Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had Sirius as a add on in my last two vehicles with the Sirius magnetic antenna. In both vehicles when approaching a major city I loose reception. Once in the city the reception comes back. It doesn't matter what my direction of approach to the city is, I have had this happen in a variety of directions in seemingly every major city I have been in in the country. Sirius claims they have terrestrial repeaters in major metropolitan areas however there is no way to tell whether your reception is coming from the sky or the repeater. Some of the recent cities I have had problems include: Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Indianapolis, Chicago, Louisville, Nashville. The only thing I see in common is high rise buildings, but this isn't in the city I have the problem. It's usually 5-10 miles out of the downtown area. And again the approach doesn't seem to matter. east.west. north or south. Has anyone else experienced this? Can anyone shed some light on this? I have searched the web several times for a answer.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
497 Posts
I have had Sirius as a add on in my last two vehicles with the Sirius magnetic antenna. In both vehicles when approaching a major city I loose reception. Once in the city the reception comes back. It doesn't matter what my direction of approach to the city is, I have had this happen in a variety of directions in seemingly every major city I have been in in the country. Sirius claims they have terrestrial repeaters in major metropolitan areas however there is no way to tell whether your reception is coming from the sky or the repeater. Some of the recent cities I have had problems include: Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Indianapolis, Chicago, Louisville, Nashville. The only thing I see in common is high rise buildings, but this isn't in the city I have the problem. It's usually 5-10 miles out of the downtown area. And again the approach doesn't seem to matter. east.west. north or south. Has anyone else experienced this? Can anyone shed some light on this? I have searched the web several times for a answer.
Your radio doesn't show where it's getting it's signal from? My RoadyXT shows signal levels for both sat and ter.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No only a signal strength it doesn't specify where its from. Isn't A RoadyXT a XM radio? I never had this issue with XM

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
497 Posts
No only a signal strength it doesn't specify where its from. Isn't A RoadyXT a XM radio? I never had this issue with XM
yes it is XM. I don't have any sirius-specific info. I was just surprised to read that the sirius radios didn't have that feature.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
129 Posts
Which Sirius radio do you have? Or is it built in? Also, are you using the same antenna on all 3 vehicles?

ct_mike

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right now I have a Sportster with a magnetic antenna. I had a different radio with a different magnetic antenna and the same issue.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
129 Posts
Right now I have a Sportster with a magnetic antenna. I had a different radio with a different magnetic antenna and the same issue.
That makes troubleshooting a little easier. I believe the Sportster has the same menu structure as the Starmate receivers. If you go into the menu there should be a choice for signal strength. If you turn that option on you can see the strength of the satellite and terrestrial signals.

I am not totally sure, but I believe the radio picks whichever signal it thinks is stronger and uses only that signal. I have seen times when both signals are weak, the radio just drops out. It is not usually a long drop out, less than a mile at highway speed.

One other thought, are there a lot of trees or overpasses on the routes you take? Trees are the killers of my satellite signal, but the terrestrial signal gets through fine, if I am close enough to the tower. You may just be in a unique spot when it comes to the two signals on your entrance into these cities. Or you got a couple of bum antennas, especially if they are the little micro antennas. Have heard not great things about the reliability of those, although mine is doing fine.

Hope some of this helps.
ct_mike

Edit: Another thought; you could always try XM, as they have the same programming with different satellites. Might not have the same issues.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can see signal strength on mine but it doesnt tell me where the signal is coming from ie. repeater or sky. This is a very consistant problem that happens on the approach to every major city and will last several minutes or longer. No tree or overpass issues. It usually happens when I can start to see the city skyline. Again, direction of travel doesn't change things and this is not in the downtown area with tall buildings. Only on approach to the downtown area. Its like a magical barrier that cuts the signal....STRANGE!
.I had XM, I switched when the lost NASCAR. I didn't have this issue. Unfortunately I have a very good rate locked in and switching would be costly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts