Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And that is exactly what it is.
I demolded about 3 weeks ago. Everything went fine untill I reached the front passenger side. All the other molding pieces were attached with the gray doublestick that came off no problem. The front passenger side looks like it was removed then reinstalled (most likely from body damage from the previous owner). The doublestick that was used was a black foam tape that has stuck and does not want to unstick. I have tried GooGone and its stronger brother GoofOff and a heat gun, plastic scrapers, razor blades, swearing, threats, everything other than a blowtorch and a grinder.
In searching the forum, every one has said that it was easy and a simple fix but this has become more of a headache....
any suggestions?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,292 Posts
:undecided...Wd40 or HOT water, kinda sounds to me like your screwed tho.GL

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
826 Posts
Never use cheap tape or duck tape on paint ,it etches in the pant,down in the clear coat ,hopfuly thats not what they did, but u can try light buffing,dont go thrugh clearcoat,thats probably urethane clear on that so u can try a little enamel reduser on it, try some where u dont see to make sure it wont hurt the paint first,and dont use laqure thiner it will take the paint all off. I hope somthing helps, i had this happend a lot

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,228 Posts
might try the wd-40 it wont hurt anything even if you let it sit over night it works great for 100's of other things even as a fish attractent lol

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
286 Posts
if u used a plastic scraper and a razor you already have scratched the paint!
You wont see it till you are done!!

nail polish remover?
since the paint is already scratched, the plastic abrasive sponge you use to wash dishes and some dish liquid maybe! with hot water!

maybe they used epoxy hence why the hard time!

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_denali
93 Posts
And that is exactly what it is.
I demolded about 3 weeks ago. Everything went fine untill I reached the front passenger side. All the other molding pieces were attached with the gray doublestick that came off no problem. The front passenger side looks like it was removed then reinstalled (most likely from body damage from the previous owner). The doublestick that was used was a black foam tape that has stuck and does not want to unstick. I have tried GooGone and its stronger brother GoofOff and a heat gun, plastic scrapers, razor blades, swearing, threats, everything other than a blowtorch and a grinder.
In searching the forum, every one has said that it was easy and a simple fix but this has become more of a headache....
any suggestions?
Only resurrecting this thread as I pulled off my driver's side moldings last night and ran into the same foam tape. I've tried Goo Gone and it does dissolve it a little, but holy hell this stuff is nasty!! I scrubbed on it for over an hour and nearly got the rear door done. Can still see some tape lines, but I think it'll have to be clay-barred or buffed out. This is NOT your standard doulbe-sided tape....

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That GooGone Extreme was good stuff. Like I said, It kinda smelled like carb spray but didn't take the clearcoat off...and it ate through that crap that had chemicly bonded and become one with my door...

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Only resurrecting this thread as I pulled off my driver's side moldings last night and ran into the same foam tape. I've tried Goo Gone and it does dissolve it a little, but holy hell this stuff is nasty!! I scrubbed on it for over an hour and nearly got the rear door done. Can still see some tape lines, but I think it'll have to be clay-barred or buffed out. This is NOT your standard doulbe-sided tape....
Hit it with a hairdryer or better yet a heat gun. Once its hot its a lot easier to remove, I pulled the badges off my SS without either during the summer when it was 80F+ and I just left it in the sun for a few hours while I was working in the garage. Grabbed some fishing line, cut em off, hit with goo gone and done.

If you still cant get it, hit it with polish. My 02 has black lines on the bottom where they used to be because I havent hit it with polish yet.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_denali
93 Posts
Hit it with a hairdryer or better yet a heat gun. Once its hot its a lot easier to remove, I pulled the badges off my SS without either during the summer when it was 80F+ and I just left it in the sun for a few hours while I was working in the garage. Grabbed some fishing line, cut em off, hit with goo gone and done.

If you still cant get it, hit it with polish. My 02 has black lines on the bottom where they used to be because I havent hit it with polish yet.
I finally managed to get the crud off, but I have some lines and a bit of hazing around the edges. Everything shows on the Carbon Black Metallic... :ugh: I'll probably need to buff and polish the door panels. :bonk:

This was the stuff I used to get the crud off... :dielaugh: Oops!, made by Goo Gone, stronger formula, smelled like paint thinner almost, but didn't hurt the paint.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts