Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be tackling a plug change this weekend. I went to Autozone to get a set of plugs. They were out of AC Delco, so I got the Bosch Platinums. I've seen a couple of comments in these threads about people having trouble with the Bosch plugs, so I thought I'd get some opinions. The Bosch plugs were about $45 for 6 and I know the Delcos would be a bit more, but I'd rather not be replacing them again a month from now.

Also, Platinum or Iridium? And will I need to gap them?

Thank you to everyone!:thx

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
I'm going to be tackling a plug change this weekend. I went to Autozone to get a set of plugs. They were out of AC Delco, so I got the Bosch Platinums. I've seen a couple of comments in these threads about people having trouble with the Bosch plugs, so I thought I'd get some opinions. The Bosch plugs were about $45 for 6 and I know the Delcos would be a bit more, but I'd rather not be replacing them again a month from now.

Also, Platinum or Iridium? And will I need to gap them?

Thank you to everyone!:thx
Only a couple? :D

I have yet to see anyone that had good luck (long term) with Bosch plugs in these vehicles. Most put them in and end up changing them a short time later.

I used Autolite Iridiums in my 05 because I couldn't find AC Delcos locally. That was 4 or 5K miles ago - and no problems (knock on wood)! :)

My 05 (and I assume your 04) came with double platinum plugs from the factory, but the recommended replacement is Iridiums.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,380 Posts
Yeah really, only a couple?! I had bought some Bosch plugs also and couldn't wait to yank them back out. I bought AC Delco from the dealership and they actually cost me less than buying Bosch from Autozone and truck runs a 1000% better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like I'll be going back to AutoZone after work... I hope they'll swap them out, because I seem to have lost my receipt:duh:

I'm assuming I'd be better off going with the Iridiums, right? Am I going to need to gap them? I've heard they're pretty delicate...

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,380 Posts
Looks like I'll be going back to AutoZone after work... I hope they'll swap them out, because I seem to have lost my receipt:duh:

I'm assuming I'd be better off going with the Iridiums, right? Am I going to need to gap them? I've heard they're pretty delicate...
Oh yeah they're delicate. That center electrode is thin as a sheet of paper but the good thing is that you shouldn't have to gap them, just make sure the side electrode didn't get knocked off kilter. If any did I would exchange them for another one. You don't want to be prying against the center post to try to gap it. :m2:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,380 Posts
It's too bad that it seems that Bosch are about the only "long life" plug that part stores carry in stock :no:, but as long people become informed about the crap that's out there there shouldn't be any regrets. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
62 Posts
Anybody tried NGK Iridiums IX????

Are they better than AC Delcos??:undecided

Which ones should i go with???

:thx for ur input Trailvoy!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4 Posts
Doin the Sparky dance

Great info, just about to get into some plug changes and was not sure what to go with.. .. ..clearly the AC Delco is the only brand. Thanks for saving me an extra trip to the shop.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
Go with the iridiums, I'm using them NGK IX, on a 4.2lt I6. Starts and runs perferct no issues, I recommend them.

i've heard some say that NGKs and the delco plugs are basically the same plug when compared side-by-side.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I really want to thank everybody for the advice. Changed out the plugs over the weekend. This was my first time replacing them on my TV, so it was a bit of an adventure. Here are a few lessons I learned (the hard way) from my first time changing out the plugs:

1) You need a 6 INCH extension to reach the back 2 plugs. A 3 inch is too short and a 10 inch is too long (had to put everything back together to run to the parts store - you do not want to do this)

2) Make sure you seat the coil pack on the plug really well. I recommend doing a lot of wiggling and twisting to make sure you've got a good connection (again, had to strip everything down AGAIN and re-seat the coil packs after one of my plugs wasn't firing.

I used the AC Delco Iridiums I got at Autozone - surprisingly they were only $6.49!!! The dealership was asking over $11 PER PLUG!

This was the best $40 I've ever spent on my vehicle. My TV is running 1,000 times better than before. It's like it has a new life! I wish I had done this 80k miles ago!

Thanks to everybody on this site for the advice. I really couldn't have done it without TrailVoy!

:thx

·
Registered
2005 buick rainier
33 Posts
wrong forum?

I don't know, tuning up your vehicle doesn't have to indicate modifying from stock components, it could just be restoring to the factory tune.
On a side note, so many people assume that factory components are undesirable and that they can do better by "upgrading" to a Bosch or NGK plug or whatever widget is popular this week, give the GM engineers some credit. The engine was designed to work with Delco plugs, odds are they are the best plug for the engine, granted if you have modified your engine with a supercharger and/or nitrous a plug change is actually recommended, but for 98% of the people on this board I would think stock is the best choice on plugs

1 - 20 of 66 Posts