Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks New to the forums so forgive me if this is posted in the wrong one. I have an 04 Trailblazer EXT LT 4x4 with the I6 and 177,000 miles. The problem I'm having progressively got worse over a period of a couple days after 2 trips of about 1400 miles total. I noticed at first while accelerating above 40mph that the vehicle didn't seem to have the spunk that it had. Almost seemed as though it was using too high of a gear; kind of like skipping second and going into third. Although the transmission seems fine. A few days after that when I accelerate above 40mph it seems to have a lot of hesitation and takes some time to achieve speed. If i give it more gas it has a growling noise from the engine, especially on hills. While driving i feel intermittent bursts of power. Slight, but noticeable. All is fine while in park or up to 30mph. Idles wonderfully. I replaced the VVT and the camshaft position sensor, also reset the computer for relearn. Still nothing. I had the code P0014, waiting for it to come back on after relearn. I replaced 1 and 5 ignition coils last winter due to a random misfire and cleaned throttle body while replacing them and the plugs. Was fine till now. Also, my Trailblazer conforms to emission standards to be sold in California so please tell me it could be something other than the cat. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

·
Registered
2006 saab 9_7x
450 Posts
Sure sounds like a CAT problem. What exactly do you mean by conforming to CA emissions? Have you had a back pressure test done?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure sounds like a CAT problem. What exactly do you mean by conforming to CA emissions? Have you had a back pressure test done?
Unfortunately since January I believe, a garage cant put just any CAT into a vehicle if its equipped with one that conforms to CA emissions. Says on the sticker if it is or not. A difference of a couple thousand bucks or more. Although, says nothing about a backyard mechanic doing it. As for the back pressure test, I have not. A friend of mine scanned it and said it is reading some back pressure but he isn't convinced its the CAT. Can a bad O2 sensor give the same symptoms?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,577 Posts
An easy way to check for a clogged cat is to remove the O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold and take it for a test drive. If acceleration is better, you have clogged cat.

If the truck is registered in NYS, what does it matter about CA emissions compliance?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
An easy way to check for a clogged cat is to remove the O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold and take it for a test drive. If acceleration is better, you have clogged cat.

If the truck is registered in NYS, what does it matter about CA emissions compliance?
I'll try that. I feel a bit ignorant now that you say something so obvious. Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. As far as the CA emissions compliance, I have had two reputable garages (if that's not an oxymoron) in my area now say that as of the first of the year (2015), any vehicle that is fit for sale in CA due to the emissions standard must be repaired as such. IE, Cat converter; That conforms to the CA emissions if manufactured as such. I said the same thing, why if i live in NY? On the emissions sticker it will say if the vehicle is suitable for sale in CA (laymen terms) or if it just complies with Federal requirements. Not to offend anyone, but I knew there was something odd with that State. I had to look into it myself. It made no sense if I lived in NY and never planned on going to CA (which I don't). It may be a NY law, although I doubt it. It's a money game as I'm sure your familiar with. I'll try to find the federal statue and post it here.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
9 Posts
Sounds like a bad cat. Here in Texas, I use http://franksupplycompany.com/ for my catalytic converters. They have California Compliant converters for just a few dollars more than 49 state converters. I'm sure that there are supply houses in NY that have access to the same products. Most of my converters are manufactured by Magnaflow or Walker. Check with your local muffler shop.

I'm sure if you were to call Frank Supply, they'd drop ship one to you in NY that you could take to the muffler shop and have welded in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, everything pointed to a bad CAT. However, after I cut it out I took a short trip down the road. Seems to still have lack of acceleration and a growling noise when i try to give it gas over 30 or up a hill. Engine idles fine and revs fine while in park. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
1 Posts
Did you find out what was wrong? I'm having trouble with mine and after cutting a hole in the exhaust just before the cat it worked ok for a bit, but not its sputtering bad and has lost a lot of power. Worst of all it now sounds like a derby car. Please update if you found anything out about your problem. I'm thinking it might be the fuel pump, but those aren't exactly cheap so just getting one and changing it out without really knowing or having a good idea that that is what the problem is doesn't sound too appealing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts