Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it says to cover any electrical but, what other things should I be concerned of not getting wet. And what all parts can be sprayed with engine brite?! Here's an image, maybe someone could circle the things that need be covered? By the way cover is off due to cleaning TB. 006-2.jpg

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8,770 Posts
Start by disconnecting the negative battery cable and covering the alternator and battery with a plastic bag. Reinstall the resonator or cover the throttle body (DO NOT LET WATER GET IN THERE)

Then just mist down the engine bay, spray on some degreaser, wait for about 4-5 minutes, then rinse the engine off. Remember not to just pour water over the engine but to spray it on. What I do is use a $1 toilet bowl brush to give the engine a thorough brushing :D

Hose it all down, and let it dry. You can also use some rags to dry up most of the water, then turn the engine on for about 10 minutes:yes:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8,770 Posts
Yeah a bit of water would be ok. Just to be safe, vocer your PCM with a plastic bag. It's the metal thing commected to the intake with 3 wire harnesses connecting to it. I never did, but it's more of a preventative measure

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
I put water in a plastic spray pump and spray it down after I use degreaser and Engine Brite..

No using a Jet nozzle on your garden hose :nono::nono:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
3,219 Posts
I take tin foil and cover my pcm, alternator, intake and battery connections. After rinsing with the hose, I take my shop vac to suck up as much water as possible. Don't forget to remove whatever you use as a cover. After everything dries, then you can use your choice of detailing product to make everything shine.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
When I clean my engine, I cover everything that I cover when I drive in the rain.:thumbsup: But, do cover the throttle body opening.

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
1,852 Posts
Use a pressure washer at a do-it-yourself car wash. Those don't have enough pressure to damage anything and you don't be dumping straight water on the engine. You don't want to just pump water over everything, run the nozzle over to blow off the debris and dirt but not to get water inside everything. I don't cover up anything when I clean an engine bay. Like I said, just make sure not to concentrate water on one place to where it will pool up.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
232 Posts
I spray degreaser, let it sit 5min and hose it off. never a problem.
If you have intake of course you should plastic bag it, but water isnt gonan get in the stock air box

1 - 9 of 9 Posts