Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently decided to take out my two 12" pioneer premier subs. I had turned the subs off a few weeks back, I don't recall why, but since then, I have been driving around Sub-less and have actually got used to the sound. I guess I don't listen to music at those volumes as often as I used to. Maybe age??? LOL

Anyways, I still have my 4 channel rockford amp set up for my door speakers. One of the rears is crackling. I've had them since I bought the truck, 3 years ago. I think its time to replace them with some speakers that can handle a little more bass. I know that I'm not going to be rattling the mirrors, but a little bump would be nice. I've been out of the audio loop for some time now, so I don't know what's good anymore... :(

Currently, I'm running a Pioneer Premier FH-800BT head unit. 3.5" Memphis Audio speakers in the dash hooked directly to the Head Unit. Rockford Fosgate 500x 4 channel for my door speakers... RMS Power at 4 Ohms 62.5 W x 4, RMS Power at 2 Ohms 125 W x 4

Front doors have Pioneer 6.5" 3 ways, rear are 6.5" 2 ways.

Like I said, I know that 6.5s won't shake my internals, but a little bump would be nice. The Pioneer's currently bump a little... but I don't think they will last...

So, let's say I'm looking spend 50-100 per pair of 6.5s. I know, I'm cheap! What are some suggestions in that range?

Thanks
Mario

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
ah, for that price range there isnt that much that i can suggest. one comes to mind is the phoenix gold RSD 6.5s

if you dont have any passengers in your back seats i would go ahead a delete the back 2 speakers, more power up front, and you can spend twice as much. thats what i did, havnt looked back, imo.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow... $60 for a set of components??? This seems cheap and too good to be true. Especially for some that come so strongly recommended from the Audio Gurus of this community....

I guess if you guys say they're good and that woofersetc.com is reputeable, I'll be placing an order very soon. I intend to fully rewire the set up and have speaker wire going directly to the doors as opposed to going to the factory wiring behind the head unit (Easy way out taken with previous install, I know)

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,113 Posts
iirc yu nd tommy were runnin these? would these be enough if say i was to get some nightshades or DC's? ;)

if not then wat yu think i should put up front? (not to steal marios glory here)

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
few months ago the PG RSD's were all the rage for budget setups, but now people are watching their spending with the economy and what not.

they are some of the best imo, and i didnt realize they went down in price again. seems like 3 months ago they were like $80+.

woofersetc.com is a pretty good site for being unauthorized seller. customer service could use some help, dont expect crutchfield service, lol. but they ship quickly.

EDIT: 1000th post.

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
iirc yu nd tommy were runnin these? would these be enough if say i was to get some nightshades or DC's? ;)

if not then wat yu think i should put up front? (not to steal marios glory here)
Im running RF Power comps front and rear....edit: so is Tommy

These will work well with the power available and budget for Marios situation...if youre planning on some major low end (which I think you are) you might want something with higher RMS power handling:m2:

EDIT: 1000th post.
woot

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
7,255 Posts
Oooh. I like those! They might work well with my lil build I'm planning.:x Btw, any suggestions for the best build for a sub box for 2-10" or 12", ported. Amp will be hidden somewhere. Maybe recessing the subs 1-2" so I can cover with plexi.:hijacked

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
137 Posts
Diamond Audio

I have heard these in person and they sound nice....don't have them in the TB yet, but will probably go with these when the time comes :m2:

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
26 Posts
IMHO, I would focus on front stage, take the $200 +/- budget you set and get a set of better components for the front, and focus on the install. If you absolutely have to have rear fill....use what you have in the front doors. With a properly set up front stage, you really don't get the sense of rear speakers, and you dont want the to be real "hot" back there.

In my experience with the Phoenix Gold RSD components that were recommended, I find they were very thin, and lacked in mid-bass...which from what I read, you are trying to increase. I also found the tweeters were far too harsh for me personally, but I don't like a bright tweeter, I like a more crisp and accurate, yet laid back sound.

Here is a set that I have had alot of success with, and they're not very costly.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p6201/CTX65CS--Image-Dynamics-65"-Component-Speaker-System.htm

Best thing is to let YOUR ears decide....take a few CDs to a couple of your local shops, and listen to what they have set up, listen to every set you can before making a decision, its YOUR truck, and the way you percieve a good sound, might not be what the next man does.

Just remember to properly dampen your doors, and imaging is essential in your install. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
IMHO, I would focus on front stage, take the $200 +/- budget you set and get a set of better components for the front, and focus on the install. If you absolutely have to have rear fill....use what you have in the front doors. With a properly set up front stage, you really don't get the sense of rear speakers, and you dont want the to be real "hot" back there.

In my experience with the Phoenix Gold RSD components that were recommended, I find they were very thin, and lacked in mid-bass...which from what I read, you are trying to increase. I also found the tweeters were far too harsh for me personally, but I don't like a bright tweeter, I like a more crisp and accurate, yet laid back sound.

Here is a set that I have had alot of success with, and they're not very costly.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p6201/CTX65CS--Image-Dynamics-65"-Component-Speaker-System.htm

Best thing is to let YOUR ears decide....take a few CDs to a couple of your local shops, and listen to what they have set up, listen to every set you can before making a decision, its YOUR truck, and the way you percieve a good sound, might not be what the next man does.

Just remember to properly dampen your doors, and imaging is essential in your install. Best of luck to you.
those ID's are 3x the price, i recomended the PG RSD's because he was gonna do all 4 speakers. ID does make some good sq drivers ive heard.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys! I must say, I like the idea of spending on just the fronts and moving the existing speakers to the rear. The Hertz components look insane! 125 rms power! and looks like it has a lower range in frequency response... should provide some nice boom. Thanks again for all the insight!

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
Thanks guys! I must say, I like the idea of spending on just the fronts and moving the existing speakers to the rear. The Hertz components look insane! 125 rms power! and looks like it has a lower range in frequency response... should provide some nice boom. Thanks again for all the insight!

i <3 my HSK's.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts