Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
chevy
12,260 Posts
Added some air and the "dents" are still there..It's rubbed so much that is polished the rubber in those spots.
I looked at mine this morning again. Its not entirely flat, but it is way low on air, too low to actually use. I just can't imagine using that tire, it looks really bad.:cool:

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It had 15psi when I checked it...talk about things you really need to keep an eye on...I should have known better. The directions say to put the tire in Valve stem Up.. Well you have to lower the tire to check the pressure, I guess that would help keep the cable from crudding up by checking it all the time.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
10,730 Posts
Yeah, checking them is a PITA to do but I check mine before taking a trip just like the other tires. I'd be really pissed if I was along side the interstate with a flat spare!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
239 Posts
The cable worked fine, not hitches there...I will air it up tomorrow and see if she holds...Still no one has the same rim?

JAy
I have the same rim and the same dents in the tire, maybe it is just for our year. We're special :crazy: .

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,407 Posts
I have the same wheel, but my spare tire doesn't have those marks:D

besides I've had about 4 flats in the past 5 years since I've owned her:eek:

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
My spare is like the one pictured, it is an actual rim. I wouldnt mind running 4 of them if I was looking for the blacked out look, only issue is they are 16s (17s on LTZ for 02) but whatever.

And, yea, mine has some of those indentations as well, but Ive pulled mine on/off probably 5-6 times, and will continue to do so (mainly in the summer when Im not going on trips longer than 100mi).

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yeah I have that same exact wheel under my 02 TB. I also check that the spare has at least 45 PSI in it at every oil change or whenever I have it on the hoist. Also if you have a tire chuck with a double sided air nozzle and a gauge(like for a duallie pickup) you do not have to remove spare to check the tire. My spare has been used 1 time and I am glad I needed it when I was at work. The stupid winch housing cracked and the spare got stock part way down. With that happening at work I was able to sneak in and remove the entire assembly only 3 bolts the proceeded to use a cut off wheel to cut cable to get the spare free. I did replace the winch with a new one a week later, and installed it in the parking lot at the dealer. :yes:

·
Registered
476 Posts
My '02 has the same spare wheel as you do. When I have the spare down ( one a year +) I make a point of rotating it just a little before winching it up. Thus my tire has similar marks, but more of them.

A double sided air chuck will allow you to check and fill the spare with the tire completely up but it is still a pain in the a$$.

Just another example of how GM could have built a better Trailvoy but did not. My first choice for a spare tire is to have it under the rear floor deck, accessable from inside, just like 99% of all cars. An added benefit of this location is that you can store stuff inside the wheel and around the outside of the tire. This might have even saved GM a few bucks because they would not have the expense of the winch. A distant 2nd choice is the spare tire located where it is now but WITH THE VALVE STEM POINTED DOWN and a winch that works every time in all kinds of weather. 3rd choice is a floor recess on one side or the other and the spare stands vertically in it; such as older Jeep Cherokees have. You guys with huge off road tires might not like that idea. 4th best is what we have now. 5th is mounted to the rear hatch door ( not really an option for a hatch that swings up as ours do.) Least desirable is having it tied to the roof rack.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
My '02 has the same spare wheel as you do. When I have the spare down ( one a year +) I make a point of rotating it just a little before winching it up. Thus my tire has similar marks, but more of them.

A double sided air chuck will allow you to check and fill the spare with the tire completely up but it is still a pain in the a$$.

Just another example of how GM could have built a better Trailvoy but did not. My first choice for a spare tire is to have it under the rear floor deck, accessable from inside, just like 99% of all cars. An added benefit of this location is that you can store stuff inside the wheel and around the outside of the tire. This might have even saved GM a few bucks because they would not have the expense of the winch. A distant 2nd choice is the spare tire located where it is now but WITH THE VALVE STEM POINTED DOWN and a winch that works every time in all kinds of weather. 3rd choice is a floor recess on one side or the other and the spare stands vertically in it; such as older Jeep Cherokees have. You guys with huge off road tires might not like that idea. 4th best is what we have now. 5th is mounted to the rear hatch door ( not really an option for a hatch that swings up as ours do.) Least desirable is having it tied to the roof rack.
The previous blazers did have the hatch w/swing out tire. Unsure about the look. In the lower deck would have been nice...Jay

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,268 Posts
Just another example of how GM could have built a better Trailvoy but did not. My first choice for a spare tire is to have it under the rear floor deck, accessable from inside, just like 99% of all cars. An added benefit of this location is that you can store stuff inside the wheel and around the outside of the tire. This might have even saved GM a few bucks because they would not have the expense of the winch. quote]

Sounds like a bodyshop mod...:undecided :undecided

·
Registered
2007 buick rainier
328 Posts
How about a spare tire mount that installs in your hitch reciever and swings down when you want to open the rear hatch?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Load floor spare

Yeah the load floor spare tire sounds like a great idea UNTIL you are on a trip and need the spare with your gear on top of it packed to the roof. Now you have to completely unload everything to get the cover off the spare tire them proceed to change. Then you have to put the flat tire into the load floor and finally reload the truck and then proceed to where you are going. It is bad enough that the jack tools are under the rear seat as it is.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yeah the load floor spare tire sounds like a great idea UNTIL you are on a trip and need the spare with your gear on top of it packed to the roof. Now you have to completely unload everything to get the cover off the spare tire them proceed to change. Then you have to put the flat tire into the load floor and finally reload the truck.
Good points, everyone of them, but....
compared to not having the winch work OR lowering the spare only to find out it is flat because it was so much work you did not lower it to check the air pressure I prefer unloading and reloading the car.

JJ and jaylind,

A spare tire mount that swings down or swings to the side is one additional step to getting into the rear hatch. I open the hatch several times a week but only have a flat tire every three or four years. Just my :m2:

Parked in my garage I do not have room for either type to move enough for me to open the hatch.

topprolmc,

A frame cross member would have to be cut to allow the tire to come in from above. When the truck was designed a "U" shaped cross member could have been used or the straight one could have been moved forward a few inches but it is too late now.

Until we get run flat tires I am keeping my 12v air compressor, a can of Fix-A-Flat, AAA card, and cell phone in addition to GM's spare tire winch!

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,268 Posts
topprolmc,

A frame cross member would have to be cut to allow the tire to come in from above. When the truck was designed a "U" shaped cross member could have been used or the straight one could have been moved forward a few inches but it is too late now.

Hardly too late.
Remove tire. Cut out existing crossmember.
Fab tub that will replace floor pan in back
Fab replacement crossmember.
Weld in tub and seal, with undercoat.
Weld in crossmember...Seal.
get floor carpeted, drop in spare.

I am betting a 2K job, or less if you can weld.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hardly too late.
Remove tire. Cut out existing crossmember.
Fab tub that will replace floor pan in back
Fab replacement crossmember.
Weld in tub and seal, with undercoat.
Weld in crossmember...Seal.
get floor carpeted, drop in spare.

I am betting a 2K job, or less if you can weld.
You are right and I was wrong. All it takes is time and money.:yes:

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
26 Posts
02 Spare Tire...Question here. I have had my 02 Tb for about 5 years now.. (Knock on wood) I have never had to use the spare tire. So today I figure I better check the tire pressure on it...I had to read the instructions on how to lower the tire. I have seen posts about the tire getting stuck..etc... Anyway I got the tire off and it was flat...and...It's an actual rim, not a generic steele....Are all the spares this way? here is a picture of mine..also the tire is ruined. it have been up so long that the tire has marks from where it was press up against the frame..
Just another of the GM tough if you can't figure it out issues. A good full instruction is at

21 - 38 of 38 Posts