Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have an 04 envoy with 120,000 miles.

a few months ago i noticed my brakes would squeak as i pressed the brake pedal. when the car is "cold" and i haven't drove it for several hours, that's when i get the squeak, but after about 20mins of driving and stopping and starting due to red lights i won't have the squeak anymore.

At the time i was getting my gear box flushed and my oil changed.
i mentioned to the mechanic i had a minor noise, but it bothered the heck out of me. so he changed the pads and put new rotors on for me.

few weeks after, the squeak came back.
so once again, "new" brake pads were put on.
same same same. it would be great for a few weeks and then the squeak came back for the third time.
at this time i noticed the part between the rotors/pads and the rim was rust looking. i stuck my hand between the spokes and gave it a really hard scrub, turns out to be a little rust with brake dust covering it all up.

i went back to the mechanic telling him it was just my front brakes, can't exactly remember what he said he would do.
i vaguely remember him saying that he would soak the break pads in some chemical and try some new rotors he just got in.

got my car back that same night and wow! it was amazing. no squeaking! and i would only have to slightly touch the brake and the car would brake.

i noticed he put a brightly colored red rubbery paste on the outside of the brake pads. from a far it looks like the red Porsche breaks, but up close it looks gross and badly painted.

but what the heck, i could put up with the red paste if my brakes were no longer sqeaking!

long behold... a week later a SQUEALLLLLING noise. no longer was it a little brake squeak but the sound of a huge truck coming to a stop.

the mornings are the worst. when leaving my drive way.
that first initial brake, when i look for oncoming traffic is so loud.

but by the time i get to work or school, no longer do i have the noise.

i'm just looking for a cure!
is it something other than my brakes...?

please advise me!

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,029 Posts
The past three leases I have had all had the front brakes squeal at some point. In all cases it turned out to be bad axle shaft seals.

My 2002 GMC Sonoma had the problem,
My 2005 GMC Canyon had the problem,
My 2008 Chevy Colorado had the problem

and finally

My 2005 GMC Envoy has the problem.

What happens is that the rear seals somehow get worn out due to heat, etc and cause axle fluid to run all over the rear brake components resulting in increased work for the front brakes. This results in overheated, glazed front brake components which squeal like you described (a bus stopping in the city).

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
104 Posts
also metallic brake pads( which has metallic particles in them) can cause this, a proper brake cleaning and using silicone based lubricant on ALL contact points on pads ALWAYS solves the problem.:thumbsup: works at dealer n perform this at least every day. :m2:

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,029 Posts
also metallic brake pads( which has metallic particles in them) can cause this, a proper brake cleaning and using silicone based lubricant on ALL contact points on pads ALWAYS solves the problem.:thumbsup: works at dealer n perform this at least every day. :m2:
In my experience you never want to use any type of grease on any of the brake components. The stainless steel guides that the pad ends ride on are there to prevent any type of binding and corrosion.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
104 Posts
no offence to anybody or their experiences but..... lol. i live in newfoundland and we have issues with salt water n salt on the roads here and we are extremely prone to rust, the silicone based lubricant on the contact points keep the pads moving freely in the caliper brackets. also when put on the backside of the pads stops rust on contact points. silicone based lubricant is safe for use on brakes but keep in mind you do not put it on the pad or rotor area itself. the anti rattler tabs you are speaking of get corrosion under them and swell up so we grease the backside of them after we sandblast the brackets. if that is not done then you literally have to take the brackets off and use a hammer to remove the pads which usually ruins them. but we live in two different climates my friend and have different experiences with corrosion. but this is what i have learnt while working in my trade. NOT TRYING TO STEP ON ANYBODYS TOES OR TICK ANYBODY OFF!!! (thought ide make that clear lol:laugh:) like i said in my experience this stops brake squeals AND makes pads last 3 times longer lol:thumbsup::m2:

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,029 Posts
Ok guys. To each his own. But just letting you know that not even GM puts any type of grease on any brake component.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
104 Posts
yes gm does cuz i am a gm technician. putting silicone based lubricant on the contact points is part of a brake cleaning which is part of general mantenance and included in a long life inspection

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,029 Posts
yes gm does cuz i am a gm technician. putting silicone based lubricant on the contact points is part of a brake cleaning which is part of general mantenance and included in a long life inspection
Why does the GM service manual from AllData say not to put any lubricant on the brake hardware except the pins then?

To confirm this I removed the right side caliper on my 2011 Buick Regal and there is no grease to be found anywhere.

Think about it. If you go on slathering grease everywhere then dirt will be attracted and you will end up with more problems. To me it seems that grease on brake hardware except the slide pins which are captive behind dust boots is a bad idea.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
104 Posts
well sir i am sorry to inform you that alldata is not gm specific, it gives reccomendations really but is not manufacturer specific. just because it does not say to grease it on alldata doesnt mean squat. i may not know everything but this is my profesion and i knows this fact. if you like brakes ceasing up thn by all means leave them alone, but me (end my customers) dont like our brakes seased up.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,029 Posts
well sir i am sorry to inform you that alldata is not gm specific, it gives reccomendations really but is not manufacturer specific. just because it does not say to grease it on alldata doesnt mean squat. i may not know everything but this is my profesion and i knows this fact. if you like brakes ceasing up thn by all means leave them alone, but me (end my customers) dont like our brakes seased up.
Before you go on spreading false rumors here I just want everyone to know that Alldata gives the same info as the factory service manual.

But like I said, you do what you want.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts