Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:weird:So I went to check my tranny fluid...unlocked and pulled the handle...and SNAP. The very top of the dipstick was rusted and snapped right off. WTF? I was able to pull out the rest of it...fluid looked nice and red.:thumbsup:

Happen to anyone else? I'm gonna put the handle back on and leave it that way...going in for an oil change next week, we'll see if they actually check it like they're supposed to.:rolleyes::hissy:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
76 Posts
:weird:So I went to check my tranny fluid...unlocked and pulled the handle...and SNAP. The very top of the dipstick was rusted and snapped right off.
Gotta be the first time I ever heard of this happening.:rolleyes: While were on dipsticks. My (lock) on my dipstick is useless!! Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,267 Posts
ive read a few other cases on here of the dipstick rusting on the top and breaking off... I dont remember what the cause was....

let us know what they say about the dipstick when you test the place out..

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
261 Posts
did you get a whole new dipstick from chevy for only $5?

luckily mine still stays locked in place.
I believe it was less than $5, I was buying other stuff for the bearing carrier that I keep breaking at the same time. 2 bearings/1 seal/1 washer and the dipstick was about $35. Yes, it was a dealership. Maybe $6?

Oh, to them its not a dipstick, it's an indicator.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
138 Posts
Today while I was getting the oil changed in my wifes 05 TB the tech was checking all the fluid levels and when he came to the tranny dipstick it was rusted off in the pipe. (last oil change was ~4500-5000 miles ago and it was fine).

I searched as any good member would do and wow, I was not expecting to see the amount of previous posts about this issue.

I however didn't find a solution in any of those on how to get the old stick out. I went to the junk yard today after i got the oil changed and picked one out of a TB in the yard for 5 bucks. I got home and tried to get the old one out but I couldn't grab it with needle nose pliers. So i just left the old one in there, and put the new one in next to it, and removed it a few times to see if it would grab on the old one but it just came out single.

Are there any disadvantages of leaving the old one in there or should I not worry about it and just use the new one?

Thanks for the input.

Steve

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today while I was getting the oil changed in my wifes 05 TB the tech was checking all the fluid levels and when he came to the tranny dipstick it was rusted off in the pipe. (last oil change was ~4500-5000 miles ago and it was fine).

I searched as any good member would do and wow, I was not expecting to see the amount of previous posts about this issue.

I however didn't find a solution in any of those on how to get the old stick out. I went to the junk yard today after i got the oil changed and picked one out of a TB in the yard for 5 bucks. I got home and tried to get the old one out but I couldn't grab it with needle nose pliers. So i just left the old one in there, and put the new one in next to it, and removed it a few times to see if it would grab on the old one but it just came out single.

Are there any disadvantages of leaving the old one in there or should I not worry about it and just use the new one?

Thanks for the input.

Steve

I was able to get mine out with a small pair of needle-nose pliers.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
20 Posts
Had my '05 TB in the shop for the 100,000 mile transmission service (filter and flush). The dealer quoted $200 for this service, which I would normally do myself but it was there for other reasons and I didn't feel like screwing with it. Got a call a couple hours later and the service manager said they had a "surprise". They were refilling the tranny and went to check the level and the dipstick broke off. They could not fish it out, and said they would have to drop the pan again to recover it. Parts and labor an additional $115. :mad: It struck me as just wrong but at that point what can you do?

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xuv
419 Posts
My dipstick broke off as well. You have to think 60k miles of not being exposed to anything it wouldnt have any issues. NOPE snapped right off. Got the dipstick out, but haven't been able to find one for anything less than like $45.

If you can grab a part # for the $6 one. That would be PRIMO.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
20 Posts
My friend has a Chrysler Pacifica, and it doesn't even have a tranny dipstick, just a cap. Manual says you must take it to the dealer who has a special "gauge".

·
South Chapter
4,487 Posts
:weird:So I went to check my tranny fluid...unlocked and pulled the handle...and SNAP. The very top of the dipstick was rusted and snapped right off. WTF? I was able to pull out the rest of it...fluid looked nice and red.:thumbsup:

Happen to anyone else? I'm gonna put the handle back on and leave it that way...going in for an oil change next week, we'll see if they actually check it like they're supposed to.:rolleyes::hissy:
I just noticed last week that mine was cracked about halfway around the tube....right above the support where it bolts to the rear of the Head.....Coincidence? I only noticed because I had just added a Trans cooler and added a little fluid and my wife asked me what was on the floor under the truck.....go figure, the fluid ran down the tube, out the spilt and onto the floor :hissy:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
5 Posts
Ditto ...

Just wanted to add one more to the mix - just tried top check mine and couldn't believe that the stick rusted about an inch from the top. I looked down the tube to see if I could retrieve it but am seeing nothing.
I was pretty freaked out about it and came right here to see if this has happened to anyone else and, like misery loves company, I was relieved to see that it ain't just mine. I've owned a dozen cars over the past 40 yrs and never seen/experienced this before. WTH ????

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
10 Posts
My dipstick broke off as well. You have to think 60k miles of not being exposed to anything it wouldnt have any issues. NOPE snapped right off. Got the dipstick out, but haven't been able to find one for anything less than like $45.

If you can grab a part # for the $6 one. That would be PRIMO.
I got one from the dealer for $25, most recently on ebay for $12...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts