the serp belt if you spray a little water on it the noise will disappear for a bit.:m2:

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
132 Posts
Same problem on my 2006 trailblazer. took it in to the dealership and they had said that the pulley was out out of spec or not balanced something like that so they took care of that and put a new belt in because supposedly it had prematurely worn the belt down. Its been 3 weeks and so far no more noise.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
152 Posts
Same prob on my '02 SLE. Dealer ultimately replaced compressor and alternator and belt (under warantee) and the problem went away. That was 2 years ago now its starting again:duh:

·
Banned
2006 gmc envoy_denali
391 Posts
I know the thread is old, but I was reading this when I was having the same issue recently, squeel at start up and gone when warmed up, the colder it got the louder it got. I took it to the dealer expecting one of the above remedies. They replaced both belts and all is good. Truck is quiet now and I'm sure the neighbors will be happy too!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts