Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the call today, Its gone, 6900 worth of damage. No idea what Ill be getting for a check, I am thinking ill have around 2000 after the rest of the loan is paid off.

Spent all day looking at used TBs, Envoys, Xterra's ect. I couldn't find one that didn't smell like smoke or kid puke inside. Most were the old man tan color that i despise. Autotrader shows a few more I want to check out.

While at the dealer a salesman suggested I look at the regular cab short bed silverado they had in the show room. its an 08 and they have a $6000 rebate on it. Looks nice, Love the interior too. Best part is out the door price with a free trailer hitch installed would be 11621. The kicker is my parents have almost 3k in GM card earnings they said I could use because they expire in June and they won't be using them by then.

So whats your thoughts around 8k for a used TB, have to put my extra from the insurance down on it, or around 8k for a brand new silverado, get 3k in free money from mom and dad, and keep the approximate 2k in my pocket to help pay for school and such. I am really torn even though it seems like an easy choice.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
It it were me I'd go with the Silverado. I think they are a very good looking truck. You get a new truck and a little cash in your pocket. What's not to love?

Bottom line though it has to be something you are happy with. Good luck!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,568 Posts
the reason i got the TB was cause i had a reg cab pick up.. and there was no room what so ever in the cab and i hated it.. i mean in ur situation i would go for the new truck if it was the ext cab or crew cab... and plus since i like power i would want a 8 in it.. but if u dont like the extra space i say get the brand new spanking truck... but for me i wouldnt cause i needed the extra space..

but its ur money ur choice.. and what ever u get ur still going to midwest... :raspberry

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well Ive had a regular cab dakota, which was tiny, and a 2000 regular cab silverado, this things cab is even bigger than that one. Who knows, Im going down there around 5 to check it out with my dad. Its in the showroom which is cool.

I have a hard time justifying not taking the 3k for free from the rents.

·
Registered
281 Posts
i was in a simliar situation a few months back when the market was low but not as lowas it is now.

also similiar situation in that i had as much gm card earnings to use as GM would allow.

what i ran into is the inability to use the GM card earnings if you are getting the "employee" pricing or some other discounts that they will give you.

the silverados are very nice trucks, my dad has one and i cant complain about it one bit.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,786 Posts
Not knowing how you use your vehicle, makes providing any input difficult. Not knowing how much you can afford is also another issue. If I were in your shoes and able to afford a new vehicle, I would. Its a great time to purchase a new vehicle. Every dealer is hurting, and if you don't care about options/colors, you can get a real good deal on an 08.

I do agree a regular cab can have little room, but depending on what you carry more, people or cargo, is a deciding factor. Cargo, you can always purchase a tool chest/cover/cap to store all your stuff in, and if you like to mod, there is a huge market in the fullsize trucks. Personally, I'd go with an extended cab if this was my only vehicle. I think GM is offering 8,000 off in incentives for 08 extended and crew cabs, so if you can find one to your liking, I say go for new. If you don't need the bed, GM makes a short bed, same bed size they use on the crew cabs, I think its 5'5 or something.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
08 Silverado ain't a bad idea at all for the price........but you will be spending a little more on gas if being a V8........welll......hope everything works out for you and Good luck!!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
If I were you, I'd try to swing the new vehicle if it's at all possible, whether it's a truck or a TrailBlazer....lifetime warranty is too good to pass up (as long as GM is still in business....LOL)

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
3,118 Posts
What dealer are you going with ??
Check out what Don McCue has..
I have a friend that works there..

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
162 Posts
GM dollars

I've never had any so I don't know - are you only allowed to use those on new vehicles, or is it possible to use them on used and/or certified? If so, I would look into that personally. Don't think I would be able to live with a regular cab, but that's just me. TBs and Silverados only a couple years old are relatively reasonably priced. Of course, they don't include that new car (truck) smell...

·
Registered
chevy
357 Posts
May be off topic??

:hijackedI just recently got into an accident with my 2003 EXT. I'm just curious, what is the percent of damage costs versus the value of your vehicle? What actually determines if the vehicle is totaled or repairable? Also, if anyone can clarify if determining "totality" is the same in all states being that I'm in Minnesota and you could be from Alabama.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
261 Posts
If it were me id go with the pickup, but only if it had a 5.3 and a dark color interior. Ive seen the new silverado on the inside and they are nice. Plus like another one of us stated there is alot of options for modding. Even if you dont have a tb you still got friends on here.:grouphug:

goodluck with your decision.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,125 Posts
:hijackedI just recently got into an accident with my 2003 EXT. I'm just curious, what is the percent of damage costs versus the value of your vehicle? What actually determines if the vehicle is totaled or repairable? Also, if anyone can clarify if determining "totality" is the same in all states being that I'm in Minnesota and you could be from Alabama.
more often than not if the repair amount exceeds the vehicle value it's considered "totaled"

·
Registered
chevy
357 Posts
Luis

I figured that Luis. I just thought there was a magic percentage that they go by though. Did some research and my TB is worth about $10000 give or take a few hundred. Wanted to calculate damage cost to determine if it was totaled.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,568 Posts
each state is different.. some is full cost others is 75% and so on... best bet is to call ur insurance company and ask them..

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
I figured that Luis. I just thought there was a magic percentage that they go by though. Did some research and my TB is worth about $10000 give or take a few hundred. Wanted to calculate damage cost to determine if it was totaled.
:iagree: with hatchet669. I think it is usually in the 75 percent range.

Off topic - I see you are from Saint Paul. I lived there for about 7 years in the 80's. I really liked it. Winters were a little on the cold side, but I liked the area. I used to work at St Paul Ramsey Medical Center. I was there in 2005 and noticed the name changed. Forgot what it is now! (That's what happens when you get old) :)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well its a v6 20 mpg highway.

Picked her up tonight, i love it. Its just a base model, lots of mod options.

Also a plus, I got 7500 from the insurance company, i only owe 3600 on my TB. I paid for the silverado with only a 1000 down plus all the incentives so i have a ton of mod money left over.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts