Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did some research on this and my problem isn't the second lock thing because that is free'd up already. Anyways I was lowering the spare and it just stopped and won't go up or down. Maybe it broke?? It is full of dust and crap from the previous owner and gravel roads. The secondary lock is hanging so I'm pretty sure it isn't that.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
try going back up and then down.. I was lucky enough that it worked the first time on mine and I found an inch of dust and crap on the topside of the spare tire...

definitely clean it all out once you get it down

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
694 Posts
try going back up and then down.. I was lucky enough that it worked the first time on mine and I found an inch of dust and crap on the topside of the spare tire...

definitely clean it all out once you get it down
:iagree:If this doesnt work then the teeth have probably been stripped because of all the crap that gathers in the spline when not used. Then you use it for the first time in 4 years and it strips the gears out. Which means you are stuck removing this factory setup and trying to find somebody that has done a lift and now carries there spare in another location. They dont make a OEM replacement part for the spare tire carrier. When it breaks your screwed. :duh:Guess GM wasnt counting on this problem.:duh:

·
Banned
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
771 Posts
The winch is probably damaged, mine is split open and would not lower the latch. If it's not split open, pour some oil down the hole, get someone to turn it foward and backward and pull on the cable.

Replacement unit is here

Link not working, will update later.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm

go to "Rear Body and Floor" "Spare Tire Carrier" "Winch"

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya I tried going up and down a lot earlier lol. I can see things turning when I look underneath so idk if that means it is cracked open. I don't know what it is supposed to look like if ok. I'm going to try the junk yards.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
it's the Envoy Ext, they called it Xuv.
The EXT and the Envoy XUV are separate platforms in the same family. The XUV was the really rare one with an Avalanche-style midgate, an overhead sliding roof for the cargo area, and the tailgate that could swing down or sideways. You could also hose out the cargo area and it had water drainage management.

Not true, according to other members.
I think what he meant to say was there is no lower-cost aftermarket source for the winch. GM only.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
I think what he meant to say was there is no lower-cost aftermarket source for the winch. GM only.
Oh, okay. When he said "They dont make a OEM replacement part for the spare tire carrier. When it breaks your screwed. Guess GM wasnt counting on this problem" I thought he meant no one makes that part at all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I got one at the local salvage yard for 50 bucks. I could have got a new one for 100 but wanted to save the money I don't have lol. Hopefully it lasts. I sprayed it with wd40 and it turns real smooth. My old one broke its case. Also, when I bought the TB the check engine light had just come on the day before I picked it up and it was for the air pump (I can't remember if it was actually the pump but it is the one on the driver's side frame rail). They just gave the part to me and I just replaced that myself. It was pretty simple. I didn't want to wait a few days for them to do it.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
694 Posts
So I got one at the local salvage yard for 50 bucks. I could have got a new one for 100 but wanted to save the money I don't have lol. Hopefully it lasts. I sprayed it with wd40 and it turns real smooth. My old one broke its case. Also, when I bought the TB the check engine light had just come on the day before I picked it up and it was for the air pump (I can't remember if it was actually the pump but it is the one on the driver's side frame rail). They just gave the part to me and I just replaced that myself. It was pretty simple. I didn't want to wait a few days for them to do it.
Good to hear! :thumbsup: Just remember to raise and lower it once a month and maybe spray some wd40 up in there a couple times a year and it should last till the truck dies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts