Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed this yesterday, never heard it before. Could it be a wheel bearing? Sounds like it is coming from the front of the truck. Mine is 2006 AWD with about 68,000 miles. I just changed front diff fluid about 2 months ago.
:undecided
Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will have to pay attention for changes when I take a corner. I know it had to have just started yesterday, because it makes a harmonic sound against the sound of the engine, kind of like two people singing slightly out of pitch with each other. :no:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Confirmed bearing noise

Yes, indeed, it is one of the front wheel bearings. Although I don't notice the noise increase around corners, I do know that my description fits perfectly with several other AWD owners, including the 'offroad tire sound'. So I will be getting the ol' jack out to confirm which wheel (or maybe both)?

:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
06 awd front end noise

How Do you know its the front wheel bearing? I have an 06 with 49,000 miles and that same noise just appeared. Just wondering how you figured that out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not 100% on my conclusion. But after researching the issue I believe that has to be the answer. A lot of owners of the AWD report the exact same noise and resolved with bearing replacement. Also, the noise started with mine immediately after the first salting of the roads for snow. So that is why I am very confident in my presumption. I will report back after I do my inspection.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oops, unsolved!

Okay, jacked up the front end and rotated both wheels by hand carefully listening for any noise. No luck, they are both sounding fine. I am now leaning toward this being the passenger side intermediate shaft assembly. I made an order for all the bearings, washers, and seals to service this and mod it to lubricate with gear oil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the exact tire/road noise. Replaced tires and had the pros inspect the front end. Pros advised it was the tires. Decided to just replace both front bearing assembly. Problem fixed. Of course, $1500 later though for a $100 fix. By the way, noise started at 50000 miles

1 - 9 of 9 Posts