Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 Envoy Danali with rear load leveling airbags.
I have 46k miles on it and seems bouncy and the rear air compressor seems to be working overtime. it raises rear end when i start, re-raises about 10 to 15min later when I am at a stop light, and re-raises every so often while driving. Seems the airbags are the ones that is holding the rear end up.

So with 46k seems like the shocks are done.. though seems odd with only 46k.

I have read several threads on through out this forum regarding the the suspensions. I found 1 common theme: Bilstien HD

My question is has anyone tried other brands like Ranchos? and how do you like them.

I do want a stiffer ride as well as a bit of lift on the rear end and want to stick with the airbags. I will start towing a boat and I don't want the rear end to sag. When I say a bit of lift I just don't want the rear end to depend on the airbags/compressor keep it level especially when it is just sitting it park.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Cant make the air bags lift you any higher than stock, but by swaping the shocks out it'll help a ton. Id say probably use the TBSS rear shocks, they will stiffen up the rear end but not make it overly harsh like the Bilstein HDs can. Heck, just get a set of 4 SS shocks and make your Denali ride just a little stiffer. I havent heard in a while about Ranchos on their trucks, but maybe look at them? Know Monroe Sensa-Tracs are supposed to be good, but softer than the SS and HD shocks.

The air compressor is weird for me as my 02 TB didnt have it but my SS does, but Ive only ever noticed it comes on when I first start my SS. Dont think its ever come on in the middle of a drive, but with the great WA weather Ive had the windows up and the music up more. If you're still coming to the meet in a few weeks we can compare and see whats up.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i went with the Bilstien that ShockWarehouse had on special. Can't beat that price..

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
If it was me.. i would dump the pump and bags..
Rip that crapy air ride out and put some of those Z71 springs
and shocks in the rear.

Then put the HD Bilseins in the front..
You will love that set up..trust me!!!!!

just my oppinion though

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the rear Shocks be strong enough to hold up the rear end without coils or airbags?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,483 Posts
Is the rear Shocks be strong enough to hold up the rear end without coils or airbags?
Shocks don't support weight.... They just stop you from bouncing down the road... There's nothing to support the rear-end if you don't have springs or air bags... You NEED one or the other.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
Sounds to me like you have a leak in your airbag system....the compressor shouldn't come much at all....no way as often as yours is.

And as mentioned by Delivz311, shocks have virtually NO effect on holding the car up. You may not have a shock problem at all....get the airbag problem fixed first.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Sounds to me like you have a leak in your airbag system....the compressor shouldn't come much at all....no way as often as yours is.

And as mentioned by Delivz311, shocks have virtually NO effect on holding the car up. You may not have a shock problem at all....get the airbag problem fixed first.
The air bags are automatic. So if the shocks are bad, the more the truck bounces the more the bags will self-deflate and need to be re-inflated. Like adding weight in the back, the pump needs to inflate the air bags. When you take the weight out the bags will automatically deflate.:m2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts