Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve looked under truck because that’s where noise(which sounds like an electric motor) comes from the only way it shuts off is to disconnect the battery. Other then it draining my battery it doesn’t seem to be affecting anything else, drives and starts like it should at first I thought maybe the bendics from the starter but it’s not it’s a little box hooked to the frame just under the driver’s side seat

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
4,353 Posts
Although you failed to post the YEAR/MAKE/MODEL/ENGINE in your vehicle --- I'll make a wild-assed guess..... It's you Aux Air Injection Pump. The relay is prolly stuck.

Do not disconnect your battery again ... you may have already damaged some hard to repair devices.

I thought maybe the bendics
What's a "bendics"? Do you really mean to say: "bendix"?

Your starter doesn't have one ... you'll go blind looking for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Although you failed to post the YEAR/MAKE/MODEL/ENGINE in your vehicle --- I'll make a wild-assed guess..... It's you Aux Air Injection Pump. The relay is prolly stuck.

Do not disconnect your battery again ... you may have already damaged some hard to repair devices.

What's a "bendics"? Do you really mean to say: "bendix"?

Your starter doesn't have one ... you'll go blind looking for it.
The vehicle is obviously a Chevy trailblazer it’s a 2003 4.2 and if I don’t disconnect the battery that thing will drain in most inconvenient times

·
Premium Member
2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LTZ 4.2L
193 Posts
The vehicle is obviously a Chevy trailblazer it’s a 2003 4.2 and if I don’t disconnect the battery that thing will drain in most inconvenient times
Not obvious due to the fact that there's the Trailblazer, Envoy, Bravada, 9-7x and Rainier. A little courtesy and clarity go a LONG way around here.

As far as not disconnecting the battery goes, it's your truck and your money. Just know that whenever the battery disconnects and reconnects, your HVAC system actuators go into a relearn procedure, and the 19 year old plastic in your "obvious" Trailblazer can crack and break, resulting in them no longer functioning properly. It's a bear of a job to replace them. The alternative is to remove the fuse of the electrical component you are working on/fixing/replacing/stopping from draining your battery until you get it sorted out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not obvious due to the fact that there's the Trailblazer, Envoy, Bravada, 9-7x and Rainier. A little courtesy and clarity go a LONG way around here.

As far as not disconnecting the battery goes, it's your truck and your money. Just know that whenever the battery disconnects and reconnects, your HVAC system actuators go into a relearn procedure, and the 19 year old plastic in your "obvious" Trailblazer can crack and break, resulting in them no longer functioning properly. It's a bear of a job to replace them. The alternative is to remove the fuse of the electrical component you are working on/fixing/replacing/stopping from draining your battery until you get it sorted out.
My mistake I just thought this site was for trailblazers only….. what fuse would I pull out since I don’t even know what it is I can tell you that when I went under there (with a can of wd 40) and looked at it again it seemed to have tranny lines hooked to it

·
Premium Member
2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LTZ 4.2L
193 Posts
My mistake I just thought this site was for trailblazers only….. what fuse would I pull out since I don’t even know what it is I can tell you that when I went under there (with a can of wd 40) and looked at it again it seemed to have tranny lines hooked to it
As Ravalli mentioned a few posts up, it sounds like the "Aux Air Injection Pump. The relay is prolly stuck. " Start with the relay first. YouTube Academy should have a couple videos showing you how to test it, or you could take another known good relay and swap it. If the issues remains, it's not the relay. If the issue stops, it is likely the relay.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
4 Posts
Just a thought - are you sure it's not the HVAC air sensor fan located in the pillar on the driver's side. That fan will run for what seems like forever, but I noticed it runs for a looong time after shutdown and then starts up as soon as either the doors are unlocked with the key fob or the the door is opened (dome light). I've seen some posts saying it never shuts off - but the current draw on that little fan is around 20 ma. Not enough drain to kill a healthy battery for a few months even if did run continuously.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
4 Posts
If you have a digital volt meter (even a cheap Harbor Freight one will do) you should be able to track down the fuse/circuit that's causing the drain. There are many how-to videos & discussions on how to measure across a fuse for parasitic current draw, there's even charts on how many amps are being drawn by setting the meter to read millivolts, placing the probe tips on the exposed metal tabs on the top of the fuse - the chart will give you a current draw based on the size (amp rating) of the fuse and the millivolt reading displayed on your meter. May take a little bit of time going through both fuse boxes (underhood & under rear seat), but using the fuse layout diagram, you can start by checking only the fuses that seem related to the drive line, ABS & 4WD systems. No need to pull each fuse or disconnect any wiring. That method helped me find a battery killing On-Star module in a 2000 suburban. Maybe this can help you out?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts