Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
#1 choice - the DVD made by HELM for GM.

#2 choice - a paper manual made by HELM for GM.

#3 Choice - ALLDATA at your local library or a subsciption at alldatadiy.com.

#4 Choice - In my opinion, there is no other choice.

-- Dan Meyer :coffee

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I would agree, but it depends on your enthusiasm for doing things like tracing schematics to the last connector pin, rebuilding a differential, or swapping transfer cases. And how long you intend to keep the vehicle, and what's your wrench-ability rating? :undecided I tend to keep them 6-12 years and do 90% of the work after the warranty is over, so the shop manual is an investment that pays off. YMMV.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
607 Posts
I'm guessing the shop manual is pretty highly detailed? I had a Haynes with my 03, should have kept it when I traded for the 05. :duh: Problem I had with it was the sections reference other sections 5 chapters away, so you had to jump all over the book. Is the Helm the same way? I guess it has to since it would be a lot of repeated information otherwise. I'm fairly confident with a wrench, but always nervous when I restart the truck!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
The Helm has about everything, but refers a lot to GM special tools and the tech tool scanner. It is about 9" thick in three volumes of Bible-thickness paper. Thousands of pages.

Lots of wasted space due to their insane habit of illustrating a disassembly sequence, THEN using the same illustrations in reverse to document the reassembly procedure. Dumb.

The wiring charts are spread out among the systems they apply to EXCEPT for the main power feeds which are in a section called Wiring Systems. Same for component locators and connector end-views. A bit of a learning curve, but with practice you can find things quickly.

The index is useless due to many items not being indexed, and others being indexed under special GM nomenclature nobody else can guess until you see it first.

OBD error codes are likewise spread out. Sometimes I have to search for a code first using Google to find out what system it refers to, then look in the paper manual.

The wonderful thing about the Helm manual is the theory of operation sections. Allows me to expound on the way the transfer case works, A4WD, the G80 locker, etc., etc.

But I spent over a month of evenings reading it cover to cover, just to find out in general where things were located for when I needed the data later.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt_xl
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Read HVAC control

Thanks for all of your previous help. I am just now getting back to troubleshooting my rear stereo/AC control issue since it is getting pretty warm now in the NE. Do you by any chance have the part number available for the rear control unit (the display and buttons in the rear of the console)?

My local mechanic, who owes me a fix after I spent so many troubleshooting $ with him, says that my VIN (when read over teh phone to the dealer parts counter) doesn't indicate that I have the rear AC unit so no part is coming up.

John

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
694 Posts
Do you by any chance have the part number available for the rear control unit (the display and buttons in the rear of the console)? John
Try the resource section. It should have the parts break down for your truck. From there you will probably just have to do a little reading. Most members will only post the part number if it is something they have replaced themselves and know the part number off hand. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,733 Posts
I am old school and have a lot to learn on this wierd internet slang! Same at texting, don't even have it on my phone service, don't believe in it, easer to just call. I know I know sometimes it's easier and all but----:excited:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.