Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im in the process of building my own enclosure, but I figured I should decide on a type/size of sub before I continue. This is going to be my first sub-system in any vehicle for me, so Im not trying to stop any shows or anything, just enough to make me happy, and add a little bass. I just started looking at some subs, and had myself set on spending maybe 150 per, and then figure out the amp after I have them... I need to get some suggestions based on my price range and needs. I have the stock bose system in my truck now, and the aftermarket HU will not be far behind these subs.

What do you guys think of the RF or Pioneer Slim mount subs? Worth the money, or should I just get a regular depth sub that will perform the same or better?

Here is a look:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Subwoofers/Shallow/TS-SW1241D

Would it be worth going over the original 150 per in order to get something like this? Any and all feedback is welcome.

Gracias, and Happy Cinco de Mayo!

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
111 Posts
Are you planning something in particular that necessitates a slim mount sub? In general, unless you have to use one, you're better off with a regular depth sub. Slims have made a lot of progress and are pretty good now, but I wouldn't specifically seek them out if you can make a regular sub work.

I have a single RE Audio SE 10" (which cost a little under $150) in my TB in a sealed box powered by an Alpine 500w mono amp (MRP-M500 if I accurately recall the model off the top of my head) which is more than enough for me.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i hadn't planned on anything that would require a shallow mount, though it would be cool to retain some cargo space. No big deal, I was just hoping to get some feedback on some good subs, I'll have to check the ones you have out for sure.

anyone else?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
111 Posts
The RE sub I'm using only requires something like .65 cf of air space in a sealed box and a 6.5" mounting depth, so a slim sub would only save you a couple inches of cargo space.

I would adamantly recommend RE's products and their sister company, US Amps. Good stuff for reasonable prices. I've had decent luck with MTX subs, Rockford subs, JL Audio subs. Now that I'm a little older and care less about bragging about cone area and more about just good sound that complements the music, I would go with either JL 10W3 or RE SE10. They're both good, but the RE has a higher RMS by 100w and is a few bucks cheaper.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
generally thin subs are more expensive, dont get as loud on the same amount of power, nor are they as accurate. though there are some good ones out there.

the JL w5 gets great reviews, minus the price and depends on the application. ive seen a lot of installs with the pioneer thin subs too. but generally for the trailvoy i dont see a lot of thin subs. there is enfough room back there for a single 10 or 12 in a sealed or ported box. i have a single 10 ported, and have plenty of room, as well as a few other people on this site, check out the sticky about "pics of your install".

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
497 Posts
There's lots of room back there. This box is approximately 1.5 cubic feet, and I still have plenty of cargo room, and my seats fold up/down without issues.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,251 Posts
Only use shallows if that's what you need to use, when mounting under seats, in doors or behind a 3rd row, other than that go with the real deal for much better sound.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess the title of the post was misleading, I was considering those slim subs for sh*ts and giggles, but was really looking for suggestions on some nice affordable subs, slim or not. I was looking at the RE website, and they dont have any authorized dealers here in MI...unless I was searching incorrectly.

I like the suggestions from MarcRocks, any others?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
150, possibly more if the sub is worth it, no more than 200 for sure.

and power is up for graps as well, i'll get any amp, capacitor, or do whatever else is necessary to properly power them.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
497 Posts
Don't bother with a capacitor. It's an extra load on your electrical system without actually helping anything.

There's a good selection of subs available for $150-200. I got my JL13W1v2-4 for around $125 from an authorized dealer that was going out of business. Normally I think it retails around $175. RE makes some great subs, as well. There is also elemental designs -- my buddy had a great experience, but I've heard some horror stories, too.... That being said, I'd be comfortable with one of their subs.

If I had to buy again, I'd definitely consider another JL (I've owned 3, and been fully satisfied with each), but I'd probably bump up to a W3 or higher.... Or if I wanted to buy online, I'd go RE.

But the previous person was correct -- you want to figure out what budget you have for an AMP so you can get something that matches, well.

I'd think you'll want about 500 watts for a $150-200 sub. But that's just me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts