Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year some time, in my first attempt in my TB to not only parallel park, but on a STEEP decline at that, I ended up putting a nice gash into the sidewall of my rear passenger tire. It was at such an angle that I could see whatever the white layer is underneath that (I cannot find a cross section picture of a standard tire so I can finally tell what it is I'm looking at, links?).

When I found time later on that weekend, I just glued down the flap of the tire that was cut. Air was not leaking out, at least at a fast enough rate to be alarmed. I drove thousands of miles on it without so much as feeling any worries about the air pressure or a blow out.

One day last winter, it was -15F outside, which I guess was enough to compress the air inside and my tire was flat the next time I was out driving it. I filled it back up and drove carefully for the next few days, no problems.

I had my tires rotated and it ended up in the front passenger side. I think this has caused the tire to wear down faster as now I can hear noises coming from the tire while driving and there are some more cracks in the sidewall of the tire and it's leaked more air. I'm pretty sure this tire has had enough. It's warped in some places, has cracks in the sidewall in others, and still has that nasty gash right through the G in Goodyear.
Here are some options, but I don't know what's going to be the best?

1. I can get just that tire replaced with a new tire leaving the other 3 (which have seen about 20,000+ miles)
2. I can get this tire and the one on the opposite side (even tho it really doesn't need replaced)
3. I can get this tire and the opposite side tire replaced, have them take my current front driver side tire and just take the rubber from that and put it on the spare (but the spare doesn't look too damaged aside from some markings from being stored under the body...and a strange red sticker I've never seen on a tire before)
4. I can take the damaged tire to go get repaired if it's possible
5. (less likely but a man can dream can't he?) go out and get 4 new set of 20'' tires + rims :D

Sorry for being long winded, hope the details of what the tires have been through would help in decision making

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
276 Posts
#1 should work, if your only down a few /32 nds in tread wear vs new, there shouldn't be any concern.

Though #5 does sound good. :undecided

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
105 Posts
If there is close to new tread on the three good tires left then number 1 should work, but you have to get the same tire brand, tread pattern, and size thats on there right now, also it does not take much to throw off the low tire pressure monitor if one tire is spinning slower/ faster than the others. :m2:

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
It does not matter which option you pick, GET THAT TIRE OFF THE TRUCK.

You are asking for trouble and you have been looking for trouble driving around with that tire on your truck.

Now, here is my suggestion:

Like you, I hate to toss something that is still good, but tires should be changed in pairs (same axle).

How is the spare? If like mine, still new. Get a new tire to match the spare and use the still good front tire as the spare.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
If there is close to new tread on the three good tires left then number 1 should work, but you have to get the same tire brand, tread pattern, and size thats on there right now, also it does not take much to throw off the low tire pressure monitor if one tire is spinning slower/ faster than the others. :m2:
I don't believe I have TPMS on my TB LS, otherwise, on the trip home from Chicago, it would have definitely went off, that tire was low when I got it home. Is it possible to have the stabilitrac but not the TPMS? That might be a mod to do later on :undecided

Now, here is my suggestion:

Like you, I hate to toss something that is still good, but tires should be changed in pairs (same axle).

How is the spare? If like mine, still new. Get a new tire to match the spare and use the still good front tire as the spare.
The spare does not look like the same brand as the other four wheels. No white lettering or anything.
If I understand you correctly, I get a new tire and use the spare and the new tire and store the still good front tire as the spare?
Aesthetically, the spare looks a little dirty and the rim on it is VERY bland. It has some marks on the sidewall from being stored for so long, I don't know if that will affect performance. Plus it does have this red sticker on it, I don't know if that's suppose to mean "spare tire, only use as a spare, not a real replacement" kind of sticker, or if it's actually a patch on the tire.

The tires were (according to the dealership that sold me the truck) brand new when it was sold to me, so is 20k miles not considered much wear for the other good three tires? If so, I'll stick with option #1 and just get a new tire this weekend. Or I can take the good front tire, put it on the spare rim, and then buy two new tires for the front.

Man, decisions, decisions :laugh:

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
My suggestion of using the spare, is only if it is a full-size spare (same size as the other tires) and if it matches the tires on the truck.

You do not want 2 or 3 different manufacture's tires on the truck.

Now, is 20,000 miles, a large impact on tire wear?

That depends upon where you drive and how you drive.

I do a lot of city driving, 20,000 is 1/2 to 3/4 the life of my tires.

I'll suggest you need 2 new tires for the front; but here is the problem. Your gonna rotate them in a while and then you might have one new on the front and one old (same for the rear). And that's not good.

Yep, decisions, decisions :laugh:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
20,000 on mostly highway and country road, probably 1/4 the driving or less is city mileage.

RayVoy; you're gonna turn this from "need at least one, probably 2 tires" to "just get all four" :crazy:

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
183 Posts
Bare minimium, replace two tires. You have a 4X4, and if you have a different circumference from one tire to the rest, you will have binding when in 4X4. Keep the new tire in the drive line till they wear in a bit. Even better, take it to a tire shop and have them measure the tire depth of each tire, check the depth of the new tire and decide what you choose to do next. Either way, get the bad one off.:m2:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
13 Posts
I agree with RayVoy

Get that tire off of there. There is about 1 square foot of rubber from all 4 wheels touching the road at hwy speeds, thinking that one could blow out in a curve at 80 m/hr freaks me out. take out your or other family. (Not worth a $150 bucks)

Hate to throw out good stuff, sh*t happens, that tire is no good anymore, the cut in it changes the overall integrety, like a bridge missing one support.

