Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I've decided to go with the SMAXX spacers kit as the BDS will not work on the extended.. and with the Z71 off road springs/shocks.

I want to get 32" tires so I will need a 3" lift I know the SMAXX will give 2.5" but I will still need about .5" more, can the Z71 Springs and shocks be used on the front? to give me more of a lift? or is there something better? all the topic I've seen are people using them on the rear?

Also can the 2.5" SMAXX (SMX-250XL) kit be used on the front and rear?

And lastly about raising the rear.. I want the whole truck to be level. So if something that is compatible with the front that I've said and isn't compatible with the rear or the opposite way around what can I do to get it all level?

Lastly can anyone give me the part numbers for the shocks/springs? there off a 07" tahoe right? that everyone is using? and does anyone have an estimate as to what all this will cost.. I know the SMX-250XL spacers are $150 per pair but I don't know what I'd be charged to install them as well as how much the Z71 parts are or to install them.

thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can I put them on both the front and rear? and how hard would you rate the SMAXX spacers?? If im going to do the springs and shocks myself.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
3,118 Posts
Can I put them on both the front and rear? and how hard would you rate the SMAXX spacers?? If im going to do the springs and shocks myself.
FYI:
The spacers for the front go between the spring and top plate.
The lift in the rear comes from adding blocks between the axle
or body perch and spring.
Not hard to install, i would advise useing a wall mounted spring compresser
for the front struts..
oh, and use PB Blaster or some kind of rust penitrating oil a few days before
you start the mod..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FYI:
The spacers for the front go between the spring and top plate.
The lift in the rear comes from adding blocks between the axle
or body perch and spring.
Not hard to install, i would advise useing a wall mounted spring compresser
for the front struts..
oh, and use PB Blaster or some kind of rust penitrating oil a few days before
you start the mod..
So on the front put:
- SMX-250XL Spacers
- Wall mounted spring compressor (examples?)

Rear:
- ?? Spacers can I use the SMX-250XL or SMX-15150
- Z71 Springs/Shocks

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I would have to rate the front spacers installation to be difficult

just make sure that you have another friand helping you out and what i used to compress the springs was the spring compressors from autozone the rears were easy a ten minute job

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,568 Posts
Okay so I've decided to go with the SMAXX spacers kit as the BDS will not work on the extended.. and with the Z71 off road springs/shocks.
the BDS will work on the EXT version.. and i am running BDS front and back with Avalanche shocks in the rear with no problem running 32"

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
:iagree: i believe the only TB's that the BDS doesn't work with are the V8 versions different suspension configurations

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the BDS will work on the EXT version.. and i am running BDS front and back with Avalanche shocks in the rear with no problem running 32"
Don't BDS only give 2" lift? which would give room for 31"? Is that all you have done in your pictures as to the lift? 2" BDS front/rear and rear shocks/springs?

EDIT:

I've also been reading about shocks on this forum and have found some people claim that they don't like the z71's and find them stiff? any comments? Since I see a lot of people have the BDS spacers with the Z71's here I'm guessing maybe its a problem with there shocks or how they were installed?

Also have seen some post saying that they would recommend FabTech 2.25" dirt logic shocks? and not to get ones like bilstein's or monroe's as there only stock length comments?

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
The Z71 shocks ARE stiff i mean they come from the Chevy Avalanche Z71's so they will be the avalanche's have to be able to carry a lot more weight then our TB's the shocks not only lift the TB but they also increase your payload by like 500lb's IIRC but otherwise if you don't like your rear end SLAMMING (and yes it does) when you go over speed bumps then there are a LOT of benes to installing them.

The dirt loogic shocks are good also but you have to have them custom fit to your TB i dont believe that they are just a plug and play item for us

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Z71 shocks ARE stiff i mean they come from the Chevy Avalanche Z71's so they will be the avalanche's have to be able to carry a lot more weight then our TB's the shocks not only lift the TB but they also increase your payload by like 500lb's IIRC but otherwise if you don't like your rear end SLAMMING (and yes it does) when you go over speed bumps then there are a LOT of benes to installing them.

The dirt loogic shocks are good also but you have to have them custom fit to your TB i dont believe that they are just a plug and play item for us
How bad is the slamming?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,568 Posts
the stiffness aint a problem to me.. yea its a little stiff since they are designed for heavier vehicles..

yes the front i have the 2" bds and the rear i have the 2" bds and avalanche springs..

and just the 2" front and i have 32".. the front can handle a little bigger.. u need to space them out a littl ebit but i have an effective 2" fornt lift with 1.5" offset spacing and the 32" fits perfect with no rubbing or cutting... and looking a little closer a 33" mite have fit.. and when i say mite.. the worst would have been a very little bit of trimming and grinding.. if u check my gallery i have some pics including the ball joint clearance.. the dirt logic if i remember is it needs to be customly done.. but i dont have those yet.. if u check out a sticky at the top of the off-road section there is a list of everyones set up with tires and suspension and everything... as well as check out some of our profiles and there is a list of what we have all done.. and most likly any question u have has been answered a few times in here..

but any questions feel free to ask and we will help ya... (providing u searched for the answer first :raspberry)

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=43057
that is my lift setup..

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=48929
and with the tires and rims..

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
How bad is the slamming?
The slamming aint too bad just like hatchet mentioned like if you're going 10-15mph over the speed bumps you WILL feel it but it's really not a big deal with them it doesn't make the ride uncomfortable to me atleast.

I think that you should try them first for awhile and see for yourself what they feel like i mean for all of the benefits that they give you and them being only 70-80$ for everything it aint a bad investment IMO

I think that you will like them like a lot of people do on this site :D :yes:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright thanks.

So I would order this..

http://www.bds-suspension.com/kits/168H
(but without the rear 5500 shocks)

Then the z71 off-road shocks/springs off an 07" avalanche part #'s 15234633 and 15810161 correct? I think I'm just going to get these off of GM since the only ones on ebay are $62 CDN + $60 Shipping CDN for used ones.

Then front shocks like bilsteins or monroe?

what about front springs stock?

EDIT:

What are the widest size that will fit on the TB after this? stocks are 245 right? can it go any wider?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,329 Posts

I'm sorry, but you keep asking the same question. The biggest issue with fitting taller tires on our vehicles is not the height of the vehicle. Granted, a suspension lift will allow some more for larger tires, you can essentially fit 31-32" tires on a stock height trailvoy... The biggest issue is the clearance to the upper ball joint in the front. The only thing to assist with this is more clearance horizontally, not vertically. There are 2 ways to accomplish this.. Wheel Spacers or Wheels with a lower offset that pushes the wheels and tires away from the vehicle more...

if you read through this thread, your questions will be answered.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=33809

I can't believe roadie hasn't slapped the Garfield Sticker down yet...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
but I wasnt asking about hight.. I was asking about width of the tire.. that list only shows wider tires as they get bigger... like the 285 is only shown on the 33"s and 305 is only shown on 34"s what if i wanted a 32" high tire that was 305mm wide?

and as per the parts I was just confirming that I have everything right as I don't want to start this and be missing something.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
261 Posts
then use the search button and keep searching untill you find most of your answers. there is plenty of information out there, im talking pages and pages all you have to do is look.

good luck:thx

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,329 Posts
but I wasnt asking about hight.. I was asking about width of the tire.. that list only shows wider tires as they get bigger... like the 285 is only shown on the 33"s and 305 is only shown on 34"s what if i wanted a 32" high tire that was 305mm wide?
not many people go wider without going taller too... at least not in the offroad section... Here's my suggestion... go out to your truck, measure the space between the tire now and the ball joint... ie, 1" clearance means you can go approx 2" wider in tire... give or take... without wheel spacers or grinding down the ball joint...

and as for a wider 32", take a look at the widest listed, and compare it to the size you want. If it is listed in that thread, someone has put them on. PM them for pics of the clearance to the ball joint, to get an idea of how much wider you can go...

Again, Not many of us go wider without going taller. so to keep asking us over and over again, what's the widest you can go, you're not going to get much specific help. You need to do some of the legwork yourself. As for your lift, the SMaxx kit in front will LEVEL the truck. Put the SMaxx in the rear too, and it will keep some of its natural rake. Stack the SMaxx in the rear with the Z71 springs, you'll get even more rake. Take a look at my thread about my lift, i'm running BDS susp lift all around and the Z71 rear springs... I love the look and the ride, just need taller tires...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts