Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Front, driverside. I found it while painting the caliper. Is it ment to be like that. With a large gap. it dosent seem to be loose if shake it. Its the lower control arm just incase you cant tell from the pic

Thanks

Attachments

·
Banned
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Would this be the control arm bushing that cant be replaced? I gotta get a whole new arm?

Also would this cause a noise similer to the end links when they go bad. Because recently Ive had a hell of a noise that sounds similar. I checked the end links and they are good. (replaced them a few months back)

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Your not getting any shake, because the weight of the truck is on the control arm.

If you jack it up, there might be some shake.

·
Banned
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your not getting any shake, because the weight of the truck is on the control arm.

If you jack it up, there might be some shake.

I got the driver side up right now doing the brakes. No shake. But a big gap there.

·
Banned
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm, how does the other side look :undecided

Ok, looks like Joe solved that problem

Haven't got over there yet, I go sick my head in there. Be right back!:coffee

·
Banned
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, im back. The other side is the same. I guess my search continues for the clunking/rattling:rolleyes::rolleyes::hahano:. Its seems I can hear it in the back to, but that may be just the sound bouncing off the jursy barriers on the highway. Rear endlinks are good to go too.

I guess Ill get the whole truck up tonight and start shaken things:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

·
Banned
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what about your sway bar bushings?? those go bad as well

I have been wanting to replace them with poly's. The "look" intact. I mean they are there. The brakets that hold them are rusted to hell. Since it was raining today, when I pulled into the garage and took off the driverside front tire, I did notice that...the best I can discribe "the bushing was clean about 1/2 to 3/4 an inch on either side." like the sway bar was moving inside the bushing.

By the way do ya know the diamiter of the rear bushings? I mesured it at one inch. Autozone has energy suspention universals at one inch. But I dont remember anything being SAE on the TB.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
The pictured mount for the lower strut to control arm is fine....that bolt is pressed into a rubber sleeve and that's what they look like.

Although you're end-links look fine, I'd be willing to bet the nut just isn't tight enough! After replacement, I was ready to replace mine again on at least 3 occasion due to noise on bumps. The factory unit is VERY difficult to get sufficiently tight that they both are quiet and stay that way any length of time. (Usually its the end on the control arm). You really need to get a long wrench and a beefy allen/hex wrench and twist the hell out them. The 2nd time I tightened them (initial was under warranty), I literally twisted the hex wrench and they haven't made a peep since.

·
Banned
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The pictured mount for the lower strut to control arm is fine....that bolt is pressed into a rubber sleeve and that's what they look like.

Although you're end-links look fine, I'd be willing to bet the nut just isn't tight enough! After replacement, I was ready to replace mine again on at least 3 occasion due to noise on bumps. The factory unit is VERY difficult to get sufficiently tight that they both are quiet and stay that way any length of time. (Usually its the end on the control arm). You really need to get a long wrench and a beefy allen/hex wrench and twist the hell out them. The 2nd time I tightened them (initial was under warranty), I literally twisted the hex wrench and they haven't made a peep since.

Ill give it a turn or two!

Should you be able to move the tie rods with it up in the air?

·
Banned
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found this from a search on tie rods

brendanpower

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Moondust Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4

Yes that would be bad.
As to what ends to replace, it depends which ones have the movement. Easiest to have someone jog the wheel back and forth, and feel for the click. Inners are a bit harder the get your fingers on to.
As for the whirring noise, could be as a result of bad tierod ends, but its usually bad bearings. Jack up the front, and check for up and down movement on the front wheels.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
The tie rods when suspended on jack stands will swing back and forth fairly easily (like a porch swing motion) and thats normal..

Whats not normal is if you grab em and shake them and they jiggle a bit front to rear or side to side is when you need to replace the tie rod ends

·
Banned
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The tie rods when suspended on jack stands will swing back and forth fairly easily (like a porch swing motion) and thats normal..

Whats not normal is if you grab em and shake them and they jiggle a bit front to rear or side to side is when you need to replace the tie rod ends

ahh, good description. it does move like a swing. no side to side. Glad I read it. I was about to order from rock auto.

The search for the noise..........continues.:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

I sure at the meet someone will find it in 2 sec. Thats if she doesn't rattle apart on the way to Michigan.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
If the sway bar moves side to side, check the ends to see if the are contacting metal.

·
Banned
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If the sway bar moves side to side, check the ends to see if the are contacting metal.

No metal contact. a closer look at the sway bar bushings revealed a sizable space between the bar and bushing (about 1/8 or so gap). Im ordering the polys today from JEGS.

While putting the tiers back on I found some play with the wheel. (side to side). No play up and down. I held on to the tie rod end, it does move a little when I move the wheel but now as much as the wheel does. Id say the wheel has as much as an inch movement side to side. The tread looks even.

I wonder if this would explain why that wheel felt like it "rolled under" while turning left "hard" and accelerating (fairly hard). :undecided

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
No metal contact. a closer look at the sway bar bushings revealed a sizable space between the bar and bushing (about 1/8 or so gap). Im ordering the polys today from JEGS.

While putting the tiers back on I found some play with the wheel. (side to side). No play up and down. I held on to the tie rod end, it does move a little when I move the wheel but now as much as the wheel does. Id say the wheel has as much as an inch movement side to side. The tread looks even.

I wonder if this would explain why that wheel felt like it "rolled under" while turning left "hard" and accelerating (fairly hard). :undecided
That seems like way too much. Are you checking when the truck is on the ground? It really takes two people to do the check. One to look under while the other moves the wheel.:m2:

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
thats alot of rust........:eek:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts