Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lowered my spare tire last night, just for a dry run, since I tow our camper with my 2005 Trailblazer and wanted to practice "just in case." I've read through the old threads about lowering the spare tire, disengaging the secondary latch, etc., but I have two questions in which I cannot find answers:

1) The tire looks fine minus all the road crud from living in Wisconsin, but I'm wondering how long a full-size spare holds up. Looks fine to me, but it's the original tire. Should I be concerned about dry rot, or anything like that given its age?

2) I was able to lower the tire following the steps in the manual, but when I cranked it back up, the winch skips at the top, but the tire feels like it should go another 1/2 inch because I can still lightly turn it. It is very close to the top. Is this tight enough? When I lowered it again, I did not need to disengage the secondary latch, but I'm guessing maybe you don't always need to do that if it comes down on its own. Just feels like it should be a little tighter. so that I cannot turn the tire. Thoughts?

Just trying to be proactive in case I were to ever have a flat, especially with the family and towing our camper. Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
My spare is the original 2005 GY tire. It looks fine, as there is no dry rot or other damage. I have no issue using it, but will be replacing it in the near future.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My spare is the original 2005 GY tire. It looks fine, as there is no dry rot or other damage. I have no issue using it, but will be replacing it in the near future.
I'll keep the spare on for now - thanks! Any thoughts on the tire not being 100% tight to the top when stored? There is about 1/2 inch gap, just enough for a very small wobble and the tire can lightly turn.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The tire should fit snug with no wobble.

I'd bring the tire down, give the underside a good bath, lubricate the hoist assemble and cable, and put the tire back up. You don't want the tire to be stuck in the up position if you have a flat......

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tire should fit snug with no wobble.

I'd bring the tire down, give the underside a good bath, lubricate the hoist assemble and cable, and put the tire back up. You don't want the tire to be stuck in the up position if you have a flat......
Thanks for the advice. Do you think the winch might be slipping with it that close to the top because it needs lubrication? Any tips on what to use and where to and not to lubricate? Just wondering if there are any spots to avoid so the winch doesn't slip or is that a non-issue? Any tips on how to do this would be great.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Possibly. You may want to just take the thing apart and inspect it. I've never done it, but is should be fairly simple....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts