Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I added the Groundforce 2" Drop Springs this past summer. Love them! :thumbsup:

I've been told I need new shocks and struts by the Dealership. Since I will most likely be replacing them soon, does anybody have any suggestions? I would like to increase the performance of the suspension but not loose ride quality. I would also like to lower it more if this can be done with shocks and struts. Any ideas or suggestions of manufacturers would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
9 Posts
Well i might be able to help you a bit. I once had a drop with eibach springs and KYB struts. KYB works well with lowering springs, depending on the drop. Now you say you would like to go lower in the future...... then pick wisely on the struts and shocks. HMMMM ...... when you use a plain strut with lowering the strut piston is already riding in the lower part of the gas chamber of the strut. So if you were to go lower , it would ride even lower in the chamber which would increase your chance of bottoming out on rough roads. So you might want to find struts and shocks built to work with lowering springs. Even more important if you decide to go even lower.

Also a 2" drop on a stock set up might be why you need new ones. Because of the drop they are not riding in the " comfort zone" . So everytime you hit bumps it was destroying the seals on the pistons. Think of it like a spring in your fingers. Squeeze it half way, and then you only have half the range of motion left to play with. Well thats what a lowering does to stock or OEM struts or shocks. You are now left with half your range of dampening for driving. In other words it beats the hell out of them.

Hope my ranting can help you in some way.:m2:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks... that makes sense. Without sounding too stupid here, is the KYB specific to a vehicle with a drop? Or is that an option when ordering new ones? Meaning, do I have to order specific KYB shocks for a 2" drop and factory strut specs?

·
Registered
9 Posts
kyb is also a stock replacement. However they are known to work well with lowering with in a limit. But past 2" im not sure. Search them, they do make other apps that where a step or two up from the ones i've used. But the lower you go, the more ride comfort your gonna use. if your gonna buy new suspension, new spings, maybe look into a bag system.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought about that... Just not sure about reliability of the bags??? Something to think about I guess. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
as long as you dont cheap out on a system u should be fine. If installed correct, it should be more than fine. But buy a complete kit if you do so there is no guess work, or hard to find parts. Check out www.airbagit.com they sell complete kits with the pump and compressor already assembled. Just a plug and play really. The kits are also vehicle specific kits.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
57 Posts
Just replaced rear shocks. Easy!

This was my first time putting on shocks on any vehicle. There are only 2 bolts to each shock like previous threads stated. However, I realized that I did not have the 18mm ratchet, but instead, I had a 18mm breaker bar and the 18mm open & closed wrench. I did not jack or take the tires off. I simply laid on my back and went for it. It took me a total of 50 minutes to complete the job. Had I had a ratchet, I believe I could have done this in 30 minutes or less. I'll get someone to deal with the front struts. :)

2 Front Monroe Sensa-tract Strut Assemblies and 2 Rear Monroe Sensa-tract Shocks with shipping= $368.13 from RockAuto Parts.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts