Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I have a 2006 Envoy Denali with an ever increasing SQUEAKY dash. It only squeaks when moving so I've eliminated the blower fan or CD player.

Does anyone have any insight to this and what it could be. I'd like to get opinions before I tear the dash apart!

Any pointers and all comments appreciated!

thanks
~stevekuznicki

·
Registered
2005 chevy
16 Posts
I've got the same issue too - and it's driving me INSANE. Most noticable during cold weather it seems. I have narrowed it down to the passenger side corner of the dash near the windshield, but can't seem to fix it. Eager to hear if our thinktank out there has a fix...

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
525 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 96 Z24 Cavalier. What I had to do to fix it was take the panels held in with clips off, massage the clips so that they have a tighter fit. Most importantly before putting the panels back on I had to place a thin strip of foam weather strip w/ the adhesive backing (low density) where the two panels meet. This combined with the tighter clips solved the annoying squeaking. I hope this idea helps. Good Luck

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
572 Posts
And here I thought I was the only one that had this annoying issue. I tend to focus on stuff that annoys me and this has my undivided attention and it makes me wanna smash the thing!
I have a feeling the only fix is to take it off and tighten the clips like ^^^ he said. I also have a plastic to plastic sound on the sides of the dash the drives me nuts. I'm not looking fwrd to tackling these issues at all.:hopeless

·
Registered
525 Posts
Its not to bad at all once you determine what panels are clipped in place, or narrow down the squeak.Once you have the materials it should take less than an hour, but even if it takes a little longer the squeak will be gone and you will have your sanity back.

·
Registered
572 Posts
That's my issue, I have no clue what is clipped in where. Ill have to refer to my chiltons to see if it gives some detail.

I have radio issues also so I might just tackle it all at once.

·
Registered
525 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great info! I'm tackling this job right now. The squeaking has gotten worse and I have this Saturday afternoon free (a rarity). I'll let you all know what I found and the fix.
thanks!

~stevekuznicki

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no luck yet. i tore apart the top dash and the radio bezel (which forced me to remove the center console!) - yet could not locate the source of the squeak. could it be in the blower/heat duct? i'm afraid i will need to tear apart the whole dash now. what a headache! any shortcuts anyone can suggest?

thanks!
~stevekuznicki

·
Registered
525 Posts
You may not have any obvious signs of a squeak, its just a process of elimination of things you think might be squeakig. Any platic on plastic areas that connect with clips is a good place to start. Dont forget to add the low density foam weather strip or felt to these areas before reassembly, this way you should be able to eliminate them as a culprit. Also take a look at the glove box. Your squeak only happens when moving so, if you have narrowed the search to the dash, I think it could be the trim at the base of the windshield or the glove box area. Have a buddy or your wife drive the truck on a somewhat rough road while you trace the squeak, you will have better luck trying to find it this way,than if you are driving and trying to locate it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok, maybe my hearing isn't all that great anymore- but I can't, for the life of brian, locate this fricking squeak! I put my dash back together, stopping short of taking off the blower ductwork. i reached in as far as I could and pressed and held the remaining dash parts as my wife drove down the road. still could not stop or locate this squeak.

Could it be possible my body is squeaking on my frame somehow? i know my '98 Jimmy has horrendous squeaks in the rear body. could the lack of a lube job cause a squeak? at this point i'm just looking for some experience in opinions...

thank
~stevekuznicki

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
4 Posts
I feel you on that GD squeakin. It drives me nuts, but I think I've located one of my many noises. When you’re driving next time and you hear it, wedge your hand between the door panel and the dash-I know you can’t get your hand wedged in there more than a ¼ inch or so try whatever you can. Anything to put pressure on it. My sound location was very deceiving...I actually thought it was coming from the vent area, however, after a lotta 4 letter words, I just lucked into it. Seems as if the door panel is making a slight contact with the dash and causing a squeak. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I tried that- but while I was driving. If it is coming from the door panel, then it has a sneaky way of disguising the source. I'll try opening the door a little while driving and eliminate it that way. I only have to go 5-10 mph. I swear it is coming from in front of the firewall area, center of dash- which may mean the blower duct.
thanks, i'll let you know if i solve this GD annoyance... :hissy:

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
4 Posts
I tried that- but while I was driving. If it is coming from the door panel, then it has a sneaky way of disguising the source. I'll try opening the door a little while driving and eliminate it that way. I only have to go 5-10 mph. I swear it is coming from in front of the firewall area, center of dash- which may mean the blower duct.
thanks, i'll let you know if i solve this GD annoyance... :hissy:
All I know is if you find it post up the fix...mine is driving me insane with the same type noise. Mine sounds like it comes from the lower section of the center console, but after removing the console and making sure everything is good and tight still no diffference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The squeak is worse in cold weather (but i doubt i will just wait until summer comes to solve this). I have not yet taken the blower duct off, but that is my next task. It's a big job and something i'll have to alot 4-5 hours for. I'll post again, if and when I locate this gremlin...

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
4 Posts
The squeak is worse in cold weather (but i doubt i will just wait until summer comes to solve this). I have not yet taken the blower duct off, but that is my next task. It's a big job and something i'll have to alot 4-5 hours for. I'll post again, if and when I locate this gremlin...
Thats what I am going to do I guess...mine is worse in the cold also.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts