Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanna add some sound deadening to my truck later on this summer before I install my upcoming system and was curious how much I would need to cover the doors, floor, interior firewall, and roof..

I figured 120 sq. feet would be plenty but not sure..

Also what do you guys recommend? Dynamat? Second Skin? RAAMmat?

What have you guys used and where have you put it.. etc. etc.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
second skin is one of the best, but ive use dynamat on all 5 doors with good results. they have their extreme bulk kits on ebay for $100ish.

just checked out ebay, guess prices increased a little its now like $135.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_denali
86 Posts
I have found fatmat to be cheaper and just as effective as dynamat. I installed dynamat in my uncles 69 Mach1, it works pretty well considering the car wasnt designed to be quiet. After that I started using fatmat and have put it in another uncles 72 Chevelle SS, my dads 63 Buick Riviera, and my 67 Camaro. These are all small to mid size cars. I put it damn near everywhere, but usually one 100' kit runs abit short. This is doing the roof, inside trunk, inside doors, entire floor, including the firewall, rear wheel houses, etc.
Just my :m2:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,369 Posts
Dynamat install here, only 4 doors and hood but man what a difference. If I ever got the gumption, or free time, to do the rest of the truck I'd think I was driving a limo. I think I got about as much out of the hood that I did the doors so I don't think you can lose either way (except for your pocketbook).

Good Luck,
Keith

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
I insulated my Vette. I used a product I bought from exoticvette.com. He doesn't make it for the TV but it only weighed about 5-7 lbs plus alum tape. Some things you might want to consider. Buy extra fasteners as you will probably break a few. Give yourself plenty of time. The popping sound of the fasteners disengaging will drive you nuts at first. Remember that the panels will be harder to install with the insulation in place. The more you put down the harder it will be. Don't cover any essential vents.

You are probably asking why I installed it on my Corvette. Well the center tunnel use to get real warm. You didn't want anything that can melt or didn't like to get real warm in the center console. Drove it in Vegas about 2 weeks ago and didn't have any problems. Some other benefits is noise level is reduced. I don't know how much, maybe only a couple of db. You may notice more creaks and rattles though since it will most likely be quieter. I have the NPP dual mode exhaust option on the vette and an aftermarket part that allows you to keep it open or close. Open means more noise and a few more hp. Before the drone while being open would drive you nuts after awhile. Now with the insulation even my wife likes to cruise with it open. It gives the Vette a nicer sound.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
9,380 Posts
Too bad we can't just drive over to Dynamat and get the stuff at a discount since it's right down the street.
yeah I know... pisses me off they dont have a showroom or on-site store to buy it from :mad:
I also had that thought. Called them but no outlet sales. :hopeless

I bought 50 sheets of second skin. That amount covered the rear half of my truck and the four doors all with two layers. Have about 10 sheets left over. Did not do front half or liftgate yet.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,531 Posts
I'm thinking about going with fatmat or edead. Those appear to be the most reasonable on price. If I could afford dynamat or second skin I would, but I can't.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.