Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any spiral cell batteries that fit our trucks and allow the battery cover to be used? I have an 05 with almost 80k and am looking to replace the battery before it dies on me. I have used Die Hard and Interstate batteries in the past, but am interested in Optima or spiral cell technology if someone make a direct swap replacement. I like the idea of the battery box keeping the battery cool on our trucks...heat kills batteries.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to Sears, the Die Hard Platinum battery for the TrailBlazer weighs 53 pounds. Does anyone know what the stock battery weighs? I have not had the battery cover off yet to see what the tray looks like, but does it seem like it will support a 53 pound battery bouncing around on backroads without giving out?

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
278 Posts
Don't know about the SEARS but the Optima felt lighter and was smaller than the stock battery. It came with a different "dovetail" clamp to hold it to the battery tray. Even tho it was smaller it had more power-(1000ca 800cca 100 min reserve) A spiral cell has a sheet of lead wrapped around AGM (fiberglass) in each cell instead of plates of lead and another metal(cadmium ?) the spiral cell should always be lighter.

I sent an e-mail to optima and technically they will not honer there warranty because of my after market stereo, but who's going to check. I never asked sears.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
58 Posts
I don't think you have to worry about your battery bouncing around. The bar across the battery box is held down by three bolts. The battery itself is held by the standard screw-down bolt "system". The battery box is held down by three bolts......and these aren't wimpy bolts either.

I think GM had original designs of putting a safe box in the truck but they turned it into a battery container instead.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Optima released a new Group 78 RedTop for the TB. It is a direct swap now. The only drawback is the $179 price...and the posts that say Optimas are not what they used to be. If I can find one for a little less locally, I am going to try it.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
625 Posts
and the posts that say Optimas are not what they used to be..
:iagree: with them posts

I get 1 - 2 phone calls a month from people with optima batterys that are anywhere from 6 months to two years old that are bad and are looking for someone to warranty them. Most people say I bought one 10 years ago and I am still using it or just replaced it and this one only lasted 6 months.

Just My :m2: about them.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
38 Posts
The original battery in our truck weighs approximately 48 lbs. The weight of the spiral cell optima is fine for fitment and weight, I work at an Interstate Batteries distributorship any questions about weight or possible fitment I should be able to help you just pm me!

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
50 Posts
There is really no reason to use a dry cell battery such as the optima in an on road vehicle. They perform the same task but cost more than twice as much. The only advantage to the dry cell, is you can it in any position. Even upside down if you want. Using a high quality maintnance free wet cell is more than adequite

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.