Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i had some issues get the spare tire to drop. It was because the secondary latch was in place. So I read the manual and it explained how to unlock it so the tire will drop.

It says that once you do this you will have to replace. I thought this was a load of crap, but the dealer said the same thing. Off course its over $200 to fix.

I can get the part....does anyone have install directions?

Or can anyone give me a tip on how to get it back up without replacing?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have tried like hell to get the thing back up...it just doesnt go all the way. it leaves the tires hanging about 2 inches...just enough to move around and not be safe or secure.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
963 Posts
They may have updated the design, but I've had my down a couple of different times on my 06 and its always just cranked back up. Maybe someone will chime in with a fix or part for it.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
:duh: You don't have to replace it every time you lower the spare. Only when you have to do the emergency lower. But first, pull the cable down so you can work on the mechanism end. (The part that holds the tire) Spray the mechanism with PB Blaster or penetrating oil. Work the parts until they operate smoothly. Crank the cable and tire up, keeping some tension on it so it rolls up cleanly. Try tightening the tire in place with the called for three clicks. If it won't crank up tight, you may be screwed. Search will help with prices and replacement.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
You should drop it and check it and grease it at least once a year to make sure it works when you need it to.:m2:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You should drop it and check it and grease it at least once a year to make sure it works when you need it to.:m2:
Unfortunately, i just bought the truck and 2 months into it i had to use the spare. its an 2003 so im sure the previous owner never did that.

and i think i am in this situation because the safety lock is on. the manual says if it goes into the safety or secondary than the part needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
33 Posts
i had a tire go down when the wife was driving it last year. It hung on the saftey latch and the person helping kept cranking on it and destroyed the mechanism. crawl under there and look at the lift mechanism and make sure its not busted open, if you need to replace it i got one frome the salvage yard for $30 and its only 3 bolts holding it on. One by the lift and 2 at the center of the tire
Gary

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
An alternative might be to bolt in the Ford Explorer cable lift for the spare tire. It is almost the same unit, and has no safety latch to cost $200. There are LOTS of Explorers in the salvage yards, unlike our TrailVoy machines, which seen to be non-existant, at leat in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
267 Posts
I think you can pick up the winch for $100 or so from GM Parts Direct.

This issue does happen, not extremely common, but there have been several people here at Trailvoy with the issue.

Just to clarify, if your winch works fine, then you can lower the spare and raise it as many times as you please, the winch is not a single-use part.

I think in the past it's been more common that the tire won't lower because of the secondary latch, but when people keep cranking the winch then it just blows up and has to be replaced. I'm not familiar with what happens after you use the emergency latch and if it can be fixed (and how), but I'm sure that other people are.

And yes, it's recommended that you oil the system every time you lower the spare.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dealer looked at it and said it had to be replaced. Said i should crank it down once a year and oil it.

im guessing this was never done. its an 03 so...thats a few years without being oiled.

i tried a couple junk yards and they laughed...."Nope, dont have any of those trucks here"

so maybe i will try the explorer winch.

Thanks

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
5 Posts
I've had to use the spare tire a few times since 2003 and the system is a little difficult to use, but this last time I used it, the cable got all messed up in the pulley assembly.
Went to the local junk yard and luckily they had a truck just come in a few days earlier and got a new one for $20.
It's one of the easiest things to replace. 3 simple bolts.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
14 Posts
What am I stoopid?

Maybe i'm missing something under there... My spare tire will tighten up just fine but when I try to loosen it off it only comes down a couple of inches. The round mechanism at the end of the cable is rusted like crazy... Is that the 'safety' part? Tire drops 2" fine and goes right back up until it clicks fine but will NOT drop any lower than that....
I read the manual and thought I followed the instuctions by jacking up on the tire to hold it in place and then tried pulling down the cable but no difference. A couple of inches and that's it. The manual says pull the cable all the way down and then let the tire off the jack which makes sense to me but if the cable won't come all the way out does that mean the cable mechanism is pooched?

Signed,
Frustrated dummy (obviously I'm doing something wrong)
:bonk::duh:.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
You need to reread the instructions. You have to raise the jack in the middle of the tire to force the safety lock up. Try spraying the center cable connection with a penetrating oil, like P B Blaster, a day or so before you do this. Pushing up on the middle should unlock the safety latch. Then let the tire down. There is a post on cleaning and fixing the safety latch. Use the search function.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tire drops 2" fine and goes right back up until it clicks fine but will NOT drop any lower than that....

That is what happened to me. When I needed the spare tire I stuck in your situation. It was miserable! But yes, re-read the manual it explains how. You need to put the Jack unter the tire and life the cable to release the lock.

good luck when you are done, i did that and now i cant get the tire back up. it hangs about 2".

Does anyone know roughly what year Ford Explorers would match the TB?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts