Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I need to replace my speakers all the way around. I removed the back and see that they are marked 8ohms. I am assuming the fronts are 8ohms also.

Can I replace these with 2ohm speakers?

Will the head unit be able to handle a 2ohm speaker load?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
276 Posts
Typical replacement speakers will be 4ohm rather than 2ohm.

Most 2ohm speakers are subwoofers that require an amplifier capable of handling that load with out overheating.

4ohm replacement speakers are usually safe to use with a stock head unit. This may be a Bose system using 8ohm speakers? I've seen odd ratings on speakers of 6ohm or 6.5ohm listings as well.

I would not recommend using 2ohm speakers as replacements for the factory head unit or any other not rated for the same. I have not seen any aftermarket HU rated for 2ohm yet, but I suppose it's just a matter of time.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply.

I am finding all kinds of 6.5" 2ohm speakers.

I can get good deals on speakers at work, but all that are available are 2ohms.

I kind of just want to put them on the factory head unit and see what happens.

What do you think? Am I just asking the set the HU on fire?

I think it might be alright. :coffee I'm not cranking it up too much usually.

·
Registered
276 Posts
If your planning on replacing the stock HU anyways, go ahead and experiment, just understand the replacement HU will be typically rated for 4ohm as well. Mostly likely it would meet the same fate as your stock HU.

Normally to get an amp to handle 2ohm loads you have to bridge the amp, so to continue using said speakers, you'll need multiple amps if you wish to keep "stereo" as an option.

Where are you looking that your finding so many options for 2ohm speakers?

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, bridging a 2ohm load is typically harder on the amp/HU than a normal 2ohm load.

I was looking at best buy and another site that has JBL and Infinity. I have found mostly 2ohms speakers, some 4ohms, and haven't found any 8ohm 6.5" speakers.

I would like to replace the factory HU at some point, but I'm being cheap right now. I need to get a HU with bluetooth that fits in the opening nicely. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
276 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am just going to roll the dice witht he replacment (2ohm) speakers based on what I just read in the specs:

"All Reference speakers feature two ohm voice coils. Original factory-installed speaker wiring in many cars is 18-22 gauge. This wire, and heating in the voice coil when power is applied, increase the impedance “seen” by the amplifier or head unit. The impedance of Reference Speakers has been adjusted to compensate for this increase and can be safely driven by any head unit."

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the recomend on the head unit. I've never been inside the dash. Is there some extra room for things like radio add-ons?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yeah, there is room behind the glove box for some gear, you can look at my photos to see how I mounted a USB and 1/8" stereo jack from the rear of my DVD player to the dash.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice pics

I like the stealth subs. Did you just use the existing open space for the sub enclosure or did you do something more?

The USB and 1/8" mounts are slick too.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I just have a prefab box and sub package from Crutchfield, I'll get a pic or two of it as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts