Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My speedometer won't work sometimes and sometimes it will work fine other times it'll read incorrectly, for example it'll say I'm doing 30mph when I'm really doing 60mph and so on. It seems to be getting worse, is it the step motor malfunctioning or something else? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
5 Posts
Mine's been doing the same for the past 5 years. Haven't held a correct read in 3. Initially, it would only be off when it gets cold and works fine for just a few months in the summer.

Been told that its an instrument cluster issue? Haven't looked into it myself and not sure how vague that answer really is.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine's been doing the same for the past 5 years. Haven't held a correct read in 3. Initially, it would only be off when it gets cold and works fine for just a few months in the summer.

Been told that its an instrument cluster issue? Haven't looked into it myself and not sure how vague that answer really is.

Interesting. It seems mine is also triggered by colder days. Oddly The other day I noticed my fuel gauge reading improperly as well. This is the first time seeing this, I filled up and the needle went way beyond the F mark, past where it normally reads a full tank.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
5 Posts
Interesting. It seems mine is also triggered by colder days. Oddly The other day I noticed my fuel gauge reading improperly as well. This is the first time seeing this, I filled up and the needle went way beyond the F mark, past where it normally reads a full tank.
Same... As my problem has progressed and I've completely ignored it, the speedometer doesn't seem to work year round nowadays. Also the fuel gauge sometimes is off as well as other gauges, which leads me to think the problem isn't specific to the speedometer.

I've recently had other problems from a bad, crisscrossed jump performed by my wife. I'm going to have a diagnostic ran Tuesday, so I'll let you know if I find anything.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any update on this? My speedometer is still not working properly and the same with my fuel gauge.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
1 Posts
My speedometer won't work sometimes and sometimes it will work fine other times it'll read incorrectly, for example it'll say I'm doing 30mph when I'm really doing 60mph and so on. It seems to be getting worse, is it the step motor malfunctioning or something else? Thanks in advance.
I just replaced step motors because of the same issues. Works perfect now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Instrument gauges malfuncioning common problem

I've read somewhere that 2000's GMCs experience issues with the instrument clusters. My 03 Envoy has a malfunctioning oil pressure gauge, speedo, gas gauge. I've read that the fix is to replace the whole dang instrument cluster, Which sounds like a ton of work. Has anyone had this done? If so, what did it cost (time and money)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, -Dave Horch

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,369 Posts
If the problem is only with some of the gauges, it is the stepper motors that are bad. The are available on Ebay. If you are comfortable working with a low wattage soldering iron and on circuit boards, you can replace them fairly easy. There are also vendors that will do this work for a fee.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts