Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '04 TB has 35,000 miles on it. One of the things I did this past weekend is put in a new thermostat, upper and lower hoses, and GREEN coolant. (50
/50 with distilled water.)

Should I pull my lower radiator hose and replace with 50/50 DexCool? I thought I read somewhere this would be okay but the more I read I'm not sure. I used Prestone Extended Life/All Makes/All Models...add to any color antifreeze. Reading the label it also says "Extended protection to all engine cooling system metals including aluminum."

I have no problems with the added expense of refilling with DexCool. Should I leave what I have in or change it to DexCool?

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Reading the label it also says "Extended protection to all engine cooling system metals including aluminum."

I have no problems with the added expense of refilling with DexCool. Should I leave what I have in or change it to DexCool?
Ya know, I'm going to respectfully disagree with my learned colleagues :raspberry.
I think the green product is ok to use.

I'm not sure about the length of time to leave it in the system, but while it's fresh, it should be ok.

BTW, 50/50 is a good mixture, but 70/30 is superior.

Edit: I just checked the Prestone site. That sucker is good for 5 years. I say leave it in there.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
Ya know, I'm going to respectfully disagree with my learned colleagues :raspberry.
I think the green product is ok to use.

I'm not sure about the length of time to leave it in the system, but while it's fresh, it should be ok.

BTW, 50/50 is a good mixture, but 70/30 is superior.

Edit: I just checked the Prestone site. That sucker is good for 5 years. I say leave it in there.
Yep... If you used the "all makes, all models" stuff, it's fine... The big reason the older green stuff was a no-no was because of the silicates suspended in it, that would eat the gaskets and seals (and aluminum) in the engines designed for DexCool...

FWIW, my dad's been running the green stuff in his '00 Silverado since 2002 with no issues...

Look at it this way... If by some miracle, the Prestone stuff does ruin your engine, it's a slam-dunk court case (that hasn't been taken to court yet, in the 8 years or so that stuff has been out), since they specifically say it's good in DexCool engines...

The issue is, a lot of people have carry-over horror stories of mixing the 2, from when all of the green coolant (except Honda's) had silicates in it, 10+ years ago...

ETA: If you're talking about 70% coolant and 30% water, that's only superior in Canada, where you sometimes need the extra anti-freeze properties... In Texas, where he is, 50/50 or more water is better, as water has a higher specific heat than coolant, and cools the engine better...

Mike

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
26 Posts
I know the percentages could vary, but I believe the last time I looked at the 2 different jugs of prestone (green ext life vs. dex cool), the ingredients listed were the same. Could they be the same, just different color?

david

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
90 Posts
Yep... If you used the "all makes, all models" stuff, it's fine... The big reason the older green stuff was a no-no was because of the silicates suspended in it, that would eat the gaskets and seals (and aluminum) in the engines designed for DexCool...

i disagree with this. I have been tearing engines down for years and the worst one is dex cool yeah its supose to last longer but u need to be flushing it anyways.dex cool eats at aluminum and gaskets like no other the first thing i did was dump the dex and use old green. thats why chevys are known for intakes leaking.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
705 Posts
I also disagree with some folks, I would switch to Prestone Complete, (long life green stuff for all cars, mixes was everything) I have seen WAY to many idiot car shops that top off the fluids for you and put the wrong stuff in. Mix the wrong stuff with dexcool, it turns to a a thick solid gel, like jello, and stops flowing completely. I switched my last car to prestone Complete, and the day this one is due to be flushed, the dexcool is gone in the TB too.

·
3,700 Posts
i disagree with this. I have been tearing engines down for years and the worst one is dex cool yeah its supose to last longer but u need to be flushing it anyways.dex cool eats at aluminum and gaskets like no other the first thing i did was dump the dex and use old green. thats why chevys are known for intakes leaking.
No coolant, itself, eats aluminum... It's the suspended silicates in the older green coolant that eat aluminum... This is why nobody uses silicate coolant any more... because everybody uses aluminum radiators and engines, these days, and the constant sand-blasting from the coolant is really bad on it.

Chevy intakes leak for 2 reasons...
1. Not enough gasket area, and dielectric corrosion between different metals, seperated by a gasket.
2. gasket material. The gasket material they were using did not work well in the long term with Dex... You'll notice that the GM service parts for the gaskets are different now, than they were...

FWIW, my LIM needed replaced on my 3.1 Lumina, and it had never had Dex in it, and was factory fill with green stuff in '92...

Mike

·
3,700 Posts
I also disagree with some folks, I would switch to Prestone Complete, (long life green stuff for all cars, mixes was everything) I have seen WAY to many idiot car shops that top off the fluids for you and put the wrong stuff in. Mix the wrong stuff with dexcool, it turns to a a thick solid gel, like jello, and stops flowing completely. I switched my last car to prestone Complete, and the day this one is due to be flushed, the dexcool is gone in the TB too.
Again, this is not an isue with the "all makes / all models" stuff... This WAS an issue with the silicate green stuff, though...

Mike

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Mike, :iagree:with everything you said (I don't think the old green can be bought any more), except:

ETA: If you're talking about 70% coolant and 30% water, that's only superior in Canada, where you sometimes need the extra anti-freeze properties... In Texas, where he is, 50/50 or more water is better, as water has a higher specific heat than coolant, and cools the engine better...

Mike
The 70/30 mix protects better at higher temps as well. When I say protects better, I'm talking about the it's ability to handle higher heat without breaking down.
I don't know about the ability to transfer heat. That's an interesting topic,
I'm curious about this, will be roaming around the web looking at it :undecided

·
3,700 Posts
Mike, :iagree:with everything you said (I don't think the old green can be bought any more), except:

The 70/30 mix protects better at higher temps as well. When I say protects better, I'm talking about the it's ability to handle higher heat without breaking down.
I don't know about the ability to transfer heat. That's an interesting topic,
I'm curious about this, will be roaming around the web looking at it :undecided

You can still get the silicate stuff, but not at just any regular store... IIRC, They call it the "Heavy Duty" line, and it's used for big trucks and such...

running 70:30 is kind-of a mixed bag... It raises the boiling point a bit, but it also doesn't cool as well, because of the lower specific head of the coolant, compared to the water... It's basically a good thing in colder climates, that may or may not help in warmer climates...

Mike

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
No coolant, itself, eats aluminum... It's the suspended silicates in the older green coolant that eat aluminum... This is why nobody uses silicate coolant any more... because everybody uses aluminum radiators and engines, these days, and the constant sand-blasting from the coolant is really bad on it.

Chevy intakes leak for 2 reasons...
1. Not enough gasket area, and dielectric corrosion between different metals, seperated by a gasket.
2. gasket material. The gasket material they were using did not work well in the long term with Dex... You'll notice that the GM service parts for the gaskets are different now, than they were...

FWIW, my LIM needed replaced on my 3.1 Lumina, and it had never had Dex in it, and was factory fill with green stuff in '92...

Mike
running 70:30 is kind-of a mixed bag... It raises the boiling point a bit, but it also doesn't cool as well, because of the lower specific head of the coolant, compared to the water... It's basically a good thing in colder climates, that may or may not help in warmer climates...

Mike
:iagree: 100 percent.

Prestone pretty much agrees with both of you - in that they say:

"We recommend that you use between a 50% and 70% concentration of antifreeze. At least 50% is necessary to give the adequate amount of corrosion protection, as well as freeze/boilover protection. However, we do not recommend more than 70% antifreeze. This would cause restriction of the heat transfer capabilities, corrosion protection, and freeze protection."

http://www.prestone.com/carcare/faq.php#q3

I have often heard of people who live in hot areas going to a 40/60 percent mix. For the most part you rarely ever get anywhere close to the boiling point of a 50/50 mixture.

The owner's manual for one of my other vehicles (non GM) states if you live in cold climate you can increase the antifreeze percentage to 60 and if you live in hot climate, decrease it to 40 percent - but "NEVER" below 40 percent or above 60 percent.

To answer the o/p I had the Dexcool in my TB for 4 1/2 years or roughly 50K miles. When I replaced my thermostat, the coolant looked very good coming out and the engine, radiator and all parts looked clean as a whistle.
I put new Dexcool in it and called it a day!

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
:iagree: 100% as well. The pressure, in the system, raises the boiling point; we really don't need the green or orange to do this for us.

The big, hot temp area, advantage is the lubricating and anti-corrosion compounds.

·
Registered
chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
46 Posts
5-year/150,000-mile Protection Silicate and phosphate-free. See your owner's manual for the type of coolant right for your vehicle. Never mix one type of coolant with the other.

Another reason is the Green Coolant mat affect your sensors thus giving you a defective reading. Refer to your owner's manual and you will see in detail why.

·
Banned
2007 chevy
4,643 Posts
5-year/150,000-mile Protection Silicate and phosphate-free. See your owner's manual for the type of coolant right for your vehicle. Never mix one type of coolant with the other.

Another reason is the Green Coolant mat affect your sensors thus giving you a defective reading. Refer to your owner's manual and you will see in detail why.
Gee wilikers, holy dead thread Batman. :rotfl:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
24 Posts
Not making a prediction in your case, just relating a past experience with switching from one type to the other: I ruined a coolant level switch in a vehicle once; only thing I did was, during a flush and fill, I switched orange to green (or it could have been other way around, I forget). Within minutes of burping the system the low coolant light came on, even though visual inspection showed it was full. The light came and went for a long time. I quit checking the level after about a month of worry (I was concerned about 60* V6 LIM gaskets). Got around to changing the switch and returning to the original coolant type, no more problems as far as that's concerned. I sold the car a year ago, though, and I'm still helping the new owner out with technical assistance (read LABOR)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.