Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i was just wondering i have a white 02 tb and i want to take the side moldings off but in afraid that if i take them off it will leave marks any opinions.

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
I've been contemplating painting mine, or taking them off. There are a lot of threads on removing the side moldings, and badging too, different techniques from dental floss, to fishing line, to heat guns, to chemicals to loosen the adhesive. I suggest using the advance search option, as the regular one doesn't tend to be as helpful. Good luck!

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
4,074 Posts
Screw the dental floss that is crap IMO...hehehe...heat it up via heatgun...I prefer a blowdryer and pull it off! Yes...it is hard...but it will budge....then goo gone the sticky and WD40 the nasty color marks there (esp on white). Leave the WD40 sit for a few and use a scotchbrite non-scratch sponge with a bit of dawn (worked for me). Wash, claybar, wax=babybutt smooth! You'll notice I can't...well don't want to remove my molding....as it is a North Face and goes all the way around. But I could if I wanted too....not gonna happen, but I could....

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,082 Posts
I would have to go for it. Mine is black and I still took the chance. Worst case u would have to put them back on. Just try one door see how it looks.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
24 Posts
No Molding

On Side molding removal,IV'e taken off lots od molding on my past rides,and a Hair drier is the trick,*REMEMBER* unless you change your parking lot parking habits, your gonna have Door Dings in replacement of molding. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,105 Posts
It definitely makes a difference. I love it. Don't be shocked when you find how dirty it is under the moldings, though.

Just an idea of what a White Trailblazer looks like demolded....

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
10 Posts
fishing line

I tried dental floss and didnt get nowhere but then i used fishing line and had the whole molding off in about 5 min. It has to be hot out too. About 95

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
257 Posts
It was a November when I did mine and was kind of chilly. Took some work, but googone helps as does WD40. Started with the dental floss on the Chevy nameplate on the tail gait, but it actually cut into the paint a bit and had to work on buffing those marks out, which is why I changed to less abrasive fishing line on the doors. After cleaning, clay bar, and wax it looks spectacular.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
42 Posts
My $.02

Dental floss does NOT work at all..dont waste your time. Fishing line is the way to go. A couple things to remember, there IS alot of dirt behind the molding, whether you believe it or not. If you have a dark vehicle you can scratch the car up with fishing line if not careful as the fishing line and sand can start to scratch. Always pull towards you while using a "sawing" motion. It is quick and easy.

If you have an auto paint store close by, grab an "eraser wheel" they are about $12 and attach to a cordless drill. They make quick work of the adhesive left behind and wont damage the paint

In this video I believe his drill needs to be sped up, but you get the idea...
http://youtu.be/HHKN5_UfDik

If you decide to use "goo gone" or another adhesive remover...make a sandwich as it will take you the better part of a day to remove it all unless its 90 degrees outside

·
Registered
2004 gmc trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
To those with the glue problem: heat it up with a hairdryer, basically a citrus degreaser among other things, it should take the residue off no problem.
or Palmolive original is what many pro detaliers use to get really nasty crap off. Only problem is that it will remove any wax on the paint so be ware.
But if the problem still exists then you should must have to visit a good and reputable auto body shop . It should be very inexpensive too.

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_sle
4 Posts
Im doing this to my envoy as soon as it gets warm out. Cant wait. My brother details cars for a living so ill just have him remove any glue left behind and buff it afterwards.:thx

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
27 Posts
Show me a body shop that isn't expensive, dickhead. And sonnys collision sucks.
I guess you aren't aware the Trailvoy runs "VigLink," which automatically makes links out of certain keywords in peoples' posts. :crackup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts