Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Type of custom front springs you are interested in:

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a spin off from thread from the BDS 2" Sus + Japan 2" Springs thread. I noticed James posted some details from SpringWorks and it so happens I was also annoying them for some prices recently. Another interesting tid bit, seems they are willing to wheel 'n deal for a group buy :D

So, for folks seriously interested, please respond accordingly to the poll so we can try to save some green for other mods :thx

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Since when did you cough up the Platinum ticket price of admission, eh? Sheesh - another one we can't talk about behind the curtain.....:sadcry:

I'm currently accepting sponsorships for new front springs. You'll get a prominent sticker placement on the Roadiemobile and my eternal gratitude. Currently the hood is sponsor-free and available. :woohoo:

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since when did you cough up the Platinum ticket price of admission, eh? Sheesh - another one we can't talk about behind the curtain.....:sadcry:

I'm currently accepting sponsorships for new front springs. You'll get a prominent sticker placement on the Roadiemobile and my eternal gratitude. Currently the hood is sponsor-free and available. :woohoo:
:D Waay back when.. :grouphug: era Sierra Trip. Now where are those videos :ugh: :eek:fftopic:

So the whole hood - anything I want (cough, sponsorship) - for a set of springs? :excited: Oh boy, this could be fun :p

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
I'm interested, but much of it depends on a cost and a time-line. I see this as a viable alternative to coilovers. Since it's a newly thought of option, it hasn't yet been factored into the budget.

I'm assuming it could build onto the BDS upper strut mount, but the BDS spacer would have to be cut in half (so as to retain the shock mount and bushings but get rid of the spring perch).

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
How many people would springworks need to give us a group discount? If they quoted me at $468 for a pair, maybe they can tell us what it would take to get the price down to , say, $300? That seems quite possible because the majority of coil springs on their website sell for ~$140 (each?).

Do we know if springworks is willing to do the engineering work to design the springs too? Are they going to require a drawing from us as to what our specs may be?

You listed 'high 80s' in the voting options... I'm assuming you are referring to the spring rate in N/mm? I'll try to get around to running some of the numbers on the spring specs and come up with some conclusions on the stock spring options.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I believe I have my complete front assemblies sitting in storage (lower coilover perch, spring, shock, upper mount).
Any way you can measure your front springs? I'd love to try to match their free length with any sort of color code or part number tag that may be present. It could confirm some assumptions I have made when matching springs to their part numbers.

Another big question is regarding the weight distribution of our vehicle. Anyone know the dist (ex 60% front, 40% back) or the weight on each front tire?

Making an assumption based on 60/40 distribution, I'm seeing the normal spring ride height of the truck to be about 290mm.

I beleive the factory decides which spring to use based on a 'computer decision' which leads me to beleive they use a force gauge on each corner and match the appropriate spring to the down force at the corner. Each spring corner has its own RPO code. Example, 6FH 7FH. (The 6 or 7 represents left or right in the code but it is the same PN spring). So it seems entirely possible that we may have a different spring on the left and right according to the specific weight distribution of the truck.

If we can figure out the keys to the factory spring part numbers, we may not need to get custom ones made. The factory springs range from $120 to $160 each at compnine.com.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
FYI, compnine.com has a list of all possible GM RPO codes:

http://www.compnine.com/research.php?arpo=1&catcode=56S&year=2005

For the springs, the RPO codes follow this convention:

6## = Left front spring (computer selected)
7## = Right front spring (computer selected)
8## = Left rear spring (computer selected)
9## = Right rear spring (computer selected)

(however, not all RPOs that start with a 6,7,8, or 9 are spring codes)

As for the ##, there are pairs of RPOs for each P/N. Example: 6FZ and 7FZ both point to spring P/N 15125881. 6 or 7 points to the location of usage.

The only thing left is to definitively match the RPO codes to the spring specs.

Oy. :D

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JamesDowning said:
If we can figure out the keys to the factory spring part numbers, we may not need to get custom ones made. The factory springs range from $120 to $160 each at compnine.com.
True, and for that cost, it's very tempting for the higher spring rate. The tempation w/ springworks is telling them exactly what you want: 2.5" lift vs oem, spring rate, etc, while being able to avoid the spacers altogether. The OEM's just weren't meant for heavy bumpers, winches, while being constantly preloaded, imo :)

JamesDowning said:
You listed 'high 80s' in the voting options... I'm assuming you are referring to the spring rate in N/mm? I'll try to get around to running some of the numbers on the spring specs and come up with some conclusions on the stock spring options.
Correct, was referring to the spring rate... Sounds great! I'm not looking for the stiffest ride in the world, but do want something that will be able to properly handle the extra weight of a bumper/winch combo.

Just fired off another email to springworks, trying to drum up some discounts along with the sales pitch of future customers :grouphug:

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I realized that looking only at the spring length won't likely be conclusive. There is a mere 1.3 cm difference in free length between the stiffest and weakest springs. I doubt we could conclusively match part numbers to spring specs off that measurement alone.

The best thing would be for everyone to check their springs for tags or colors. The springs should have a colored tag somewhere. If we can conclusively match a tag color to a RPO code in the glove box, we may be able to figure out the riddle. (Can anyone help me here?)

The possible tag colors (from weakest to stiffest) would be:

lavender
dark green
grey
pink
light blue
orange
dark blue
light green
tan

From what I can tell, a Tan labeled spring would produce about an inch of extra lift over the lavender spring. I'm guessing since it is (presumably) computer chosen based on weight, a V8 XL would be the most likely to receive a tan front spring. The problem is that we just don't know the matching part numbers yet.

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Unfortunately they aren't giving a price until they know how many orders they're going to have:

SpringWorks said:
Yes the more coils you order at once the price per pair of coil springs goes down. I would need to know exactly how many you are looking to order at once to get you a correct price.
17 poll hits so far, that is promising folks!!!:thx

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
I realized that looking only at the spring length won't likely be conclusive. There is a mere 1.3 cm difference in free length between the stiffest and weakest springs. I doubt we could conclusively match part numbers to spring specs off that measurement alone.

The best thing would be for everyone to check their springs for tags or colors. The springs should have a colored tag somewhere. If we can conclusively match a tag color to a RPO code in the glove box, we may be able to figure out the riddle. (Can anyone help me here?)

The possible tag colors (from weakest to stiffest) would be:

lavender
dark green
grey
pink
light blue
orange
dark blue
light green
tan

From what I can tell, a Tan labeled spring would produce about an inch of extra lift over the lavender spring. I'm guessing since it is (presumably) computer chosen based on weight, a V8 XL would be the most likely to receive a tan front spring. The problem is that we just don't know the matching part numbers yet.
I'm thinking an XL V8 4WD, with leather and sunroof...

I'll check mine when I get home...

Mike

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.