Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

My 2003 TrailBlazer EXT with Vortec 5.3l V8 Engine has just reached 80K miles and I'm considering changing the spark plugs but could not figure out where they're located and how hard it is to change them.

I saw some posts helped to locate the spark plugs on TB 4.2l/V6 but the TB V8 engine layout is different. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Try the search function or just open the hood and follow the plug wires from the coil to the spark plug.:m2:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hi Everyone,

My 2003 TrailBlazer EXT with Vortec 5.3l V8 Engine has just reached 80K miles and I'm considering changing the spark plugs but could not figure out where they're located and how hard it is to change them.

I saw some posts helped to locate the spark plugs on TB 4.2l/V6 but the TB V8 engine layout is different. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Why do you think it's a good idea to change spark plugs? If the only reason is you have 80,000 miles on your truck, don't bother. If you have run diagnostics with a scan tool or you have other specific symptoms that point to a problem with the spark plugs have at it.

-- Dan Meyer :coffee

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Whats good man. I looked through the shop manual but couldn't find any pics that might aide your project. Your best bet might be to snap/post a few pics of the engine compartment and we can go from there.:cool:

·
Registered
2005 buick rainier
1,012 Posts
They're located in the same place as all Chevy V8's - down each bank next by the exhaust manifold ;)

See pic attached for left 4...

Attachments

·
Registered
625 Posts
They aren't the easiest thing to change. The passenger side was the worst and the drivers side was fairly easy you do most of the work through the fender well. If you plan on doing them yourself make sure you have a couple extensions and a good 3/8 universal joint also a jack to jack the front of the vehicle up to give you more clearance through the wheel well to access the plugs i think i actually just took the front wheels off. Put antiseeze on the plugs when you put the new ones in, as they are aluminum heads and if you ever have to pull them out again this will help ensure they come right out. And also make sure you get a set of plug wires. I tried my hardest not to pull the ends off of my wires but ruined them anyway and had to make an emergency run to work at 11 at night threw 2 feet of snow in my 2 wheel drive s-10. Hope that help you out some.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They aren't the easiest thing to change. The passenger side was the worst and the drivers side was fairly easy you do most of the work through the fender well. If you plan on doing them yourself make sure you have a couple extensions and a good 3/8 universal joint also a jack to jack the front of the vehicle up to give you more clearance through the wheel well to access the plugs i think i actually just took the front wheels off. Put antiseeze on the plugs when you put the new ones in, as they are aluminum heads and if you ever have to pull them out again this will help ensure they come right out. And also make sure you get a set of plug wires. I tried my hardest not to pull the ends off of my wires but ruined them anyway and had to make an emergency run to work at 11 at night threw 2 feet of snow in my 2 wheel drive s-10. Hope that help you out some.

Thanks to everyone who responded!

bstromback2002 - Thank you for posting this very helpful reply! After I located the spark plugs (thanks to the picture posted by awer25 !) on my TB's V8 and assessed the situation, I'd have to agree with you that this doesn't seem to be an easy job, especially considering that there isn't much room to work with on the passenger side of the engine compartment, and that I might have to buy some special tools/extensions... I will try to get a quote from a local auto-shop to change the spark plugs and if the price isn't outrageously expensive, I might let them 'deal' with the hassle instead... :)

I will post updates here after I get a quote...

Best regards!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts