Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done any modifications to an 04 Trailblazer LS as far as adding more component speakers to the doors or in the back trunk/hatch area side panels? Easily done or should I be prepared for a big job? Does anyone have any input?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
85 Posts
I have an ‘03 TB EXT LT with the Bose system—but I wanted Bluetooth, USB, an aux input, etc.

So I put in a new JVC head unit, which led to an Infinity four channel amp, but—speakers!

The factory Bose speakers are as follows: 2 3.5 inch full range in the dash, each bolted in with 3 hex head cap screws. The easiest replacement in the whole system. Even if you don’t have the Bose system you may still have the mounting points in the dash. It’s worth pulling the top dash trim off to see (pop off the inner windshield post trims first).

2 6.5 inch mid bass drivers in the front doors and 2 5.25 inch mid bass drivers in the rear doors. All are mounted in large triangular plastic plates that mount to the door frame with three hex head cap screws. Non Bose systems may have smaller front speakers but that won’t matter anyway because you’ll be throwing out the plastic adapter and making your own.

It is relatively easy to replace the plastic door spacers with plates made of MDF that are shaped to hold whatever you want, just watch your mounting depth and make your spacers deep enough for your speakers to to clear the windows when they roll down.

I managed to fit 8 inch mid bass speakers in my rear doors and it looks like the fronts are similarly roomy.

Whether you cut up the door panels is up to you. After I saw how hard replacements are to find for an EXT, I decided to work within mine rather than cut them.

How much time it will take will depend on how much experience you have with MDF. I spent a full day making and fitting the spacers for my rear doors.

Watch your wiring— I tried splicing my amp into the factory harness in the dash and ended up with both front and rear speakers running off the amp’s front channels. I ended up having to cut into the harness at the door posts to wire the rear door speakers to my amp. The speaker wires are twisted together where they run through the body, which makes them easy to find.

·
Registered
2002 chevy envoy_sle
7 Posts
I's important to find a qualified headlight installer with parts & who has done this mod before. Lights & headlights can be tricky. Like HID bulbs can NOT be touched with your fingers! Oil from our skin causes them to burn-out ! See? I found a car light shop & experts at my local swap meet / flea market. Pep boys sells & installs HID bulbs too. Be aware of laws for brightness called "lumens" too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts