Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,329 Posts
How many off-roaders with larger tires are running TRUE full sized spares now?

Meaning, you have a 5th or even 6th wheel with the same tire as your main wheels/tires.

I'm currently just running the stock steel spare with stock sized tire, but am on the lookout for a 5th Rainier wheel so that I can run TRUE Full Sized spare.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
215 Posts
i've got a full size spare (32") on my spare carrier, but funds weren't good enough to buy 5 m/t's so my buddy gave me his spare street tire off of his h3:hopeless (looks dumb but soon it'll change) on a side note, i did have to run with that same spare (32") right before i bought my new wheels, tires and lift. terrible circumstances (two blown tires in one week) stuck me with stock 245/70 on botrh fronts and passenger rear and a 32" tire on the driver rear:duh:. i'd recommend a full size spare for sure!!!!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i've got a full size spare (32") on my spare carrier, but funds weren't good enough to buy 5 m/t's so my buddy gave me his spare street tire off of his h3:hopeless (looks dumb but soon it'll change) on a side note, i did have to run with that same spare (32") right before i bought my new wheels, tires and lift. terrible circumstances (two blown tires in one week) stuck me with stock 245/70 on botrh fronts and passenger rear and a 32" tire on the driver rear:duh:. i'd recommend a full size spare for sure!!!!
Wouldn't it be better, given the circumstances, to run 2 tires the same on the rear???

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
215 Posts
i didn't think the 32" would fit under the front and there was only one 32", and i had to be able to drive to work the next day. thankfully, my boss let me dig through the used tires at work and found matching set and was able to get that 32" off. three days later... got my cragars and my bighorns!!!:woot::woohoo:

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
203 Posts
well i suppose ill add myself in here since i saw my name in chewy's post lol. i have all 5 H3's with full size spare on the back. although i am running the Kumho M/T's that are directional, my spare is a Maxxis Long Horn M/t (non directional) so i can throw it on either side of the truck if need be without worrying about running the tread reversed.
quick pic

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
343 Posts
well i suppose ill add myself in here since i saw my name in chewy's post lol. i have all 5 H3's with full size spare on the back. although i am running the Kumho M/T's that are directional, my spare is a Maxxis Long Horn M/t (non directional) so i can throw it on either side of the truck if need be without worrying about running the tread reversed.
quick pic
Sorry man! I ratted you out! :D

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
Don't forget to do the 5 tire rotation if you have a 5th matching spare.

I've done that so far with pretty good luck. You notice it right after you rotate it, because you get a little more road noise, but eventually it settles out again. With this method, I've gotten over 20k miles so far, with at least 50% tread left. I'm expecting these tires to last at least another 20k.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
Don't forget to do the 5 tire rotation if you have a 5th matching spare.

I've done that so far with pretty good luck. You notice it right after you rotate it, because you get a little more road noise, but eventually it settles out again. With this method, I've gotten over 20k miles so far, with at least 50% tread left. I'm expecting these tires to last at least another 20k.
Yep! And this way, you don't end up using a spare that's 1.5" taller than your other tires, because the spare is brand new, and the others are about done...

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts