Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both mirrors are making strange adjustments when I back up after an ignition-off stop and restart. The driver's side tilts up so I have a good view of the horizon and little else. The passenger side turns in so I have a good view of my side doors. Both go to the same wrong positions each and every time. I'm surprised my mirror knob hasn't worn out from all my adjustments. Any ideas?

· Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
550 Posts
Have you turned the memory off in the DIC? Also, parking assist should be off too. If they are both off and they continue to wander you will need to take them to the dealer and have them re-flash the control module. Mine had similar problems after turning off drivers memory, and curb side assist. Dealer reflashed mod and no problems now. HTH c good

· Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,214 Posts
Driver or Passenger Assist sets each mirror for 'Parking Assist', which is supposed to aim the mirror at the rear tire to make parking easier. (You can see the line and/or curb when backing up). There are two possible issues, the first being the door modules need updating. This fixes 70% of the problems with the automatic mirrors, having an '02 I went through hell with mine. (They fixed the firmware during the '03 model year). - BTW: You can try setting/re-learning the position the mirror goes to in reverse, there's a procedure for setting them.

Now, if they turn UP like the driver side is doing, it usually indicates either a failed door module or a bad actuator assembly. Over time the older firmware will result in the actuators being damaged or failing, however 9 times out of 10, the mirror pointing up is a bad door module. (Bad actuators just loose the ability to return to their pre-set position and usually don't cause the mirror to point up instead of down in reverse).

· Premium Member
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks ylab. Are the door control modules easy to find and install, and once installed, will I need to have them programmed or flashed buy a dealer? Thanks again for your help. On the surface, this looks a bit out of my league to repair.

· Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
14 Posts
I just purchased a '03 and my driver side mirror keeps doing that crap. I don't have a manual for the car so I have no idea how to reset any of the above mentioned ideas, or how to even tell if or what is set. So, could someone please explain in detail how to check and how to reset the mirrors?

· Northwest Chapter
11,917 Posts
Go into the DIC using the top button on the right hand DIC controls on the steering wheel. It will look like a list and have the enter/arrow button below it. Keep pressing it until you come to curb assist and turn it off using the arrow button. That should keep the mirrors from wandering.

· Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
14 Posts
I was wondering what the hell those buttons down there were for. Would you also happen to know what the button that has the road with the mountains does? Or the button with the gas pump on it.

· Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,334 Posts
Not trying to hijack, but Dano_LTZ, if you go in to the Resources section here
on Trailvoy, there are Owner's Manuals available there that you can look at or download.
Might give you some info that you can print out and take out to your truck, so you can
try the reset/learn procedures without having to be tethered to the computer... ;)

The processes haven't changed all that much over the 2002 - 2006 model years, so
if the file is unavailable for your year, you can probably get by with another year for
reference. Every once in awhile, the files won't open correctly...

EDIT: Just checked it...the manual for your year opens fine, and you can most likely
find the info you need starting on page 3-46.

Good Luck!

Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.