Have the dept measured, if a new tire is what?? 14/32nds and you have at least 7, one new tire would not make a difference. If the 3 other tires are less than 7 or 5/32, there all close to being done.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to look around and see if the store down the road has the same tires i have now. I'll check to see if the tread is greater than 7/32. If it is, I'll just replace the one, if it's less, I'll work on getting both replaced (if one now, and one next payday).

Thanks for the suggestions! If you have any more thoughts about it, I'll be following this thread :)

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
48 Posts
For one, your spare is not the same size as the rest of your tires. Second, if you have a large gash in the sidewall that tire needs to be off. its for your safety. since you have 20,000 miles on the tires your best bet would be to replace all 4. at least two in the same size and try in the next few weeks to do the other 2. buying one is almost a waste of your money because the other three will reach the end of their life and then you still have the one. when buying tires your best bet is to do 4. although you said you glued it down that does not mean that air will not leak out. if its down to the cords in the sidewall then its very dangerous and you need it replaced immediately. also about the spare. spares age a lot faster than the tires on your vehicle. the oils that are put into the rubber when they are manufactured are pushed out into the rubber when driven on. with your spare tire just sitting it does not get the oils pushed out into in and becomes dry and brittle even after a few years. that's why it is not suggested to have your spare tire put onto your car in place of another tire. sorry about the long response. just trying to help

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess as more of an update, I'm getting one new tire tomorrow to replace the leaking/damaged/unsafe tire. The other three are just at or maybe a tiny more than 7/32.

I think about this time next year I'll have ran through the other three tires' lives and they will need replaced. I won't be in the middle of paying for a wedding by that time so I'll probably step up for four new sets of tires/rims. Now I just need to learn what all the sizes are and pick some new ones out

Thanks for all the help!:thx

·
Registered
2007 buick rainier
328 Posts
If you only knew how thin the sidewall of your tire is you would crap your drawers driving on that thing since last year. After removing see how easy it is to stick a pen knife thru it. Get it replaced ASAP.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I got a call from an autoshop that I mostly trust (he's still new to me but has a good rep), he is worried about some kind of transfer box wearing out faster due to the diameter of the other tires compared with the new one (or two new ones, i havent decided yet) so i'm going to go with 4 new tires then.

I'm getting my tire(s?) replaced today so you all can breath a little easier, since I'm still learning about cars and all; I just want to know if he's jerkin' my chain with this transfer box stuff wearing out faster due to tire diameter. He says he knew someone with a AWD TB that ran into the same issue after replacing a single tire :(, a quick search on google shows that he might not be messing with me after all...

EDIT: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Wrangler+ST reviews at the bottom don't show much love for Wrangler ST's either. I'm almost thinking if I should finally try out a new size/type of tire, but I'm still new enough at this that I don't know what tires will fit on my factory rims and still look nice (I don't think the 20 or 22 rims fit me as a person :p)

EDIT2: Looks like I'm getting 4 Uniroyal Laredo AWR tires. I think I heard him say he was going to try for Outlined White (which I would prefer for some color on my black TB) but I'm not seeing anything but black tires on tirerack.com, the rating people gave these are above average, but I've read a lot more good than bad when reading the reviews. Hope I made a decent purchase, I would have got Continental CrossContact LX but they only had 1 tire left. Maybe next time...

·
Registered
997 Posts
It was good advice.

As others have said, different diameters create undue wear on all your 4x4 drivetrain.

Even on two-wheel-drive vehicles, it can cause undue wear on the differential because if two different diameters are on either side of the rear axle, the inner gears of the differential, which are normally stationary except when going around a corner, now turn constantly.

Now, whether that causes undue wear and harm or is an old wives tale, I would leave that to our esteemed Roadie to weigh in here ...

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
48 Posts
I got a call from an autoshop that I mostly trust (he's still new to me but has a good rep), he is worried about some kind of transfer box wearing out faster due to the diameter of the other tires compared with the new one (or two new ones, i havent decided yet) so i'm going to go with 4 new tires then.

I'm getting my tire(s?) replaced today so you all can breath a little easier, since I'm still learning about cars and all; I just want to know if he's jerkin' my chain with this transfer box stuff wearing out faster due to tire diameter. He says he knew someone with a AWD TB that ran into the same issue after replacing a single tire :(, a quick search on google shows that he might not be messing with me after all...

EDIT: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Wrangler+ST reviews at the bottom don't show much love for Wrangler ST's either. I'm almost thinking if I should finally try out a new size/type of tire, but I'm still new enough at this that I don't know what tires will fit on my factory rims and still look nice (I don't think the 20 or 22 rims fit me as a person :p)

EDIT2: Looks like I'm getting 4 Uniroyal Laredo AWR tires. I think I heard him say he was going to try for Outlined White (which I would prefer for some color on my black TB) but I'm not seeing anything but black tires on tirerack.com, the rating people gave these are above average, but I've read a lot more good than bad when reading the reviews. Hope I made a decent purchase, I would have got Continental CrossContact LX but they only had 1 tire left. Maybe next time...
he is correct about the AWD TB. if you have different sizes or even the same tire but one brand new and the other with less tread it will cause damage to the AWD system. best bet is 4 new tires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Glad to hear you got new tires, Laredo is a good tire, you should be happy with them.:thumbsup:

Did you think of keeping at least 2 of the old ones? If you have room to keep them, they could bail you out down the road if something like this happens again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts