Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm steadily working on collecting all the pieces to lift my 03 LTZ and every corner holds new ideas and surprises. People on this site seem to really know their stuff. In my anal ambition, I was looking on ebay to replace the stock spare tire rim (the rim being just black steel) with a stock 5 spoke rim to match the ones on the rest of the car. I pick up a used one at a reasonable price. The idea being, I could put the spare into a rotation with the other tires to extend the life of the tires or if I chose to somehow mount the spare on the back of the truck, the rim (now visible) will look better than the black one.

So here are my questions:

1) I'm planning on purchasing a 32" or 33" tire as part of the lift project. Will the larger spare tire still fit under the truck?

2) If I purchase the new 5 spoke rim for the spare, can this be mounted under the truck with the stock hardware? I don't know if the spare tire rim has a special mounting assembly that doesn't work with the finished rims. I'm guessing it will, otherwise, you have to put the flat in the SUV while using the spare.

3) Finally, I really like the look of seeing the spare on the back tailgate and with new large offroad tires and a finished rim it would be a shame to hide it under the SUV. Do they make a kit that I can use to mount the tire on the tailgate? I've seen some picture on this site where this has been done. Manufacturer, model number and approx cost would be helpful.

4) Do they make a kit to mount it on the roof of the car? I've seen some pictures where it looks like roof mounted spares are just bungied to the luggage rack.

:thx

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
1) I'm planning on purchasing a 32" or 33" tire as part of the lift project. Will the larger spare tire still fit under the truck?
Look at your current spare. It's 29". Most of us with 32-33" tires concluded they can't possibly fit, or if they did, they would be killed by dragging on the trails because they intrude into the departure angle. Getting rid of the resonator makes this risk worse. And most larger tires are also wider, so they stick down more.
2) If I purchase the new 5 spoke rim for the spare, can this be mounted under the truck with the stock hardware? I don't know if the spare tire rim has a special mounting assembly that doesn't work with the finished rims. I'm guessing it will, otherwise, you have to put the flat in the SUV while using the spare.
The spare rim winch just uses the centerbore hole, and those have to be the same for all rims, so I don't see why not. Except for that diameter problem.
3) Finally, I really like the look of seeing the spare on the back tailgate and with new large offroad tires and a finished rim it would be a shame to hide it under the SUV. Do they make a kit that I can use to mount the tire on the tailgate? I've seen some picture on this site where this has been done. Manufacturer, model number and approx cost would be helpful.
It's called the Hitchgate. Run a search for my thread introducing the item. I'm sure I had the first one, since I got it for a misprinted prive from 4 Wheel Parts just after it was introduced. www.tiregate.com About $700 plus shipping now. Unless you want to buy mine - I think I'm going to just go with roof mount for now.
4) Do they make a kit to mount it on the roof of the car? I've seen some pictures where it looks like roof mounted spares are just bungied to the luggage rack.
That's what some of us do, all right. Roof racks like the Yakima and Surco have spare tire mounting kits, but they're typically $60-75 and we're too frugal to spend that much.

This might have been better put in the Offroad forum. Mods?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts