Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is actually on my GMC Sierra but I have an Envoy and have tried the tire change tools from both. The female/inlet (whatever it is called) will not turn to lower the tire. The tool spins and i can see wear marks on the tool. So I guess the socket portion is stripped out. What can I use or do to lower the tire? Has anybody else experienced this?

·
Premium Member
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
481 Posts
I now carry my spare in the trunk because of this. It's usually the tool that gets stripped out (I've borrowed one from a fellow TB owner and it worked fine). I'm going to a junkyard Saturday to see if I can find a replacement.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
694 Posts
Are you sure the spare isnt just stuck??? That happens alot and people usually come to the same assumption you are having. I would turn it counter clockwise a few or maybe 10 rotations and then try to wiggle the spare.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have tried all this. I posted that I tried the tools from both the Voy and Sierra. The tire is able to move (a little) so it isn't stuck. The tool from the Voy had never been used, so the paint on it was new and now it is rubbed off from turning/stripping inside the the socket. I can actually feel it start to grab then give, every half rotation.
I was just wondering if anybody has tried a tool from another type of vehicle, or knows where to get a really long flathead screwdriver or maybe just try to weld a bead on one side to "extend" the flat part.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
173 Posts
always i have this problem . one time i spent about one hour to take it out

bu finely i fix it by acdelco spray and now its working
my frind replace all this stuff with nissan datsun 1982 :crackup:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,568 Posts
did u undo the secondary lock to lower the tire? cause the way it is it will lower a little bit then lower no more till u unlatch/unlock the secondary holding device...

·
Premium Member
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
268 Posts
if the spare drops approx. 6 inches then it is the secondary latch that is the problem, it happened to me and if you do a search you will find a repair thread for this problem, good luck

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Found the thread(s) and my problem seems to be different.

The tire doesn't actually drop any but it isn't completely locked/stuck to the frame either. I can moved it by pushing on it. The cable doesnt drop either. I have tried to turn the piece by hand, that holds the tire up, and I can but it is also hard to do.
I guess I will try to spray everything with WD-40, except the socket, and hope for the best.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts