Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned dozens of vehicles and have to rate my 06 4wd extended trailblazer as the absolute worst. It came with all seasons and I figured I could maybe just use them, despite my better judgment. What I quickly found was that even the smallest slippery incline required 4wd to climb. I quickly went out and bought 4 Blizzaks and now it works fine.

I cannot imagine using a RWD model in the snow without good tires, a load of weight in the back and a tow chain on the floor

·
Registered
2008 isuzu ascender
975 Posts
I live in upstate NY and I have 2wd and have never really had an issue. I just take my time and if the snow is that deep I figure I shouldnt be out driving anyway . Dont have snow tires on .

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in upstate NY and I have 2wd and have never really had an issue. I just take my time and if the snow is that deep I figure I shouldnt be out driving anyway . Dont have snow tires on .
Interesting. Mine is the extended wheelbase, maybe it's lighter in the back. I live S. of Buffalo, so we get a lot of wet snow off the lake. Mine does fine with 4 snows, but just getting underway I sometimes need to use 4wd. It's similar to an old American sedan or full size van

·
Registered
2008 isuzu ascender
975 Posts
Interesting. Mine is the extended wheelbase, maybe it's lighter in the back. I live S. of Buffalo, so we get a lot of wet snow off the lake. Mine does fine with 4 snows, but just getting underway I sometimes need to use 4wd. It's similar to an old American sedan or full size van
Yeah that's possible if you have an EXT . version . If snowey and slush yes it does takes a little to get going because the I6 puts out good torque and that will spin the tires which then kicks in traction control which kills power to the rear wheels which I do hate .

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that's possible if you have an EXT . version . If snowey and slush yes it does takes a little to get going because the I6 puts out good torque and that will spin the tires which then kicks in traction control which kills power to the rear wheels which I do hate .
Only after the snow melted did I discover the switch to shut TC off. Looking forward to using it next winter.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
66 Posts
I have owned dozens of vehicles and have to rate my 06 4wd extended trailblazer as the absolute worst. It came with all seasons and I figured I could maybe just use them, despite my better judgment. What I quickly found was that even the smallest slippery incline required 4wd to climb. I quickly went out and bought 4 Blizzaks and now it works fine.

I cannot imagine using a RWD model in the snow without good tires, a load of weight in the back and a tow chain on the floor
I agree!! I can't even make it across my pasture without using 4LO. My Explorers, Jeeps and so on 2 WD was good. I have a 1987 2 wheel drive Mazda P/U that I can get out with. Same with snow just spins tires in 2
WD.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree!! I can't even make it across my pasture without using 4LO. My Explorers, Jeeps and so on 2 WD was good. I have a 1987 2 wheel drive Mazda P/U that I can get out with. Same with snow just spins tires in 2
WD.
I wonder if they had to mess with weight distribution to deal with the rollover tendencies? I suspect it's not random that they added that whole rube goldberg Stabiltrak system and bolted a big heavy spare tire down under the frame.

Mine is clearly light in the back, but with the third row seat it has a 1400 pound payload so maybe they designed it that way, like a full size van or pickup?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts