Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
In general, over a 285 shouldn't be fit on less than 7.5" wide wheels. Without changing wheels, your best bet is 265 as widest.

Just to reinforce this... if you want to go over 30.5" safely, you will need wheel spacers or new wheels with less backspacing.

Take a quick read through the tire/suspension/spec sticky at the top of the subforum. Your safest bet is to mimic one of those setups. Use that data to answer your woes about ride harshness. Each of those setups are quite comfortable for the specific user. I don't think anyone here has had any real complaints with the z71 springs or shocks... (or any of the plethora of lift components for that matter). Unless you're just getting groceries... you'll be happy with whatever setup you choose. Anything is better than stock.

Happy holidays fellas! :)

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I'm here, but been distracted a bit lately. :x

As the regulars know, my constant advice before starting a mod project is to define what KIND of offroading mission you have. What sort of trails and surfaces are you going to seek out if you had a more capable vehicle. Do you go out alone or with others? Is it a new hobby or are you continuing an old one with a newer vehicle and learning offroading techniques as you go along? What's your tolerance for pain, expense, and getting stuck? Are you going offroading to support a hiking hobby? Photography? Camping? Mudding?

There's plenty of resources for the searching, not always on trailvoy, that demonstrate why wider isn't always better in terms of offroading tires. Depends on the surfaces you're on, how much you air down, and what gears you're running. With larger tires, on 3.43 gears, it will be very difficult to climb 30 degree hills even on high traction dry sandstone.

I see the OP has an EXT, but I don't think I've seen his gear ratio, whether he has a G80, and what kind of trails are on the horizon. Mentioning a desire to end up level instead of accepting whatever height comes in the rear might be suboptimal especially with an EXT that will have problems with breakover angle because of the longer wheelbase.

So my advice is that we can give better advice if we knew a bit more about WHY.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts