Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pics in the last thread didnt work so here are the pics.
Tell me what you think...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really. the only time the ride quality changed is when i put on the first spacer that is inside the strut assembly, it got stiffer. But even though i just added the half inch i can tell a difference in ride height. also i flew over these two dips going 60, the sign reccomends you go 25 over them. But the truck sits like a prerunner right now so it handles dips and small jumps very good.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
16 Posts
looks great, nice job. i was thinkin bout doin the same thing to my voy. wasnt sure how much it would take away from the ride. how big did you go with the tires?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
looks great, nice job. i was thinkin bout doin the same thing to my voy. wasnt sure how much it would take away from the ride. how big did you go with the tires?
It just makes the ride a little more stiff in the front, which i think is a bonus. The ride is not harsh at all. The tires are 265/70/17 BFG TA/KO all terrain. When those tires wear out and after i install the Z71 springs and shocks and a 2 in body lift i will be getting 33in BFG mud terrain KM, which is the new tread pattern for the mud tire.

Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming!!!:yes:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
182 Posts
So am I reading this correctly, that is with the 2.5" front smaxx and no z71 springs yet? Looks pretty good like it is! My springs will be in soon and then the smaxx front lift! Got anymore pics? Looks great!!!

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
Remember, it looks good without any load in the back. If any of you carry supplies or trailers, your truck will squat a good amount. since I carry about 200-300 lbs around at all times, I NEED the Z71 springs to reduce the squat and retain the aft clearance.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Remember, it looks good without any load in the back. If any of you carry supplies or trailers, your truck will squat a good amount. since I carry about 200-300 lbs around at all times, I NEED the Z71 springs to reduce the squat and retain the aft clearance.
I agree. Not just for lift but one of the main reasons I am going to be adding the springs in rear is because i haul a very heavy trailer every once in a while. Its a 6ft tall 7 yard dumping trailer. It almost leaves my truck sittin on bump stops. But thats only if i need to move things.

One question about the springs, do they increase articulation in the rear axle? Or are they to stiff to fully compress? Just a thought.:undecided

And yes, just the 2.5 level kit in the front, no Z71 springs yet.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will post up some more pics tmrw if I have time after work.

Oh and anyone ever think about building a prerunner TV. I think that would be bad.:yes:

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
179 Posts
is the extra 1/2 inch spacer from smaxx easy to install? and how did you order it?
the truck looks great! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
is the extra 1/2 inch spacer from smaxx easy to install? and how did you order it?
the truck looks great! :thumbsup:
I just went on the Smaxx website and just found the part and ordered it. It wasnt hard to find at all. Took about ten mins to do everything.

Ya it was pretty easy to install, except on the drivers side when I was putting it back together i had to disconnect the sway bar link to get the bottom bolt for the strut on. The other side was no problem it went right together. IMO pretty easy stuff.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
179 Posts
thanks alot, do you know if this part will work if i already have the bds 2" spacer lift and is the extra 1/2" worth the $50s in your opinion?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No im almost positive this will not work with BDS. Smaxx original 2in spacer sits inside the strut which compresses the spring thus making it stiffer and taller. Where as the BDS lift sits on top of the strut itself. Oh and for 50 bucks I think i definatly got my moneys worth.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
One question about the springs, do they increase articulation in the rear axle? Or are they to stiff to fully compress? Just a thought.:undecided
The springs are stiffer, but if you unload one side of the rear, and all the weight is on the other side because of a lumpy trail, it will certainly compress to the bump stop. Articulation in the extended position is controlled by the shock length alone. If you put in the longer BDS shocks (optional with their kit) or install the Tahoe/Avalanche shocks that are usually sold with that takeoff kit, then you get 2" more extended length. But seriously, articulation is only useful if you're on a very lumpy trail and need both tires to have traction because either you have no G80 or it's really steep and you forgot to air down. Airing down to 16-18 PSI will give you about double the traction per tire, so increased articulation isn't a goal worth spending a lot of money to attain. My favorite instructional video about steep lumpy trails where a locker is essential is this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24SwmSN0-bI

Oh and anyone ever think about building a prerunner TV. I think that would be bad.:yes:
One essential goal of a prerunner, which is typically a 2WD truck driven at high speed over a desert race course AHEAD of the competition team (thus the name PRE-runner), is to have massive lift and articulation in the front to soak up the desert whoopsies. Can't see the purpose of prerunning in a trailvoy, unless you spend $1000 on custom coilovers and much larger shocks for the front, since the articulation is lousy and can't be improved for any reasonable amount of $$

Where as the BDS lift sits on top of the strut itself.
The BDS front spacer kit replaces the top part of the OEM shock/spring mount, but its final position is essentially the same as the OEM top. It doesn't extend the resting length of the strut assembly by more than 1/4"-3/8". That's essentially the same function as the SMAXX inside-the-strut spacer. (1.25" thick - gives you 1.75" higher ride.) The SMAXX top mount spacer (0.5" thick - gives you 0.75" higher ride) is outside the strut, and I think it would work just fine with a BDS-modified strut.

The BDS spacer uses a third mounting bolt, in a pre-existing hole in the upper strut perch, which the SMAXX spacer doesn't have a matching hole for, so you'd have to drill a simple hole in the 1/2" aluminum spacer.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
The SMAXX top mount spacer (0.5" thick - gives you 0.75" higher ride) is outside the strut, and I think it would work just fine with a BDS-modified strut.

The BDS spacer uses a third mounting bolt, in a pre-existing hole in the upper strut perch, which the SMAXX spacer doesn't have a matching hole for, so you'd have to drill a simple hole in the 1/2" aluminum spacer.
The issue here is the upper ball joint. I wouldn't want to extend the extension length any further without fixing the ball joint resting angle. When I'm lifting the front wheels off the ground, that ball joint bushing looks mighty squeezed.

What would be ideal would be for a lift company to market new upper control arms to adjust the resting angle of the ball joint to the proper orientation. If BDS marketed new control arms + a 2.5" or 3" spacer, I believe it could work. Pretty sure the CVs would be ok at 3".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts