Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good to be here fellas! I did some searching but waaay too many things came up on here, so my apologies if this has been addressed already.Kinda lengthy but here it goes... The other day, my car(2002 Trailblazer LS) was shaking badly while at a stop and then hesitated while pushing the gas, then eventually the "service engine soon" light came on. So I took it in and got it serviced, and the computer read it was a misfire problem and needed a tune up. So I got the service done and they changed the plugs, distributor cap and the the wires etc and apparently my 5th cylinder coil was dead so that was done as well, and the timing and idle was adjusted as necessary (at least according to the paperwork). Anyway, I do notice smoother run and the engine light is no longer on, however, I still do feel some shaking while idling, the car isnt stalling though and it isnt major, but enough to see the anntena wiggling a tad. I was wondering if maybe it has to do with the throttle body and if it might need cleaning. The car is at about 101,700 miles and I dont think the previous owner did. any suggestions? The second problem is since i picked the car up, I was hearing some kind of clicking coming from my door panels (maybe some kind of relay?) and my master controls for the windows were acting real sluggish. I immediatly called the shop and they insisted nothing was touched, and that maybe my master controls were going out(made me wonder a bit :hopeless) but eventually they worked fine again after a few minutes. That same night all my dash lights came on for a quick second and I heard the clicking again and sluggish controls, but the problem seemed to have fixed itself and everything is working fine now, however Im worried it might trigger again. Is it possible some kind of wiring was knocked loose during the tune up and where should I check if so, maybe a loose ground?..I cant afford to keep taking the car in(and im kinda weary about the shop now:worried:)....anyway thanks for reading and any help in advance!

tom

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
The I6 does not have a distributor or wires. If they did actually put that on your bill, they owe you. At 100k miles you probably needed new plugs, a t-body cleaning, and a bottle of Techron or Seafoam to clean the injectors. Also read the owners manual for the other things needed at 100k.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
997 Posts
If that shop actually told you they replaced the distributor cap and the plug wires, they probably screwed up something else (as well as lying to you.)

Here is what you can do. (We'll start off on the easiest stuff first!)

First thing is to get your invoice and find out if they really did rip you off or not. (The I6 engine has a coil connected directly to the spark plug for each cylinder and there is no distributor or plug wires.)

The second thing you should do is pull one spark plug and see if: #1 they actually DID change them, and #2 what they put in. If it is ANYTHING other than an AC Delco iridium 41-103 plug, then it is or will be causing you misfire problems.

The third thing is to disconnect the battery, clean your throttle body according to the instructions here on this site, make sure all the corrosion is cleaned off all battery cable connections and then make sure the connections are tight. It could be an ignition switch problem, and may be just coincidental, but it could also be somebody not tightening a battery cable enough. (That battery cover tends to get in the way and makes it hard to be sure the cables are on properly when you are in a hurry.)

The fourth thing you do is come back in here and report back your findings.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
hey guys, thanks so much for the help so far!...going over the paperwork again, its says..."TUNE UP"- replaced spark plugs , compression check, adjust timing and idle speed if necessary and inspect and/or replace distributor cap, rotor and spark wires "if applicable"...I guess in a frenzy I overlooked the the "if" part?:duh: its still a confusing way to list it though...since I dont see the throttle body was cleaned, I can assume it was never done, so that could be the problem and I will also check the plugs to see if anything was screwed up as well. And I will check the battery connections, hopefully all that will solve the problem,and hopefully it wont be a major electrical issue...

tom

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
997 Posts
Keep at it.

It is not the "tune up and replace if needed ..." part that will show if you have been taken advantage of; it will be whether they actually charged you for parts they didn't use or require. It is quite common for garages to charge for a generic tune up, and record a generic phrase about what MAY be needed. It would be fraud to actually CHARGE you for those parts though.

Every part they replaced should be listed on your invoice.

Let us know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its some kind of vibration, not major but it is noticeable, like i said before, enough to see the antenna wiggle a tad while idle but no stalling and not a skipping or missing thing like it was previously prior to the tune up....I thought possibly the mounts also...Im going to clean the throttle body tomorrow hopefully that solves the problem, I will keep you guys posted! I called the shop also and got a revised invoice, the plugs were changed and I checked them and everything is good, so we will see. thanks guys, you are great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts