Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that when I go over bumpy roads at low speeds (nothing extreme, just normal everyday driving on regular roads), I hear squeeks and chirps. Hard to tell if it's coming from the front/back. Could be happening at higher speeds, but because of the outside noise at higher speeds, can't tell. I've done the hood stop adjustment/greasing with no success. I read in a thread about applying wd-40 on the front/rear sway bar bushings to see if it's those. Will that damage anything, or am I better off trying to squeeze some non-lithium grease or something else in there. I figured I'd try to lube them first just to see if that is causing the squeeks/chirps before I tried replacing them. Any other suggestions?

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
:hail:Roadie recommended WD-40 as a test for the squeaky sway bar bushings in another thread. Try those first then the control arm bushings. You are on the right track for sure :thumbsup:

I am positive that a search would have given you this information and I would be remiss in my duties if I did not mention this in my reply :undecided Good luck!

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:hail:Roadie recommended WD-40 as a test for the squeaky sway bar bushings in another thread. Try those first then the control arm bushings. You are on the right track for sure :thumbsup:

I am positive that a search would have given you this information and I would be remiss in my duties if I did not mention this in my reply :undecided Good luck!
Thanks. I did do a search and did try some of the recommendations from the threads, that's how I found out about the WD-40 and sway bar bushings. Just was asking about the WD-40 thing cause another thread I read said non-lithium grease, so wasn't sure which one to use, if one would cause more problems than the other down the road since from reading other threads I believe you don't normally lube those stock ones.

I don't normally create a thread before searching cause i know how people get irritated with that. Sorry if it came across that I didn't do a search first.

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
Thanks. I did do a search and did try some of the recommendations from the threads, that's how I found out about the WD-40 and sway bar bushings. Just was asking about the WD-40 thing cause another thread I read said non-lithium grease, so wasn't sure which one to use, if one would cause more problems than the other down the road since from reading other threads I believe you don't normally lube those stock ones.

I don't normally create a thread before searching cause i know how people get irritated with that. Sorry if it came across that I didn't do a search first.
No problem! Just had to check. You will most likely have to replace them to cure the issue. As Drolds points out below, the replacement ones come with zirks and the factory ones do not. The WD 40 is just the test method as you must change them out to fix it properly.:D

I had the same issue, and it was the swaybar bushings. Replaced the pair for about $10 at Napa. Very easy to change.
It is nice when its the easy fix instead of the expensive fix :thumbsup:

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
To your question about WD-40. It is completely safe for the bushings. Just don't smoke around it. It is flammable.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I WD-40'd the crap outta the bushings (tried to get all the bushings not just sway bar) but still have the squeeks/chirps. I'm not sure if the WD-40 is really penetrating some of them, so I think I'll just have to start replacing one by one and go from there.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
54 Posts
I have the same chirp/squeeks. I'm planning on replacing my sway bar bushings, but from looking at other threads, it looks different on my '06 compared to earlier years. Looks like earlier years you just need to unbolt and slip the bushing at the end. But when i was looking at mine, it looks like it's more towards the center, do I need to remove the entire sway bar to put the bushing on? Am I missing something or looking at the wrong thing? The rear looks to be the same. My service manual calls the piece which I think is the bushing on the sway bar an insulator, are they the same thing?

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
270 Posts
I have the same chirp/squeeks. I'm planning on replacing my sway bar bushings, but from looking at other threads, it looks different on my '06 compared to earlier years. Looks like earlier years you just need to unbolt and slip the bushing at the end. But when i was looking at mine, it looks like it's more towards the center, do I need to remove the entire sway bar to put the bushing on? Am I missing something or looking at the wrong thing? The rear looks to be the same. My service manual calls the piece which I think is the bushing on the sway bar an insulator, are they the same thing?
You can always take a photo and draw an arrow using "Paint" on your computer and get it uploaded to your posting. This way our friends here can surely help you out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
AC plastic tubing and vents in the headliner. Took my dealer 6 times over 3 years to fix it. Have someone else drive, and sit in the back. The hatch on mine also rattled and squeeked. The glass still rattles. The dealer finally wrapped the whole plastic tube for the vents in shop towels and tyraps. Wonky, but at least that part of my Envoy is quiet.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
54 Posts
Do I have to raise my envoy (to relieve compression on the suspension) if I'm just changing out my bushings (front/rear)? Or can I do it while it's flat on the pavement or on ramps? My manual says it should be lifted, but it's got all the end links and other parts in that section for replacement too, I'm just wanting to do the sway bar bushings.....

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
270 Posts
Do I have to raise my envoy (to relieve compression on the suspension) if I'm just changing out my bushings (front/rear)? Or can I do it while it's flat on the pavement or on ramps? My manual says it should be lifted, but it's got all the end links and other parts in that section for replacement too, I'm just wanting to do the sway bar bushings.....
If it's only the sway bar bushings, you don't need to lift the truck, but it's preferable to get some more space for work and another hand of a friend to hold things for you.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I replaced mine last weekend with Napa parts (polyurethane fronts, rubber rears) and my little chirps and squeeks didn't go away, sometimes I think they sound worse. So what do you guys think I should try next? Links? Arm bushings?

should I put some lithium grease on the bushings before installing them onto the sway bar, or just install them as is?
I put grease on them when I installed it.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
270 Posts
Turn the wheels all the way left. Get the help of a friend. Let him hold the steering wheel. Go near the wheel with a long metal pipe to be used instead of a stethoscope (or get one). Let your friend lock the steering left and release intermittently until you hear the sounds coming. Place the pipe on the area you suspect that it produces the sound with the other end of the pipe at your ear. Move between parts until you hear it loudest. I suspect the lower lever front bushing. I used to hear squeaks as if metal scratches against another metal part, and gone with the wind after I changed the bushings. Do the same with the right side to check if the sounds are coming from there.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When I first started this thread, I had thought that my chirps/squeeks was from one of the suspension components. Well, yesterday I was under my envoy, poking around to see if I could pinpoint the sounds and I had unintentionally bumped my gas tank and heard the chirp/squeek! It seemed to be localized in one location. If I press on the bottom of the tank next to the last holding strap of the tank, it chrips/squeeks. I couldn't get my hand above the tank in that area to see where it's rubbing/squeeking against and a mirror wasn't much help. I had a hard time trying to pinpoint exactly where the squeek is coming from because of the clearances of the tank. From what I could reach on the top of the tank, none of the fuel lines are rubbing against the tank & metal. I'm debating if it's even worth it to drop the gas tank to see what's really going on as it seems like a P-I-T-A to remove just for these chirps/squeeks. I might just have to live with this one for now until something else goes wrong with the fuel sys.....ugghh. Just thought I would let people know that this is a possible source of chirp/squeek and something easy to check.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.