Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
02 Spare Tire...Question here. I have had my 02 Tb for about 5 years now.. (Knock on wood) I have never had to use the spare tire. So today I figure I better check the tire pressure on it...I had to read the instructions on how to lower the tire. I have seen posts about the tire getting stuck..etc... Anyway I got the tire off and it was flat...and...It's an actual rim, not a generic steele....Are all the spares this way? here is a picture of mine..also the tire is ruined. it have been up so long that the tire has marks from where it was press up against the frame..

·
Banned
chevy
12,260 Posts
Thats not what my rim looked like at all. However my spare was also ruined from being up there. At least its full sized. I kow they changed the spare tire rim on one of the years, but I don't remember when it was.:cool:

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
10,730 Posts
Steel wheel here too.

Why do you say the tire is ruined? Those marks on the sidewalls don't hurt anything. If it's got air in it, you can still use it for a spare.

I try to take the spare off twice a year. Mainly in the spring so I can powerwash the undercarriage. I also wash the spare and spray it real good with tire shine on both sides and put some oil on the winch.

·
Banned
chevy
12,260 Posts
Steel wheel here too.

Why do you say the tire is ruined? Those marks on the sidewalls don't hurt anything. If it's got air in it, you can still use it for a spare.

I try to take the spare off twice a year. Mainly in the spring so I can powerwash the undercarriage. I also wash the spare and spray it real good with tire shine on both sides and put some oil on the winch.
If his is like mine, those marks on the tire aren't just marks. They are actual indentions in the tire. They were pretty deep on mine. I just can't believe that they don't have any side wall damage. Its like being under the truck for that long, with vibration and heat, its ruined the tire.:cool:

·
Registered
10,730 Posts
Think about what the tire goes through on the road!!! Hanging from the bottom stresses the tire far less!!

·
Registered
10,730 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't worry me. It's a spare tire, not one of the 4 constantly being used. If it's full of air, it will work perfectly fine if you ever need it. I'd be more worried about the winch and cable. Those are the parts on GMs that seem to give the most problems.

·
Banned
chevy
12,260 Posts
The indentions in mine are even worse than the ones in the pics. I am not worried about it at all. I am paid up on my AAA, I will let them figure out what to do since I don't have my spare on the truck.:D

·
Registered
10,730 Posts
I didn't realize it was still low/flat. I'd be interested to see what happens when you fill it up.

·
Premium Member
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
481 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't worry me. It's a spare tire, not one of the 4 constantly being used. If it's full of air, it will work perfectly fine if you ever need it. I'd be more worried about the winch and cable. Those are the parts on GMs that seem to give the most problems.
Since we're on the subject does anybody know the part number for the winch kit. Mine is completely corroded and I'm looking to replace it. It sucks having to carry the spare in the trunk :(

·
Registered
140 Posts
Do you think filling spare to MAX pressure (Spare tire sidewall written max) will help reduce frame indentations?

Also maybe not over-tightening the spare against the frame more than is necessary to make it permanently secure?

Ok last one, I was thinking of taking mine down and putting some kind of rubber (strips of inner tube) as a bufferon the spare between it and the frame before hoisting upa against the frame. :confused:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,267 Posts
my 03 has a steel rim- and the design of the rim is different from yours.
all TB i have seen with the spares on- looked like mine- yours is way different

1 - 20 of 38 Posts